The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

NERF PLAGUEBREAK.

Danse_Mayhem
Danse_Mayhem
✭✭✭✭
This is legit the most busted and stupid set that’s ever been a thing. Sure dark convergence was, and is still a huge problem… And sure many will still hold onto this idea of it being a solution against larger crowds but let me explain why it is absolutely -the- problem with pvp right now;

- Vicious death ; Procs on a kill, only on players, set amount of damage.
- Plaguebreak ; Procs on a kill, Procs on cleanse, Procs on NPCs, deals crazy high scales damage, deals dot damage to unlimited targets, no cool-down.

Can we not see the issue here that it’s so ridiculously OP compared to the other similar set (VD) since it outperforms it in almost every way?

“It gives smaller groups a chance”
Sometimes yes, same as dark convergence.
But just like DC, it’s devastating in the hands of a Zerg or ball group. You’ll even see ball groups on the forums admitting it’s busted and makes their lives easier in pvp because there is zero counter to it.

Now consider this… Some ‘big brain’ players are starting to catch on that you don’t need damage anymore in pvp, only plaguebreak. We frequently see groups of plaguebreak/DC tanks running around. 64 into health, all health glyphs, healthy jewellery - Why bother with damage when you can just stack health, then dot everyone up with PB and keep pulling groups in until someone accidentally cleanses and it nukes a whole group.

Speaking of cleansing. This set has made it almost unviable to even think of using a cleanse in pvp, anywhere. Wardens have to unslot netch since it cleanses automatically, which is a core class ability, and healers can no longer cleanse siege damage or other dots because if they do, instant group wipe.

“Oh it’s only a problem for zergs”
Wrong. You wanna solo defend a keep and use LoS + guards against a larger group? Good luck because all of those guards are now a 50k bomb, per guard. So you can’t stand anywhere near them since the DC will pull you to them and it’s goodnight.

Sure the base idea here is to combat a larger crowd, but we are now at a point where unless someone is coming to pvp on a mega survivable build, they are a welling bomb. “Hey want help on your emp push? I’m new to pvp but I’ll come help” - The answer is going to be no, because PB means they will do more harm than good. Putting people off even coming to pvp is NOT a good thing, and NOT the way to give the underdog a chance because it applies to literally everyone who isn’t build like a tank.

I had a group of 8 earlier. 4 of us experienced, 4 just came in to help push and Learn pvp.
We lost a keep to 4 enemy tanks with 50k hp. No damage at all on any of them, just guarding each other, alternating plaguebreak and dark convergence. They eventually got through to flags, where they failed their combo many times but eventually got juuuust enough damage to kill a guard, and bam - 60k proc on our group.

Is that what PVP is now? Is that a good set for pvp?
Yeah I’m raging because I’m a day 1 player who’s generally decent at pvp and getting *** on by this busted set every time I play in a group, no matter how small.

My solution ; Remove the scaling. It doesn’t need to scale. A 2-3k proc on anyone nearby is still a decent whack if multiple people purge it at once, and would still hit a group of 5 for 10k - That’s pretty in line with proc sets I think? The fact it can nail you for 60k and upwards is just mental.
Or, remove its ability to affect guards.
Or, make it only proc on a cleanse and not also a kill.

This needs something. On PS4 NA it’s becoming a tank fest with Plaguebreak because DPS is just a pointless liability now. If it hasn’t already happened on other servers, it will soon.

Please let me know your thoughts. I love pvp and I want it to be good again
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DAMN THIS COMMENT IS FANCY!

YouTube.com/DarkProjectMayhem
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with everything you're saying.

And the arguments are:

Spread out
    Cleanse carefully

Which, when I'm playing in a small group, and we're in a tower or something, it's fine for the most part. We move away from each other if we need to cleanse.

But, when you're in a keep, either flipping or defending flags, there's no counterplay.

Especially when combined with DC.

All it takes is for a guard to die, or one squishy random to either die or use a brainless cleanse and you take 40k+ damage.

It's so dumb.

As an absolute start, it shouldn't proc on NPC's, like VD doesn't.

Honestly, I think it shouldn't proc on deaths at all. We have VD for that. This should just be an anti cleanse set.

It'd still be rip for wardens though and their auto cleanse, but don't know what you do with that.

Ity also VERY easy to place it on someone. Just do anything basically.

I'm all for things to wipe zergs and ball groups who don't play with much thought.

But this set is crazy.

