The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crafting materials and leveling

Simpso1984
Simpso1984
Soul Shriven
Im currently level 48 and have just reached level 6 in woodworking and metalworks.
As writs only seem to focus on the level of material, is there any point in continuing to pick up materials of a lower level anymore?
Or will they come in useful later for master writs?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Writs will always use the level of crafting material that corresponds with your skill points in that crafting discipline.

The only point to picking up lower level mats is if you want to craft gear for lower-level characters. In which case, you can also just buy the mats from guild stores too, so don't feel like you have to collect stuff now.

It's not a complete waste to pick them up since you can refine lower tier mats for the same chance at improvement mats. You can also sell the mats to other players, but the CP 160 mats will be worth the most once you get there.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    based on what ive seen cost wise, a rubedite ingot isnt valued at much more than a iron ingot

while ruby mats are more valuable for crafting (because thats what you need for your cp160 gear), there is also a massive supply of ruby mats (characters at cp160+ and have invested points in crafting get nothing but ruby mats)

iron on the other hand, is useful for making starter gear or junk items for research/burning transmutes, but because a lot of higher level people dont get these mats, the supply is also significantly lower (you also dont need as much for crafting the gear)

but it balances out that in some cases like the ingots, iron and rubedite are almost the same value when trying to sell them

the costs vary a bit more for the other types of mats (mainly the silk and leather types)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simpso1984 wrote: »
    Im currently level 48 and have just reached level 6 in woodworking and metalworks.
    As writs only seem to focus on the level of material, is there any point in continuing to pick up materials of a lower level anymore?
    Or will they come in useful later for master writs?

To add. Master writs will only ever be for maximum level gear materials (CP 150 gear).
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Simpso1984
    Simpso1984
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks everyone, clears it up for me.
    For soem reason i had in my head that master writs would be totally random.
    e.g. create this iron armour with this trait and this style, to make them difficult to make.
    But as you have said above it makes sense for them all to be the same material with material being linked to item level.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For your first character its fine to keep up with the materials of your skill and level, once you get into alts and getting their crafting up its best to stay at rank 1 iron/jute/maple and level them via deconstructing and daily crafting writs until 50. After that decide whether or not to upgrade them to 10 or whatever desired rank you want. I keep all my alts at rank 1 as iron/jute/maple are the cheapest for daily crafting writs and the Surveys can be done with any character, so I pass that to my main who is rank 10. Farming with those alts is 50/50 rank 1 and rank 10 mats at max level.
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I leveled my alts in crafting, I kept one at each lvl so I could go farm lower level mats if I needed to. I kept it this way for a year until I realized that is was more beneficial to level them all up and get master writs from all of them. You do get random mats when turning in the dailies, but much more efficient to just buy them if needed. Also, with the armory system, you could always save one maxed out, respec then save one with no skill points assigned. Then you could just add to what you wanted for that time and go back to one of the saved versions as needed.
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP