The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Ways to increase my DPS "magsorc"

preevious
preevious
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello, everyone.

I'm currently looking for ways to increase my DPS.
I stand currently as follow :
  • 39k DPS on the 3 mil dummy
  • 81k DPS on the trial dummy

While those numbers are already nice, I still wish to increase them, because why not?
And thus, I'm looking for stuff I might be doing wrong.

My setup :
  1. 5 pc siroria (backbarred) - all divine, staff is precise with fire enchant. (all golded out)
  2. 5 pc mother's sorrow (body) - all divine, jewels are 1 infused, 2 bloodthristy (all golded out)
  3. 1 maelstrom inferno (frontbarred) - infused with berserker enchant (golded)
  4. 2 mismatched monster pieces giving crit % (divine, golded)
  5. Thief mundus

My rotation is as follows :
Unstable wall --> lightweight trap --> SWAP --> volatile familiar --> daedric prey --> crystal frag *5 --> daedric prey --> SWAP --> unstable wall --> lightweight trap --> SWAP --> volatile familiar --> crystal frag * 2 --> daedric prey --> crystal frag *3 -- > SWAP (and repeat)
(it allow me 85%-90% uptime on prey)

Ultimate is greater storm atronach on cooldown

I use lightweight trap for minor force. I get better number with traps than with a magicka skill in addition with acceleration, because I can slot bound armor instead of acceleration, and thus my damage increases.

What I know I can do :
  1. farm perfected siroria .. while I'm pretty confident I can do it, it's hard to find a group going that does not ask for the achievement, wich I don't have yet.
  2. farm perfected maelstrom .. rng's a ***, and I shudder at the tought.
  3. Increase my LA ratio (I'm currently between 0.7 and 0.8, most of the time)

I wish to keep frags for my spammable, because since it got under 1 sec cast time, it works seamlessly in a rotation, and it makes such a satisfying *thud* on impact.
Beside, slotting another spammable would force me to unslot bound armor, loosing magicka (and thus, damage)

Any tips, gear-wise, trait-wise or skill-wise?
Thanks !
Edited by preevious on February 21, 2022 1:25PM
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    - double damage enchants can be better than berseker on 3 mil. Try fire back bar, shock front bar
    - jewelry 3x bloodthirsty if you are ok with sustain
    - try Shadow mundus instead of Thief. Even if you have not that awesome crit chance, Shadow can be better
    - get rid of lowest damage skill, i think it is familiar, so get Hunting Curse. Replace familiar with whatever the hell: Inner light, Bound Aegis, Camouflaged Hunter
    - add Dawnbreaker ult on front bar for even more spell damage (continue to use Atro, ofcuz)
    - try Psijic spamable and Crystal only when it procs
    - try Zaan or Kjalnar’s Nightmare
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »
    - double damage enchants can be better than berseker on 3 mil. Try fire back bar, shock front bar
    - try Shadow mundus instead of Thief. Even if you have not that awesome crit chance, Shadow can be better
    - get rid of lowest damage skill, i think it is familiar, so get Hunting Curse. Replace familiar with whatever the hell: Inner light, Bound Aegis, Camouflaged Hunter
    - add Dawnbreaker ult on front bar for even more spell damage (continue to use Atro, ofcuz)

Ok, thanks for the reply,
    • Double damage is fine, but I'd rather keep my trial efficiency, it feels more important
    • My sustain is indeed ok. I should indeed transmute my infused neckalce to bloodthirsty. I'll definitely do it.
    • I used to use mundus when I was wearing MS/medusa. Ever since I went MS/siroria, thief perform a bit better (not a lot better, but still)
    • That's unexpected. I'll try, to switch it in favor of inner light (since I already have bound aegis slotted), but I wouldn't have tried that on my own
    • Indeed .. I wonder how it did not occur to me. rn, I have elemental rage on that bar. But indeed, dawnbreaker would add 3% soell power. That's a great advice, thanks.
    • Problem is, if I slot elemental weapon, I have to unslot something .. Mu numbers are better with frags/bound aegis than with frags / ele weapons (it might change if I improve my LA ratio, tho .)
    • Actually, my numbers are exactly the same between zaan and the 2 aforementioned mismatched pieces. Which is why I ditched zaan in the first place. Since zaan can be broken by lots of things, the mismatched pieces are more reliable for the same numbers.

