The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Changing build

GeminiEleven11
I have been a mag sorc for years and was wondering if I can take this toon and change it to a mag tank. How would I go about doing it if possible? Thx!
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm using the armory to change my mag sorc into a sorc tank (stamina). Without buying any additional slots, you have two slots in the armory, so you can save your current build and for example a tank build.

To change your build you simply visit a rededication shine. I usually go to the ones near the Vivec Temple wayshrine. You can reassign your skill points there or even change your attributes at the other shrine.

If you have enough skill points, you could also manually change your skills.Gear can be changed manually, too. In case you're on PC, you could use one of the addons that can save builds. One is named Alphagear and the other one I know is called Dressing Room. Both can save and load a combination of skills and gear, but in contrast to the armory, both can't do anything about your attributes or different morphs of skills.

If you want to know how to build a magicka tank, then I unfortunately can't help you. I sometimes merely used the Plague Doctor set and the Undauted taunt (Inner Rage or Inner Fire, not sure which one) to act as tank when I was doing dungeons with friends, but I don't thinik this approach would work in DLC dungeons or vet stuff.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been a mag sorc for years and was wondering if I can take this toon and change it to a mag tank. How would I go about doing it if possible? Thx!

For most normal dungeons just swap your gear to include some heavy armour (medusa/mother's sorrow works just as well with medusa chest/legs). For more health swap one with beekeeper or plague doctor. If you are good with shields, lightning form and the like you should have no trouble even with some DLC content.

If you use the armoury and are on PC install Caro's Skill Point Saver and AlphaGear or Dressing Room. Then you can avoid the cash shop penalty for respec. Simply save your setup in Caro and Dressing Room, restore an empty armoury slot and then setuup and save your new configuration in Caro/Dressing Room again. When you want to switch back restore the empty armoury slot and restore with Caro and Dressing Room.

You never want to have all your armoury slots filled as you lose all the free respec they gave you, and fortunately you can do the rest with addons and avoid the monetization.
    To change your build you simply visit a rededication shine. I usually go to the ones near the Vivec Temple wayshrine. You can reassign your skill points there or even change your attributes at the other shrine.

Waste of gold. Just use the armoury blank restore each time.

Personally I'd create another toon for the tank if you want to do it more seriously. If you get into more serious end game trial content you end up carting arouund a bunch of different sets for trials and group setup and it all takes inventory space. You can also practice tanking nicely if its new by simply getting to 10 and queueing back to back for dungeons until you hit 50 (best to stop at 45 if you have ESO+ and then do pledges to avoid the DLC stuff). As there is basically no queue time it's normally pretty fast especially if you pick a day when there are two easy dungeons in the pledges so you get those again and again 8)
    Too many toons not enough time
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, using the shrines costs gold. But unless OP has reset scrolls, in order to set up either a blank a build in the armory or one with different attributes and morphs this needs to be done once. Since I didn't know if OP is on PC, the text became a bit clumsy.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    joerginger wrote: »
    Sure, using the shrines costs gold. But unless OP has reset scrolls, in order to set up either a blank a build in the armory or one with different attributes and morphs this needs to be done once. Since I didn't know if OP is on PC, the text became a bit clumsy.

At least on PC you can restore an armoury slot you've never saved to (and then save it back empty in case they ever fix it 8))

Edited by etchedpixels on February 24, 2022 9:30PM
    Too many toons not enough time