And, with all "zerg busting" tools, it's just as good for the bigger group to run against the smaller group.
    Edited by Brrrofski on February 1, 2022 10:12AM
    Options
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Plaguebreak kills entire teams on Istirus Outpost Arena because it's impossible to spread out and avoid the proc on death.

wTiQLdd.png

Edited by SkaraMinoc on February 1, 2022 10:19AM
    PC NA
    Options
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not saying I disagree. Just they're not going to nerf this. Having to nerf one set from the last DLC is well, par for the course (even if it was after 2 weeks). Having to nerf two, well that's starting to look a little bit embarassing isn't it. Having to nerf all 3? That's starting to look suspisciously like incompetance.... Look on the bright side. We've got a new patch coming up. They'll release something even more broken and all the try hards will start to run that.
    Options
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I don't die from Plaguebreak as much as I did when it first came out. I've tried using PB/VD on my Stamblade too and really, I don't get a ton of these huge bomb wipes that I've seen on YouTube, Reddit and even here. I feel like most experienced Cyrodiil players know by now to not purge or cleanse to not trigger PB. It's still a pretty OP set but it just doesn't seem to be a huge problem lately. Dark Convergence on the other hand....
    Options
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You forgot to mention the trolls who follow you around purging & casting purge synergies on purpose, while their buddies cast PB on you. We have had it happen numerous times now and unlike similar older methods of doing something like this, now the troll doesn't even die to messing with you, they can keep running around purging everyone in sight and stay out of range of the explosions.

This set has not only removed purging from gameplay, it has also removed most synergy use, which was a prime (none cheese) way of dealing with large groups previously.
    Edited by Kwoung on February 1, 2022 3:06PM
    Options
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's so broken it's stupid. I run a ball group that uses this. It was supposed to stop us from purging but as it turns out we don't need to cleanse and can just heal through it.

Now we can just run it on a couple builds and get mini-VD procs when anyone near us dies.

It's made several class skills useless

It's made Curse eater useless.

Horrible idea from the start.
    Kwoung wrote: »
    You forgot to mention the trolls who follow you around purging & casting purge synergies on purpose, while their buddies cast PB on you. We have had it happen numerous times now and unlike similar older methods of doing something like this, now the troll doesn't even die to messing with you, they can keep running around purging everyone in sight and stay out of range of the explosions.

This set has not only removed purging from gameplay, it has also removed most synergy use, which was a prime (none cheese) way of dealing with large groups previously.

How does it affect synergy use?
    Options
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How to improve Plaguebreak.
    Changes in bold, removed effects indicated by []

Option 1:
    Dealing direct damage to a non-player enemy, who is not a Plague Carrier, turns them into a Plague Carrier for 10 seconds, dealing X Disease Damage over the duration. If the carrier dies the plague explodes, infecting enemies within 8 meters of the carrier and dealing Y Disease Damage. The explosion deals an additional 50% damage per enemy hit. This effect can occur once per attack and scales off the higher of your Weapon or Spell Damage.

Option 2a:
    Dealing direct damage to an enemy, who is not a Plague Carrier, turns them into a Plague Carrier for 10 seconds, dealing 0.5X Disease Damage over the duration. If the plague is removed early, it explodes, [] dealing 0.5Y Disease Damage. [] This effect can occur once per attack every 10 seconds and scales off the higher of your Weapon or Spell Damage.

Option 2b:
    Dealing direct damage to an enemy, who is not a Plague Carrier, turns them into a Plague Carrier for 10 seconds, dealing 0.5X Disease Damage over the duration. If the plague is removed early, it explodes, [] dealing 0.5Y Disease Damage. [] This effect can occur once per attack every 10 seconds and scales off the lower of your Weapon or Spell Damage.

Option 3:
    Dealing direct damage to an enemy, who is not a Plague Carrier, throws a Plague Ball at them covering them in a sickly green substance. It looks like a green mudball effect. Nothing else happens.
    Edited by ealdwin on February 1, 2022 8:04PM
    Options
  • milllaurie
    milllaurie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Today I was fighting a lot of smallscale v zerg fights (mostly 3vx) every one of them had put plaguebreak on me. Every single time I purged it without hesitation. Yes, sometimes near other people. It hit me not more than a single lethal arrow, 100s of which were flying in my direction.
    There were times where I wish we had plaguebreak in our trio to start a chain reaction, but we did good nontheless.
    Moral of the story: plaguebreak is not op.
    It is a powerful tool, yes. Would I switch any of my sets to it? Probably not. And yes, I've ran it before.
    Options
  • Danse_Mayhem
    Danse_Mayhem
    ✭✭✭✭
    milllaurie wrote: »
    Today I was fighting a lot of smallscale v zerg fights (mostly 3vx) every one of them had put plaguebreak on me. Every single time I purged it without hesitation. Yes, sometimes near other people. It hit me not more than a single lethal arrow, 100s of which were flying in my direction.
    There were times where I wish we had plaguebreak in our trio to start a chain reaction, but we did good nontheless.
    It is a powerful tool, yes. Would I switch any of my sets to it? Probably not. And yes, I've ran it before.

