The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Argonian or Nord tank?

Ringing_Nirnroot
Ringing_Nirnroot
✭✭✭✭✭
I plan on making a DK tank, I was wondering which race is it better to tank on? (Note: I usually pug dungeons)

Best Answer

• El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I happen to have one of each, a Nord DK and an Argonian Warden. Argonian is easier because of the poison and disease resistance and the boost to your magicka and stamina resources. Nord is not a bad alternative, with the ultimate generation being the reason. Both are viable in all content, dungeons or trials.
    Answer ✓
  • Ringing_Nirnroot
    Ringing_Nirnroot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I happen to have one of each, a Nord DK and an Argonian Warden. Argonian is easier because of the poison and disease resistance and the boost to your magicka and stamina resources. Nord is not a bad alternative, with the ultimate generation being the reason. Both are viable in all content, dungeons or trials.

Thank you 😊 I’ll make a argonian, it will be my first time tanking
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thank you 😊 I’ll make a argonian, it will be my first time tanking

Well, have fun with it. As its your first time, I'll give you a few tips and try not to overwhelm you.

My favorite easy set for dungeons on my Argonian is Mighty Glacier. The snare you get with wardens with Gripping Shards is perfect for that set, but claws on DKs work well too. You can combine anything with it. I use Yolna, Drake's, Leeching Plate, or Crimson Oath for a strong group that doesn't need extra resistance, and Vrol's for squishier groups. Or you can go full selfish if you are the squishy group member and go with Akaviri Dragonguard and Plague Doctor. Tremorscale for damage, or Earthgore/Lord Warden for group health

Coming from a DPS background, you will want to constantly hit buttons. You don't need to as a tank. Keep track of your timers for taunts and debuffs instead. Paying attention to boss mechanics is the most important thing to do. Know when to bash, move, and block. With a correct build, you will not have to perma-block and drain your resources.

Sounds weird, but best place to start tanking is a normal DLC dungeon you have run as a DD. Base dungeons are too easy and tanks aren't needed. DLC dungeons have mechanics and their vet one-shots can hurt without killing.

Good luck and have fun!
  • Bitter_Apple21
    @Ringing_Nirnroot

The points @El_Borracho made are bang on. Started a DK Tank (I picked Nord) last Nov I think, and had spent my time before that mostly on DPS. And all PUGs runs.

Yes,

1) run dungeons that you have run as a DPS, it definitely helps in the practicing of tanking skills without having to actually learn the dungeon itself
    2) button pushing is also bang on. I think I am only starting to learn NOT to taunt every 3-4 seconds, and to watch my various timers for debuffs, ultimate regen, etc.
    3) base dungeons, although perhaps good for practicing techniques, will definitely give you a very false sense of invincibility.

I started selfish just to feel "safe" - not knowing what to expect. I am running Ebon/Warrier Poet, but are looking to try Ebon/Crimson or WPoet/Crimson to see how the drop in "selfishness" feels, while helping the teams

Good luck.
  • Ringing_Nirnroot
    Ringing_Nirnroot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you guys😊 which monster helm should I use? Also should it both be heavy?
  • Bitter_Apple21
    @Ringing_Nirnroot

Almost the same idea.

My other toons had collected some sets, so I am "currently" running Chudan (selfish). I think mine is Light and Heavy, but that is just what I had collected.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you guys😊 which monster helm should I use? Also should it both be heavy?

I do medium helm and light shoulder to get the Undaunted passive. You can do light helm and medium shoulder if that's all you have