Anyway, there is some things I'll definitely change, in that list, and others I'll try.
    Thanks !
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    preevious wrote: »
    Hello, everyone.

I'm currently looking for ways to increase my DPS.
    I stand currently as follow :
    • 39k DPS on the 3 mil dummy
    • 81k DPS on the trial dummy

While those numbers are already nice, I still wish to increase them, because why not?
    And thus, I'm looking for stuff I might be doing wrong.

My setup :
    1. 5 pc siroria (backbarred) - all divine, staff is precise with fire enchant. (all golded out)
    2. 5 pc mother's sorrow (body) - all divine, jewels are 1 infused, 2 bloodthristy (all golded out)
    3. 1 maelstrom inferno (frontbarred) - infused with berserker enchant (golded)
    4. 2 mismatched monster pieces giving crit % (divine, golded)
    5. Thief mundus

My rotation is as follows :
    Unstable wall --> lightweight trap --> SWAP --> volatile familiar --> daedric prey --> crystal frag *5 --> daedric prey --> SWAP --> unstable wall --> lightweight trap --> SWAP --> volatile familiar --> crystal frag * 2 --> daedric prey --> crystal frag *3 -- > SWAP (and repeat)
    (it allow me 85%-90% uptime on prey)

Ultimate is greater storm atronach on cooldown

I use lightweight trap for minor force. I get better number with traps than with a magicka skill in addition with acceleration, because I can slot bound armor instead of acceleration, and thus my damage increases.

What I know I can do :
    1. farm perfected siroria .. while I'm pretty confident I can do it, it's hard to find a group going that does not ask for the achievement, wich I don't have yet.
    2. farm perfected maelstrom .. rng's a ***, and I shudder at the tought.
    3. Increase my LA ratio (I'm currently between 0.7 and 0.8, most of the time)

I wish to keep frags for my spammable, because since it got under 1 sec cast time, it works seamlessly in a rotation, and it makes such a satisfying *thud* on impact.
    Beside, slotting another spammable would force me to unslot bound armor, loosing magicka (and thus, damage)

Any tips, gear-wise, trait-wise or skill-wise?
    Thanks !

You will barely notice 1 and you wont notice 2 (with curated drops, its really not that bad). 3 will go a long long way. If you want to break 100k DPS, you really need to be north of about .9 on a mag sorc. This is the elephant in the room. Under .8 LA/sec needs work, full stop. Gear cant fix Pace.

Option 4, learn to play dynamically. Dynamic sorc is best describe as a 6 count. Daedric prey always on the 1. Prey, 5 skills, prey, 5 skills. Really the only exception is a frag proc on skill 6, then cast your frags over prey. That said, if your pace is under .9, you are probably better off with a static rotation.

Minor things:

1. I believe you can get more DPS out of barbed trap. You dont need to cast quite as often. Lightweight may be better in a lot of actual content, but truthfully, I think dropping trap all together and running something like medusa or Tzogvins is a better option when not on the dummy for a lot of fights.

2. How about something like Boundless storm? You should have room, it definitely puts out noticable damage, and you dont need to cast that often. Could also look to add something like Degen or Orbs, they require a little more micromanagement as they don't last as long, but you will get more DPS.

3. Are you running an execute? If using frags as a spammable, it is something to consider because you should have room. Personally, I still like old school sorc without frags as a spammable, but gun to my head, frags spam is more DPS. I think Frag spam makes more sense with a static rotation and traditional spam like Ele weapon makes more sense with a dynamic rotation, because you cant bar swap off a hard cast frags without losing pace in your rotation. You can certainly hard cast frags and play dynamically, but it turns one of the easier rotations into one of the harder ones.