I’m sorry but your one example of running as a 3 and not having plaguebreak issues doesn’t mean it isn’t OP.

If you read my explanation in the opening posts, and the other examples posted by other commenters, you’ll see that the concern isn’t for a Zerg all targeting one person, it’s for the stupid mechanics of it exploding guards + the crazy scaling + how much better it is in every way than it’s VD counterpart.

Please don’t try and balance this argument with one example. This set is a real issue and the goal is for ZOS to see these concerns and act.

Options
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ealdwin wrote: »
    How to improve Plaguebreak.
    Changes in bold, removed effects indicated by []

Option 1:
    Dealing direct damage to a non-player enemy, who is not a Plague Carrier, turns them into a Plague Carrier for 10 seconds, dealing X Disease Damage over the duration. If the carrier dies the plague explodes, infecting enemies within 8 meters of the carrier and dealing Y Disease Damage. The explosion deals an additional 50% damage per enemy hit. This effect can occur once per attack and scales off the higher of your Weapon or Spell Damage.

Option 2a:
    Dealing direct damage to an enemy, who is not a Plague Carrier, turns them into a Plague Carrier for 10 seconds, dealing 0.5X Disease Damage over the duration. If the plague is removed early, it explodes, [] dealing 0.5Y Disease Damage. [] This effect can occur once per attack every 10 seconds and scales off the higher of your Weapon or Spell Damage.

Option 2b:
    Dealing direct damage to an enemy, who is not a Plague Carrier, turns them into a Plague Carrier for 10 seconds, dealing 0.5X Disease Damage over the duration. If the plague is removed early, it explodes, [] dealing 0.5Y Disease Damage. [] This effect can occur once per attack every 10 seconds and scales off the lower of your Weapon or Spell Damage.

Option 3:
    Dealing direct damage to an enemy, who is not a Plague Carrier, throws a Plague Ball at them covering them in a sickly green substance. It looks like a green mudball effect. Nothing else happens.

There is a more elegant fix (as it would only impact the original intended targets, ie ballgroups). The set remains exactly the same except the 8m explosion DMG only hits players who are grouped with the target player.
    Options
  • milllaurie
    milllaurie
    ✭✭✭✭

I’m sorry but your one example of running as a 3 and not having plaguebreak issues doesn’t mean it isn’t OP.

If you read my explanation in the opening posts, and the other examples posted by other commenters, you’ll see that the concern isn’t for a Zerg all targeting one person, it’s for the stupid mechanics of it exploding guards + the crazy scaling + how much better it is in every way than it’s VD counterpart.

Please don’t try and balance this argument with one example. This set is a real issue and the goal is for ZOS to see these concerns and act.

Just don't zerg, is that too hard?
    Zerging has to be punished.
    I agree that is a very potent set, no doubt, I have made the same point in my guild discord.
    It takes minimal skill to block dark convergence or to move away from stuff if you see a plaguebreak active. Really.
    Options
  • Danse_Mayhem
    Danse_Mayhem
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree that is a very potent set, no doubt, I have made the same point in my guild discord.
    It takes minimal skill to block dark convergence or to move away from stuff if you see a plaguebreak active. Really.

Sorry but that’s just ridiculous. No one is talking about zerging. A group of 8 is not a Zerg or even a ball group, yet we can get nuked by 60k procs by either being stood together or stood too close to guards.
    The set is overloaded in what it does compared to many other sets that only do part of what plaguebreak does, and is being used on tanks with no damage, zergs and ball groups to decimate smaller groups. Even a ball group guy further up admitted this ^^

“Don’t Zerg” isn’t a counter argument at all to a totally broken set which has scaling to rival a trial boss damage. Yes blocking DC is easy and most are used to that now, but how long is the list of counters? Don’t Zerg, don’t ever hard stack, don’t purge, don’t cleanse, don’t stand near guards, don’t die ever, don’t allow low hp friends to your group, don’t pvp in hot spots near other friendly faction players, don’t purge siege damage… The list goes on. Sure those are technically counters but to discourage all of that for just one busted set - That’s helping the Zergs and ball groups more than it’s countering them? Just no. Something big needs to change.

