Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How sustainable are Crafting Writs?

Tornaad
Tornaad
✭✭✭✭✭
I see a lot of streamers talking about how great of a money-making opportunity crafting writs are and was just watching a video by Brah We Got This, where he recommended taking all of your characters through daily crafting writs and that got me thinking. How sustainable is that? Assuming all of the characters are getting mats sent by mail, how long could you continue that without having to spend hours going and collecting mats from the zone? If you started from nothing (ie no built-up mats in your bank) how long could you continue to do crafting writs before having to start spending hours collecting? And for that matter, how long per week would you expect to spend collecting ore and such per week if you were doing writs on each character every day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pYcftMMYYY

Best Answers

• redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can self sustain on writs fairly well, but there are a few specific mats you'll find yourself running out of over time, especially if you're doing 18 toons a day at max tier. Ancestor Silk, Rubedite Ingot, Sanded Ruby Ash and Platinum Ounce will be a net loss daily though if you keep up with your surveys, you can go for quite some time. I typically purchase Platinum Ounce in bulk a few times a year to keep it topped off. I try to keep 50000 or more on me at all times.

For other crafts, enchanting will require you to keep stock on Deni, Makko and especially Oko. You will find these drain faster than you can recover them naturally. The more writs you do, the harder it is to keep up through standard harvesting and surveys. I tend to buy all 3 in bulk when I find decent prices. It saves time overall.

Alchemy is a whole other monster. Many top tier combinations barely break even on rewards or might even be done at a loss depending on mat prices and platform. Mudcrab Chitin may be a limiting factor if you're doing bulk amounts of top tier writs as this won't replenish itself through surveys. You can go farm them from time to time or buy them or even just abandon that particular writ if it's going to be too much trouble to do them reliably. Don't be tempted to do lower than max tier Alchemy writs in bulk. You could find yourself drained of Cornflower without even realizing how much you were using daily.

Provisioning easily replaces itself as you go and it completely self sufficient over time.
    Answer ✓
  • NerfSeige
    NerfSeige
    ✭✭✭✭
    So far, the only non-sustainable things that I top off are

1. Molybdenum - cause I don’t want to change the style so I can do the writ faster (console)
    2. Repora/oko/deni/makko - maybe 1 - 2 times refill/year for writs + of course testing enchants on pvp
    3. Alchemy is self sustaining at level 3 and max level, level 1 is crap cause of cornflower and I dunno about the other levels. (Level 3 for characters with less skill points)

Other than that everything is refilled with hirelings, drops, etc. also surveys on free eso+
    Edited by NerfSeige on February 7, 2022 4:40PM
    Avid reader of wes’-pts-diary[RIP]

NerfAS and Shill ruins everything

Skinny-meta-fake, graded D, and can’t explain the law of diminishing marginal returns.

I won’t post that Wes, I’ll get [snipped] for the last time

Revert this patch - Audens, 2022
    Answer ✓
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can self sustain on writs fairly well, but there are a few specific mats you'll find yourself running out of over time, especially if you're doing 18 toons a day at max tier. Ancestor Silk, Rubedite Ingot, Sanded Ruby Ash and Platinum Ounce will be a net loss daily though if you keep up with your surveys, you can go for quite some time. I typically purchase Platinum Ounce in bulk a few times a year to keep it topped off. I try to keep 50000 or more on me at all times.

For other crafts, enchanting will require you to keep stock on Deni, Makko and especially Oko. You will find these drain faster than you can recover them naturally. The more writs you do, the harder it is to keep up through standard harvesting and surveys. I tend to buy all 3 in bulk when I find decent prices. It saves time overall.

Alchemy is a whole other monster. Many top tier combinations barely break even on rewards or might even be done at a loss depending on mat prices and platform. Mudcrab Chitin may be a limiting factor if you're doing bulk amounts of top tier writs as this won't replenish itself through surveys. You can go farm them from time to time or buy them or even just abandon that particular writ if it's going to be too much trouble to do them reliably. Don't be tempted to do lower than max tier Alchemy writs in bulk. You could find yourself drained of Cornflower without even realizing how much you were using daily.

Provisioning easily replaces itself as you go and it completely self sufficient over time.

Thank you. I had been wondering about that for a while.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, alchemy level 3 seems to be a good level without the requirement for cornflower or mudcrab chitin.

I regularly buy basic style materials and Jora potency runes (only a few characters leveled on enchantment) but the base materials have never been an issue for me. I decon everything blue or better with max passives and harvest nodes I come across in addition to surveys. Then too, I rarely do crafting writs on all my characters but rather five or so per day outside of double reward and anniversary events.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much indefinitely and with PC addons it's basically money printing machine.

Even if you need some materials it's cheap to grab most of them off guild stores or you stack hundreds of surveys in your bank until you need something.
    Too many toons not enough time