The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

State of Hrothgar's Chill in February 2022?

Fennwitty
Fennwitty
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Hrothgar's Chill has been through a series of rebalances since its initial (overpowered and buggy) iteration.

What's the general consensus about the set at this moment in time?

Usable?

Completely unusable?

Situational?

I have a bunch of Hrothgar's Chill gear in storage -- so I wanted to know if there was any use for them during Whitestrake's Mayhem February 2022.
PC NA

Best Answers

• Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my understanding is that it got nerfhammered so hard its dmg is no longer significant even though it ignores resists

the only time it would do any sort of reasonable dmg is someone who has 33k resists (66k total), and after battle spirit is applied it would do only like 4290 dmg (even less if you hit someone with lower resists)

i am not sure if stuff that ignored resistances like this also gets further reduced by direct mitigation (major/minor protection or undeath passive from vampire)

i dont think that this proc can crit either

so definitely a lot lower dmg, but i would probably consider it "situational" since a lot of tanky people are also using immovable pots to prevent cc (preventing procs of hrothgar to begin with)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Answer ✓
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was ignoring battlespirit, therefore doing double damage.

They fixed the battlespirit bug it had.

Then cut the damage in half on the set also.

In Summary?:

A bunch of time and money was spent developing the tank counter set. It was bugged and broken upon release, then broken again the other direction. It is now, and has been for quite some time, beyond useless and pretty much just decon/vendor trash.
    Edited by McTaterskins on February 18, 2022 7:09PM
    Answer ✓
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel like ZOS overnerfed Hrothgar to the point nobody uses it anymore. Yes, it was too strong and hitting for 12-16k. They should have halved that to explode for 6-8k damage against low armor enemies standing near super tanks. I feel like that would have been balanced.

Now it hits for 3-4k max and around 1-2k on average.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on February 19, 2022 12:16PM
    PC NA
    Answer ✓
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It died for Dcon's sins.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It was ignoring battlespirit, therefore doing double damage.

They fixed the battlespirit bug it had.

Then cut the damage in half on the set also.

^ Exactly this. It does 25% of the damage it used to. It's a very weak set now.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on February 19, 2022 12:15PM
    PC NA
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    The past few days I've been in GH running into huge battles and not once have I been hit with it. My guess is that it got nerfed so hard that hardly anyone runs it these days
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok thanks all. I'll leave it in storage until I have to reclaim the space for something else :(
    PC NA
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »
    Ok thanks all. I'll leave it in storage until I have to reclaim the space for something else :(

I have a couple of friends who still use it with decent results. It pairs nicely with streak.
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »
    Fennwitty wrote: »

I have a couple of friends who still use it with decent results. It pairs nicely with streak.

it's gonna proc on mines next update also, i plan on testing it then :D
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    They should have halved that to explode for 6-8k damage against low armor enemies standing near super tanks. I feel like that would have been balanced.

The idea is super screwed up in the first place - why do we need to punish low armor players even more?
    We needed anti-tank set, it wasn't one, it was run on tanks to kill everything non-tank in a huge AoE radius (why does it even need to be AoE in the first place?)

Long story short, I'm happy this set is overnerfed. Good riddance.
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »
    They should have halved that to explode for 6-8k damage against low armor enemies standing near super tanks. I feel like that would have been balanced.

The idea is super screwed up in the first place - why do we need to punish low armor players even more?
    We needed anti-tank set, it wasn't one, it was run on tanks to kill everything non-tank in a huge AoE radius (why does it even need to be AoE in the first place?)

This tbh, the set is dumb in the first place. I can't control other players actions, if a 50k health tank jumps into a fight I'm in, we shouldn't be punished for it with insane proc damage. I once got a 30k hrothgar proc because of a 50k tank in my battleground match. I can't even choose my teammates or control if my teammates follow me in BGS so I get punished with 30k hrothgars for it. The set was very badly set up in the beginning
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »

They should get rid of the aoe, put the damage back to how it was (minus the bugs), and add an addition requirement to proc it. It was being used by tanks and that is a problem, so I think they should make sets like this have a condition where it cannot proc if your HP or armor is above a certain amount. If the user is over 30k hp it cannot proc or over 20k armor it cannot proc. It is a constant problem with all these sets where they are being used by the groups/people they are meant to counter. Would be so easy if they just get a little more creative with the proc conditions. Anti group sets for instance should not proc if your group size is over 4.
    I wrote a poem that I titled, "The ganker's delight."

As you lay upon the ground, cry not little pawn.
    The pain will pass as quickly as my blade did take you,
    but my delight will last and you will respawn.
    My heart simply cannot contain my joy, when I ply my trade.

The fault lies with you, your skill was lacking.
    Now your salt is mine forever, can't you hear the laughing?
    Once you were so proud and now you are reduced to this.
    A miserable, loud deuced fool.

With every tear you drip, with every excuse you let slip.
    All of your insecurities and worries bring a smile to my lip.
    From your despair I have ripped endless glories,
    but our affair is over now. Be afraid for I will return for more.

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hrothgar's Chill set 5th piece bonus should do this...
    • 5 items: Stunning or Immobilizing your enemy causes them to burst with frost magic, applying the Chilled status effect and dealing 50% of their Physical Resistance or Spell Resistance, whichever is higher as Frost Damage to themselves and enemies within 8 meters of them. This effect can occur once every 7 seconds and ignores resistances.

or
    • 5 items: Stunning or Immobilizing your enemy causes them to burst with frost magic, applying the Chilled status effect and dealing 25% of their total Physical Resistance and Spell Resistance as Frost Damage to themselves and enemies within 8 meters of them. This effect can occur once every 7 seconds and ignores Spell Resistance.

The first one I believe most players run around with 15-33K magic resistance meaning this damage in PVP would be 3.5K-8K.

The second one damage would be bumped up a bit and would cap out at 8K. I would put a hard cap on the set to ensure it isn't OP in PVP. If the set over performs damage wise just extend the cool down to 10 seconds.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second one damage would be bumped up a bit and would cap out at 8K. I would put a hard cap on the set to ensure it isn't OP in PVP. If the set over performs damage wise just extend the cool down to 10 seconds.

Or you could just go back boring old oblivion damage for annoying people with stupid grade resists - except they overnerfed that too. IMHO making oblivion damage a bit stronger again would be a far better option and create a fairly specific counter build to hunt tanks (especially if they also made knight slayer more useful than a chocolate teapot again)
    Too many toons not enough time
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hrothgar's Chill set 5th piece bonus should do this...
    • 5 items: Stunning or Immobilizing your enemy causes them to burst with frost magic, applying the Chilled status effect and dealing 50% of their Physical Resistance or Spell Resistance, whichever is higher as Frost Damage to themselves and enemies within 8 meters of them. This effect can occur once every 7 seconds and ignores resistances.

or
    • 5 items: Stunning or Immobilizing your enemy causes them to burst with frost magic, applying the Chilled status effect and dealing 25% of their total Physical Resistance and Spell Resistance as Frost Damage to themselves and enemies within 8 meters of them. This effect can occur once every 7 seconds and ignores Spell Resistance.

The first one I believe most players run around with 15-33K magic resistance meaning this damage in PVP would be 3.5K-8K.

i think the problem with this set is it is supposed to be anti tank, but it does a poor job at it
    • the aoe dmg is not really needed
    • proc condition requiring stun/immob is useless on a tank running anything that makes them immune to cc/immob

the way i would see this changed would be to make it single target, increase the amount of dmg it does based on resists (go back to closer to original values such as like 25% of total resists), and make it trigger on single target direct dmg (or something similar that is not relying on cc)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014