Options
  • Dorkener
    Dorkener
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly thought at first that it proccing on death was a bug/oversight. The condition says "when it's removed"... :/ At the very least it should procc on cleanse only. Vicious Syvarra is not OK :(
    Options
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Extended Ritual - Purify Synergy is a purge and the main synergy I see anymore. It seems to override most others from what I can tell and is always the one available, even if 20 orbs are floating by or I am standing on top of multiple Conduits. Hit X to explode is pretty much the only choice I get.

Edited by Kwoung on February 2, 2022 2:03AM
    Options
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Extended Ritual - Purify Synergy is a purge and the main synergy I see anymore. It seems to override most others from what I can tell and is always the one available, even if 20 orbs are floating by or I am standing on top of multiple Conduits. Hit X to explode is pretty much the only choice I get.

If you're on PC, RDK synergy prevention : )

Otherwise, yeah that sucks. Wow yeah the group meta on PS and Xbox must be completely different tho.
    Options
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Otherwise, yeah that sucks. Wow yeah the group meta on PS and Xbox must be completely different tho.

For some bizarre reason, it is the only synergy RDK can't block for me. :(
    Options
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For some bizarre reason, it is the only synergy RDK can't block for me. :(

lol, you know, now that you mentioned it I'm pretty sure at one point was the only synergy turned on for me. Then again I hadn't touched synergy prevention in months
    Options
  • Veg
    Veg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5b4q3K7.png

Lets be real here. Any proc set that can do 20k+ damage to each target in its AoE should not exist. I'm amazed they didn't just delete the set for the next update. Would probably do more good to just delete it than make changes to it.
    ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
    Options
  • Danse_Mayhem
    Danse_Mayhem
    ✭✭✭✭
    Veg wrote: »
    5b4q3K7.png

Lets be real here. Any proc set that can do 20k+ damage to each target in its AoE should not exist. I'm amazed they didn't just delete the set for the next update. Would probably do more good to just delete it than make changes to it.

Exactly this. And the problem is that some people defend this ridiculous scaling by saying it counters zerging and large groups, when in fact it can drop these death sheets on anyone in a group of 4-5, or stood near guards.
    Literally nothing in pvp should ever hit this hard

Options
  • milllaurie
    milllaurie
    ✭✭✭✭
    5b4q3K7.png

Let's face it - you brought this to yourself. You were either stacked with people or and npcs - you should not do that if an enemy is running plaguebreak.

“Don’t Zerg” isn’t a counter argument at all to a totally broken set which has scaling to rival a trial boss damage. Yes blocking DC is easy and most are used to that now, but how long is the list of counters? Don’t Zerg, don’t ever hard stack, don’t purge, don’t cleanse, don’t stand near guards, don’t die ever, don’t allow low hp friends to your group, don’t pvp in hot spots near other friendly faction players, don’t purge siege damage… The list goes on. Sure those are technically counters but to discourage all of that for just one busted set - That’s helping the Zergs and ball groups more than it’s countering them? Just no. Something big needs to change.

The damage is not that big. Kept purging plaguebreak yesterday maybe 100 times. Never hit more than 4-5k. If you die by 40k plaguebreak it's on you. It has 8m radius, please move 2 steps away, then purge.
    And yes, don't allow low hp people in your group or tell them to run a different food. If you don't help newbies, what good are you?
    The only time I got hit by a huge plaguebreak was when the set got released, never since.
    I see the set as an ultimate zerg buster, it is exacly that. You can only blame yourself for dying to that.
    Options
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    5b4q3K7.png

Let's face it - you brought this to yourself. You were either stacked with people or and npcs - you should not do that if an enemy is running plaguebreak.

The damage is not that big. Kept purging plaguebreak yesterday maybe 100 times. Never hit more than 4-5k. If you die by 40k plaguebreak it's on you. It has 8m radius, please move 2 steps away, then purge.
    And yes, don't allow low hp people in your group or tell them to run a different food. If you don't help newbies, what good are you?
    The only time I got hit by a huge plaguebreak was when the set got released, never since.
    I see the set as an ultimate zerg buster, it is exacly that. You can only blame yourself for dying to that.