4. Why are you back barring Siroria and Front barring VMA staff? That is backwards (or maybe you just have your spam on bar 2?) You want your front bar to have the Sirora staff/precise trait with your spam, prey, and execute (if you run an execute) and you want your back bar to have your Unstable Wall with your infused Maelstrom staff.

5. If you are going to focus on a gear farm, get yourself a Kilt (dummy) and Death Dealers Fete (any fight you cant keep up kilt stacks for the most part).

6. See the first paragraph. Pace is far and away your biggest problem. Something to consider, if your pace is really in the .7-.8 range, my guess is you arent hard casting frags as well as you think you are. Yes frags can be hard cast within the one second GCD, but doing so is not trivial. You might find your pace goes up signifcantly when you go old school (traditional spam, only cast frags when instant proc). Pace of .9+ in an old school rotation with ele weapon as your spam is going to outperform pace of say .75 with frag hard cast as your spam.

Did I mention pace is everything? Pace is everything (assuming you arent screwing the rest of it up to get there).

Edit: For what its worth, don't drop Familiar (its close to 10k DPS), and dont replace prey with curse unless you are dropping both pets. Play a no pet sorc if you want, but your damage is going to suffer. Sorry, but just I dont think that is good advice. I assume you are also running twilight tormenter, just not casting it (as you should, only cast tormenter pre fight). If you arent running twilight, run it. Also, thief is your better option almost all the time.

Edit 2: Went back and made a few changes to better explain some stuff.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on February 22, 2022 9:56PM
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot, Oreyn.

I did a few more parses, and I'm still stuck at 82.
    However, a close look at combat metics show me that my pace does not seem so bad. Average delay between 2 cast of unstable wall is 10.40s. In a ideal world, it should be 10, but do you think that 0.40 lost per rotation add up a lot?
    Also, I cast frags 119 times. Since frags amounts for half my rotation, I should cast it 125 times on a 4min 10s fight.
    Do you think it's an issue? Do I not read those numbers correctly?
    (honnest question, there. I'm not trying to defend myself, so, do speak your mind if those numbers are of)

I miss a lot of weaving, that's why I hover between 07 and 08 la per sec (closer to 8, though .. 7.7 or 7.8, most of the time)

So, To answer all your points :

1) Using traps actually increased my DPS over medusa gear, even in real content. Sure, trap does less damage that the skill it replaced (entropy), but having a stam skill in my rotation increase my sustain, and having minor force on a skill frees a 5-item bonus. And I use lightweight traps over barbed traps because I'm ranged.
    Do you think the difference between the 2 would be noticeable?

2) I could slot boundless storm, but I don't know what to give up for it. I need traps for minor force, I need my two pets.
    The only option would be giving up bound aegis, but the max magicka loss would lower my damage. Damage still scale woth max magicka, right? You think it would be better to slot storm instead? (also, the range on storms is not great)

3) I thought about an execute, indeed. I would use mage's wrath, instead of frags on execute range (except when instant frags procs) However, I'd have to give up bound aegis for it. Would it be worth itn, you think?

4) Yeah, that's my bad. I'm indeed backbarring maelstrom. My spammable is on the bar I spend 80% of my time on, Siroria.

5) Yes, a Kilt. Since I don't use a full monster set, there's no real point in not having a mythic item. The bonus on the kilt are more than enough to cover for the loss of a light piece. I'll farm it. Death's dealer is nice, too. And also, I was thining maybe Valkyn's? 200 spell damage seems better that 680 crit chance.

6) For my pace, I told you my numbers. I'll post a pic right under. Can you tell me if it seems off? I do miss a lot of weave, because of my dumb fingers, that, I notice.

As for the dynamic play, the semi-dynamic rotation stated above gives me over 80% of prey uptime, and is easy enough so that I don't screw it up.

