The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A better way to show a character's age.

Leftover_Pizza
Leftover_Pizza
✭✭✭
While it's a nice feature to be able to age our characters, it's only visible in their faces and hair color. Yet, they still share the same poses, fierce as a youngster. Their backs straight like an arrow, chest forward, firm muscles and moves like a cheetah.

From experience, if you wake up without any pains or other bodily inconveniences when you're over 50, you're probably dead. Our eso characters don't seem to bother one bit with any of those while aged.

Wouldn't it be better if the default poses change according to age? Like a bit of a hunch on older characters, make them lean on their staff like it's a walking stick, instead of sheathing them on their backs while idle or something? It's not like the game can't provide different poses/postures, so why not use them for age differences? It would make an old and seasoned character look more realistic. Especially from an RP point of view.

I know ZOS will never do anything with this idea, but that doesn't stop me from wanting it.
Edited by Leftover_Pizza on February 16, 2022 1:33PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like good idea for a personality.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha, the Prophet personality. ;)
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Mushroomancer
    Mushroomancer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would be interesting to see as a personality, but I doubt they'll change the in-combat animations, considering none of the currently available personalities change them either.
    PC | EU 1600+ CP

Chews-On-Shrooms - Argonian (EP) | Healer Warden
    I know I have a problem, leave me alone:

Nirya Urayel - Altmer (EP) | Healer/Magicka Templar
    Ulen Favel - Dunmer (EP) | Magicka Nightblade
    Anise Favel - Dunmer (EP) | Magicka Dragonknight
    Vivienne Rielle - Breton (EP) | Hybrid Healer/Magicka Necromancer
    Gaspar Rielle - Breton (DC) | Magicka Sorcerer
    Ulfgar the Foul - Nord (EP) | Tank Necromancer
    Plays-With-Chains - Argonian (EP) | Tank Dragonknight
    Sonje the Wild - Nord (EP) | Tank Warden
    Brutus Lovidicus - Imperial (EP) | Tank Nightblade
    Velms Ienith - Dunmer (EP) | Tank Sorcerer
    Cassius Lanius - Imperial (EP) | Tank/Stamina Templar
    Shakar-gro-Khazgur - Orc (DC) | Stamina Dragonknight
    Liette Nightwind - Bosmer (AD) | Stamina Nightblade
    Ja'khar the Salty - Khajiit (EP) | Stamina Necromancer
    Saadia al-Tava - Redguard (EP) | Stamina Sorcerer
    Gwinas Hemp-Burner - Bosmer (EP) | Stamina Warden
    Grand Master Crafter, All Dungeon HM up to Stonethorn, vCrag HM, vDSA, vMA, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vHOF HM, vAS+2, Gryphon Heart, vBRP, vSS HM (Extinguisher of Flames),
    vKA HM (Shield of the North), vRG 1/3HM
  • Leftover_Pizza
    Leftover_Pizza
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't have to be a personality, but just default tied to age chosen in the game.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't have to be a personality, but just default tied to age chosen in the game.

I'd rather have it be a personality. Failing that, I'd rather have it be an option, not default.

The problem with making it default and not an option is that ZOS has learned not to force cosmetic changes on players. That's one of the reasons they are reluctant to update old armors. They learned from teh debacle with the old female Orc and Redguard armor that players get pretty attached to how their characters look, and they shouldn't force those changes without good reason.

If players feel that way about their gear appearance, how do you think they'll feel about you making these elderly animations the default for characters they made appear elderly?

I'll admit I'm probably not the most normal of players in this regard, but when I first made my characters, it was on an old computer with bad graphics. So I chose some of the older sliders because that's what looked good on their face with my bad graphics. A couple years later I got a better computer and saw my characters on better settings for the first time and...well, my AD hero went from an inexperienced battlemage in training to a very experienced and battlescarred older battlemage in one fell swoop.

I wouldn't enjoy having your suggested animations forced on my older characters as the default. I would like an option for it.
  • Leftover_Pizza
    Leftover_Pizza
    ✭✭✭

I'd rather have it be a personality. Failing that, I'd rather have it be an option, not default.

The problem with making it default and not an option is that ZOS has learned not to force cosmetic changes on players. That's one of the reasons they are reluctant to update old armors. They learned from teh debacle with the old female Orc and Redguard armor that players get pretty attached to how their characters look, and they shouldn't force those changes without good reason.

If players feel that way about their gear appearance, how do you think they'll feel about you making these elderly animations the default for characters they made appear elderly?

I'll admit I'm probably not the most normal of players in this regard, but when I first made my characters, it was on an old computer with bad graphics. So I chose some of the older sliders because that's what looked good on their face with my bad graphics. A couple years later I got a better computer and saw my characters on better settings for the first time and...well, my AD hero went from an inexperienced battlemage in training to a very experienced and battlescarred older battlemage in one fell swoop.

I wouldn't enjoy having your suggested animations forced on my older characters as the default. I would like an option for it.

Sure, optional is good. Could be done in the character creation thing as well the same way as we can change body type and heights, like adding a slider to make them hunch.

I absolutely get that players get attached to how their character looks, which is exactly the reason why this idea popped up in my mind. Age does things to you, other than just some wrinkles and grey hair. I'd love to see that on my characters, but I'm probably wishing for the impossible.