Which is all well and good if we didn't have things called flags in keeps which you need to flip to take a keep

How do you not get close to people when attacking or defending flags at a keep?

I'd love some big brain insight into that.

Maybe I should tell the guards to spread out more.
    Edited by Brrrofski on February 2, 2022 7:38AM
    Options
  • milllaurie
    milllaurie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    5b4q3K7.png

Which is all well and good if we didn't have things called flags in keeps which you need to flip to take a keep

No big brain needed, I sharpened my crayons and came up with a masterplan.
    IMG-20220202-095729.jpg
    In all seriousness, just use plaguebreak against them, try not to die to it by not stacking. It is really THAT simple. You can see plaguebreak effect if it is active on someone.
    Options
  • Danse_Mayhem
    Danse_Mayhem
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah sorry I just think you’re missing the point of what this set really does. If you can ignore a whole list of mechanics that this set breaks, and a whole ridiculous list of things you can’t do anymore just because it didn’t affect you once when solo then I think we will just have to agree to disagree.

Keeping this post active in the hope that someone from ZOS sees these posts about the set and does something about it.

Options
  • Silversmith
    Silversmith
    ✭✭✭
    It gets worse when the guy using Plaguebreak has a Magblade friend on the opposite faction that only breaks stealth to cleanse the group and explode them.
    Options
  • Jpk0012
    Jpk0012
    ✭✭✭✭
    What's next? Massive bombs on heals? Massive bombs when someone deals damage? Its idiotic, so its to be expected from this group, at this point.
    Edited by Jpk0012 on February 2, 2022 12:49PM
    Options
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    5b4q3K7.png

No big brain needed, I sharpened my crayons and came up with a masterplan.
    IMG-20220202-095729.jpg
    In all seriousness, just use plaguebreak against them, try not to die to it by not stacking. It is really THAT simple. You can see plaguebreak effect if it is active on someone.

I do use plaguebreak, and I still think it's dumb.

The counter to something broken shouldn't just be to use it yourself lol.
    Options
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Plaguebreak kills entire teams on Istirus Outpost Arena because it's impossible to spread out and avoid the proc on death.

wTiQLdd.png

Idk Plaguebreak was never an issue for me in BGs, and yes I cleanse it. Maybe more of an issue in group BG when 2 teams are stacked and fight each other in close-quarters.
    Options
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5b4q3K7.png

I'm just saying vicious death has existed in this game for years and can do this same amount of damage when it chains on people and there was never a call to action against this.
    Is plaguebreak significantly better than VD? Sure, it might even be overtuned since it procs off NPCs and I wouldn't be mad if that was changed. But to say it should be deleted from the game even though it's functionally supposed to be the same as VD is kind of silly
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
    Options
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xDeusEJRx wrote: »
    5b4q3K7.png

I'm just saying vicious death has existed in this game for years and can do this same amount of damage when it chains on people and there was never a call to action against this.
    Is plaguebreak significantly better than VD? Sure, it might even be overtuned since it procs off NPCs and I wouldn't be mad if that was changed. But to say it should be deleted from the game even though it's functionally supposed to be the same as VD is kind of silly

The difference between VD and PB tho is that PB procs when anyone dies for any reason if they're infected. With VD at least you have to be the one to get the killing blows. So it's much easier to get procs because you don't have to worry about who does the killing. It's range and damage scaling is also larger than VD's. If they limited to the proc going off when the dot was purged I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it.
    Edited by neferpitou73 on February 2, 2022 4:51PM
    Options
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xDeusEJRx wrote: »
    5b4q3K7.png

The difference between VD and PB tho is that PB procs when anyone dies for any reason if they're infected. With VD at least you have to be the one to get the killing blows. So it's much easier to get procs because you don't have to worry about who does the killing. It's range and damage scaling is also larger than VD's. If they limited to the proc going off when the dot was purged I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it.

That would make it kind of useless though, unless they significantly increased the damage of purge. Not everyone in open world runs a purge to even make it proc often enough to make it viable, would make it kind of useless, and way worse than VD. Because the condition of damage on purge only is way more situational than "kill an enemy player"
    IMO I think it should be at least equivalent to VD because the intention of the sets are the exact same as VD, to target large groups as stated by zos themselves.
    While I admit they did make it as an anti-purge set, that's still not really worth running if it's functionally only meant to target purging zergs since most zergs aren't purging every 2 seconds, usually like once every 8-10 seconds
    18b4fbb0d76ef6b39a6301ff9cdd0686.png
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
    Options