Parse :

https://ibb.co/6smnKJg

https://ibb.co/sQXWBBH
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Oreyn_Bearclaw

Ok. Yes. The kilt. Indeed.
    +6k DPS, I'm at 88k, now. Thansk a bunch.
    Now, if I could improve my LA ratio, and figure why I don't have minor force on all the time despite using traps, I'd break the 90k barrier.

Thanks again.
    Edited by preevious on February 24, 2022 8:59PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Oreyn_Bearclaw

Ok. Yes. The kilt. Indeed.
    +6k DPS, I'm at 88k, now. Thansk a bunch.
    Now, if I could improve my LA ratio, and figure why I don't have minor force on all the time despite using traps, I'd break the 90k barrier.

Thanks again.

You wont get 100% uptime on minor force using trap. Anything north of 90% uptime is REALLY good. Even with sets that give minor force, it wont be quite 100%. Even Tzogvin, that carries over to your back bar takes some time to build. Medusa could do it if you double barred it, but not worth dropping your VMA staff. Honestly, if you have better than 80% uptime, i wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it. Your 70% is not terrible. I bet it goes up with barbed trap.

Pace is everything. Just a guess, but you are probably going to be around .85 or so LAs/Sec with very few misses to consistantly break into the 90s. To break 100k, you need to be north of .9, assuming you are doing everything else fairly well. I would focus more on that than how much time between blockade casts or number of frag casts TBH.
    Thanks a lot, Oreyn.

I did a few more parses, and I'm still stuck at 82.
    However, a close look at combat metics show me that my pace does not seem so bad. Average delay between 2 cast of unstable wall is 10.40s. In a ideal world, it should be 10, but do you think that 0.40 lost per rotation add up a lot?
    Also, I cast frags 119 times. Since frags amounts for half my rotation, I should cast it 125 times on a 4min 10s fight.
    Do you think it's an issue? Do I not read those numbers correctly?
    (honnest question, there. I'm not trying to defend myself, so, do speak your mind if those numbers are of)

I miss a lot of weaving, that's why I hover between 07 and 08 la per sec (closer to 8, though .. 7.7 or 7.8, most of the time)

So, To answer all your points :

1) Using traps actually increased my DPS over medusa gear, even in real content. Sure, trap does less damage that the skill it replaced (entropy), but having a stam skill in my rotation increase my sustain, and having minor force on a skill frees a 5-item bonus. And I use lightweight traps over barbed traps because I'm ranged.
    Do you think the difference between the 2 would be noticeable?

2) I could slot boundless storm, but I don't know what to give up for it. I need traps for minor force, I need my two pets.
    The only option would be giving up bound aegis, but the max magicka loss would lower my damage. Damage still scale woth max magicka, right? You think it would be better to slot storm instead? (also, the range on storms is not great)

3) I thought about an execute, indeed. I would use mage's wrath, instead of frags on execute range (except when instant frags procs) However, I'd have to give up bound aegis for it. Would it be worth itn, you think?

4) Yeah, that's my bad. I'm indeed backbarring maelstrom. My spammable is on the bar I spend 80% of my time on, Siroria.

5) Yes, a Kilt. Since I don't use a full monster set, there's no real point in not having a mythic item. The bonus on the kilt are more than enough to cover for the loss of a light piece. I'll farm it. Death's dealer is nice, too. And also, I was thining maybe Valkyn's? 200 spell damage seems better that 680 crit chance.

6) For my pace, I told you my numbers. I'll post a pic right under. Can you tell me if it seems off? I do miss a lot of weave, because of my dumb fingers, that, I notice.

As for the dynamic play, the semi-dynamic rotation stated above gives me over 80% of prey uptime, and is easy enough so that I don't screw it up.

Parse :

https://ibb.co/6smnKJg

https://ibb.co/sQXWBBH

1.Trap is more damage than Tzogvin or Medusa, but its not a lot and that bar slot for a shield or self heal can be important. It can also be the better option in places like VAS+2 where you are constantly moving. I really dont have a firm answer on the diff between barbed and lightweight. Historically, both were really only used for minor force, now, because of how things scale, the DOT component is not to be dismissed. Personally I use Barbed when I can be in Melee, and Tzogvins when I cant for the most part.

