The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Long load to character screen with unusual workaround (PC)

Iselin
Iselin
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Just back to the game after a long absence.

I have an issue after login where the game takes an unusually long time to get to the character selection screen but if I just alt-tab (I run the game in borderless window mode) to the desktop it immediately gives me the character select screen.

It's not a huge deal because of this "workaround" I've found but I don't remember it taking so long before.

If it makes a difference this is my first time playing the game since I upgraded to Windows 11.

Any permanent fixes for this so I don't have to keep alt-tabbing every time after login?
Edited by ZOS_Bill on February 10, 2022 5:47PM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Iselin

Re-installing your add-ons may help resolve your loading issue.

To completely remove add-ons from The Elder Scrolls Online:

PC:
    1. Go to the "Elder Scrolls Online" folder in My Documents.
    2. Open the "live" folder (NA megaserver) or "liveeu" (EU megaserver).
    3. Remove all files from the "AddOns" folder.
    4. Remove all files from the "SavedVariables" folder.
    5. Remove AddOnSettings.txt from the "live" folder.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE

Thanks for he suggestion but that was happening with no add-ons whatsoever on a clean install.

I do have some add-ons installed now and that is neither better nor worse than before.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Iselin

Thanks for the update. Since the loading issue is not add-on related, we recommend starting a ticket with customer support.
    Staff Post
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just an update to say the issue is resolved in case anyone searches for the same problem and sees this thread.

After a week of help from tech support and several tweaks to try to fix it, it finally is.

It turned out my problem (and weird workaround) were only a problem om borderless window mode. The problem did not happen at all in full screen mode - I got the character select screen after log-in in about 5 seconds.

What finally fixed it was a clean install of an nvidia driver, the current one, but I don't think the new driver had anythiing to do with fixing it. It was using the clean install option that resets all nvidia panel settings to default.

I honestly don't remember making any unusual settings on that panel but who knows, I might have a long time ago and forgotten about it and driver updates without doing the clean install just keep whatever settings were there.

Worth a shot if you landed on this page because you're experiencing similar problems.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Thanks for updating the thread to let us know a clean install of an nvidia driver resolved the loading issues. Since this issue is now resolved, we will be closing the discussion going forward.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.