2. I would need to see your bar setup. dropping aegis is a DPS loss, but boundless is a DPS gain. I see very little reason to stack your back bar with things like aegis. For Max Parse, I am going like this:

Front: 2 Pets, Frags, Mages Wrath (or bound Aegis), Prey, Dawnbreaker
    Back:2 Pets, Wall, Orbs (or boundless/hurricane), trap, Strom Attro.

The reason you use hurricane over boundless is that its a stamina dump, so better sustain. The better your pace, the harder your sustain is. You may find your sustain begins to struggle as your LA/Sec gets better.

3. That is the trade off. You typically drop bound aegis for an execute or a traditional spam if you want to use it. All are within a few K DPS. If your execute rotation is on point, then Mages wrath is going to be a bit more damage.

4.Okay good. Haha

5. One monster piece for crit plus a mythic is usually your best play. You wont beat the kilt on a dummy. In an optimized group, crit is usually your best one line bonus, all else equal. Medium armor is not a DPS loss especially since they changed the passives recently. In fact its potentially more damage than light assuming you are at the pen cap and sustain is not an issue. 6 light/1 medium is my standard, but there are fights that people will go as many as 4-5 medium on a mag DPS (usually they are short bursty fights like the spider boss in VHOF, are stack and burns under a minute).

6.Actually, these are unusual, and not in a terrible way. Your pace is actually pretty darn good. You are missing a LOT of light attacks. Frags is far and away your biggest culprit. Something is going on there. If I miss more than 5 light attacks on a trial dummy, its a throw away a parse. You missed 30 just on frags and 5 on Prey, 2 on blockade. You need to really work on your frag weave, or perhaps, play a traditional spammable. My guess is that your Blockade misses are coming off bar swaps, so perhaps look at that as well. Not quite sure why Prey would be an outlier TBH. Get those missed LAs into the single digits and you will break 90k easily. Your Frag weave is the Elephant in the Room at the moment.

Dynamic vs static is a decision you have to make. Some classes I play fairly static, some I play fairly dynamic. Even a dynamic rotation can become pretty scripted after awhile.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on February 24, 2022 9:53PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and go 3 bloodthirsty on jewelry. Its a no brainer for more damage.
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Oreyn_Bearclaw

Thanks a lot, this is very encouraging.

When I talk about my uptime of minor force, it's really some kind of an issue. I have an uptime of (prepare to be underwhelmed) a whopping 60%. I think that some of my casts land behind the dummy, where it can't proc, thus losing a full rotation's worth of traps.

And yeah, it's good to know that my pace is correct. I'll work on those frags weave something fierce, because 35 LA-worth of damage loss is really an issue. Landing those attacks would allow me to have a better sustain, since stuff would die quicker. Cursed be my dumb fingers.

My sustain took a slight hit by slotting a med piece, but on the dummy, it's not noticeable, I can still last the whole fight without being tapped out.

As for mage's wrath, as soon as I get a bit better with my weave, I'll try a few parses with it replacing aegis.

For my slots, I still have one "free slot" on my backbar, wich I use for survivability (shield or self heal). But since it's on my backbar, I don't spend much time there anyway, so it's not a real loss not slotting aegis there.
    Bars are as follow :
    Front : 2 pets, curse, aegis, frags, strom atro
    Back : 2 pets, wall of elements, trap, [survivability skill], dawnbreaker.
    (maybe I should switch ultimates .. but sorc skills also gives spell dmg, so, it would be the same)

Anyway, thanks again for your advices and your analyze. Really.
    It's good to know that my pace (wich is everything, then) is good and that I have "easier" misshaps to fix.

And for static vs dynamic .. I'll stay as is for now. That semi-dynamic rotation I use gives me 85% uptime on prey. That'll be enough until I improve my weaves..

It's up to me, now.

• preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, so, after following your advices @Oreyn_Bearclaw ..

I pay extra attention to my weave and went to 3 bloodthirsty jewels. I'm now missing only a dozen LA or so during the parse (still need a bit of work). My pace suffered slightly (for 10.4 for a rotation to 10.9) but overall, my DPS increased plenty. The pace will come back.

I stand now a little over 92k.
    90k broken, and I'm grateful. (I increased 10k thanks to you)
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    don't forget that in dungeons you won't get even a half of trial dummy bonuses. So aiming to increase your damage on atro dummy, can leave you with so-so dps in vet hm dungeons, especially with heavy movement boss.

Atro dummy is a trap for dungeons. You get nice numbers and when you get into dungeon you realize - "that guy with heavy attack build do 70% of group dps, and all my super duper rotation is just meh".
    Edited by mocap on February 25, 2022 4:10PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, so, after following your advices @Oreyn_Bearclaw ..

I pay extra attention to my weave and went to 3 bloodthirsty jewels. I'm now missing only a dozen LA or so during the parse (still need a bit of work). My pace suffered slightly (for 10.4 for a rotation to 10.9) but overall, my DPS increased plenty. The pace will come back.

I stand now a little over 92k.
    90k broken, and I'm grateful. (I increased 10k thanks to you)

That's great. 100k Incoming!!!

Focus first on not missing LAs. Pace will come. Frag weaves are definitely a little tricky. If you dont have a channel timer, they are really helpful. Basically just a little bar at the bottom of your screen that fills as your channel goes off. Templar jabs are a similar animal. Nothing wrong with just weaving 20-30 frags in a row (or however long you can sustain). Check your pace and missed LAs, rinse, repeat. Do that a few times a day for a week and you will be amazed what it does.
    don't forget that in dungeons you won't get even a half of trial dummy bonuses. So aiming to increase your damage on atro dummy, can leave you with so-so dps in vet hm dungeons, especially with heavy movement boss.

Atro dummy is a trap for dungeons. You get nice numbers and when you get into dungeon you realize - "that guy with heavy attack build do 70% of group dps, and all my super duper rotation is just meh".

Nonsense. There is no better way to practice your rotation than a dummy. Use the dummy to commit your rotation to muscle memory, that way when the mechanics fly, you dont miss a beat.

There is a myth that people who practice on dummies must somehow be bad in actual content. As far as I can tell, its perpetuated by people with lousy DPS. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Who gives a flying you know what if you dont have the same buffs in a dungeon. Sure the numbers may not be as high, but a good rotation is going to maximize your DPS for a given situation, that's the goal. Trial dummies give you all the buffs so you can objectively compare your parses, both to yourself and others. A better rotation is more DPS on a dummy, and more DPS in actual content, every single time. The only thing to consider in four man is that the fights dont last as long, so you need to pay a little more attention when casting long duration skills as to whether they are worth it (dont cast a 10 second DOT if the Boss is going to be dead in 5 seconds). In other words, you may get a little heavy handed with your spammable.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Oreyn_Bearclaw

Thanks a lot, this is very encouraging.

When I talk about my uptime of minor force, it's really some kind of an issue. I have an uptime of (prepare to be underwhelmed) a whopping 60%. I think that some of my casts land behind the dummy, where it can't proc, thus losing a full rotation's worth of traps.

And yeah, it's good to know that my pace is correct. I'll work on those frags weave something fierce, because 35 LA-worth of damage loss is really an issue. Landing those attacks would allow me to have a better sustain, since stuff would die quicker. Cursed be my dumb fingers.

My sustain took a slight hit by slotting a med piece, but on the dummy, it's not noticeable, I can still last the whole fight without being tapped out.

As for mage's wrath, as soon as I get a bit better with my weave, I'll try a few parses with it replacing aegis.

For my slots, I still have one "free slot" on my backbar, wich I use for survivability (shield or self heal). But since it's on my backbar, I don't spend much time there anyway, so it's not a real loss not slotting aegis there.
    Bars are as follow :
    Front : 2 pets, curse, aegis, frags, strom atro
    Back : 2 pets, wall of elements, trap, [survivability skill], dawnbreaker.
    (maybe I should switch ultimates .. but sorc skills also gives spell dmg, so, it would be the same)

Anyway, thanks again for your advices and your analyze. Really.
    It's good to know that my pace (wich is everything, then) is good and that I have "easier" misshaps to fix.

And for static vs dynamic .. I'll stay as is for now. That semi-dynamic rotation I use gives me 85% uptime on prey. That'll be enough until I improve my weaves..

It's up to me, now.

Def switch your ultimates. Skills you slot just for passives (Dawnbreaker, aegis) make the most sense on your front bar. If you want attro on front bar for ease of casting, that's fine. A decent option in actual content is to front bar Attro (good passive buffs, just not as good as dawnbreaker), and back bar Destro ult. That way you have an AOE ult when you need it.

Not too go too crazy, but give this a try. Put boundless on your back bar (it is technically a survival skill :wink:). Morph to Barbed trap.

Now, with your rotation, simply alternate Barbed Trap and Boundless where you are now casting Lightweight Trap. Its a common trick in a 2 line rotation like yours. Each line is roughly 9-10 seconds with minor variations. Take two longer duration skills, and just alternate them in the same spot. Your uptimes wont be perfect, but they will be pretty darn good. You will end over casting boundless slightly, but who cares.

Unstable wall --> lightweight trap Barbed Trap--> SWAP --> volatile familiar --> daedric prey --> crystal frag *5 --> daedric prey --> SWAP --> unstable wall --> lightweight trap Boundless Storm --> SWAP --> volatile familiar --> crystal frag * 2 --> daedric prey --> crystal frag *3 -- > SWAP

*Pro tip, Barbed trap can be part of your opening because it wont trigger the fight until it goes off, and there is a small delay. Sorc can get pretty creative here. Before you engage the dummy, you can cast both pets, drop your ultimate (far enough away that it doesnt hit the boss when it lands, drop your trap and then begin the rotation. If you go that route, switch the order of Trap and Storm above. Openings can definitely get a little cheesy on a dummy (people will do things like swap a skill quickly to channeled acceleration and back again), but they are worth practicing. Good player do skill swaps in actual content when pushing score, depending on the fight. Some bosses that spawn and a given location, its worth knowing how to get everything ticking as quick as you can early in the fight.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on February 25, 2022 5:01PM
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a myth that people who practice on dummies must somehow be bad in actual content.
    OP will feel it for yourself. Too many cases like PUG vet dlc, 3dd runs, normal trials, progressive trials. Needless to say that double pet sorc is already not welcomed in last one. Stationary sets like Siroria are not welcomed in dungeons, since their bosses moving like sonic hedgehog.

OP get some nice advices here for both dungeons and trials. Hope it helps.
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mocap

Actually, I feel like Oreyn is right. Each time I improved my parses, I increased my performance in trial and dungeons.
    Back even when I was parsing at 75k, I was very often the most damaging DPS in dungeon (even the vDLC ones, even with Siroria). Granted, I pug, but still.
    Increased parses always meant increased damage in real content.

Siroria is not "that" stationary. You can re-enter the circle while it stands, and refresh it. If you know what you do, you can use it in most content.
    Now, it's true you gotta adapt., but oreyn's right about the rotation. Practicing it helps in any content.

@Oreyn_Bearclaw

I don't mind switching ultimates, it's not harder to cast it from back bar ... howerver, if it scales when cast, it'll be a fair bit stronger on the front bar.
    I'll also test barbed and boundless, even if I worry about loosing my range. It's confortable.

For the opening, I hadn't really thought about that. It does feel like cheese, but on a full parse, the gained amount is negligible, anyway, so I might as well try when I'll have my weave spot on.

Thanks.
    Edited by preevious on February 25, 2022 5:41PM