Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

If you are at it, please reconsider health stat to scale with dmg skills for tank builds.

Honghua
Honghua
✭✭✭
So we could make tanking in this game more enjoyable and viable like in other mmorpgs games.

In FFXIV and WoW tank classes could still deal dmg despite being a tanks. If you are thinking about making huge changes to the scaling stuff, please consider including HP or resistances scaling into tanking skills so they could deal some dmg.
Im not saying health/resistance builds should deal same dmg as dps builds, but being able to do at least 50% would be delightful.

Also please consider giving tanks AOE taunts for PVE, and make taunts a lot stronger so we are not forced to use taunts all the time.
Taunts should generate 10x as much threat as normal skills, so tanks could use damage/heal/shield skill in between more often.

Thank You.
  • Honghua
    Honghua
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know how to edit posts sorry.

I would like to add that we are in a desperate need of more players playing tanks in the game than ever before. By making tanking more appealing to play we could make a lot of people play them, reducing queues for PVE by significant number.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Firstly, that'd be horrendous in PvP.

Secondly, it'd be a major change to how tanking is in ESO. I don't see anything wrong with how it is now.

You can make a damage tank currently for a lot of content.

My saptank can do all vet dungeons (even dlc hardmodes) with no healer, and still pulls 20-30k DPS.
  • Elo106
    Elo106
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honghua wrote: »
    Taunts should generate 10x as much threat as normal skills, so tanks could use damage/heal/shield skill in between more often.

Thats not how taunts work in ESO, you taunt something and it will attack you, no matter how much damage is done by others/you. If you spam taunt you "over taunt" and it will attack someone else.

The only thing that would screw up your taunt is you over taunting or another player using a taunt.

So yes tanks have a lot of time for damage/heal/shield and most importantly buffs while taunting.

• AdamLAD
    AdamLAD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why on earth should tanks do damage. Not only is this completely void of common sense for PvE DPS, practically rendering them useless. This mind boggling request just simply cannot work in terms of balance for PvP. Every offensive stat would be regressed into nothingness. Why would anyone stack into offensive damage when u can just pump it all into health and do exactly the same whilst being practically unkillable. Should a necro tank with 70k health do more damage (or close to) than a 25k hp nightblade with 6k weapon damage. Absolutely not. People comparing eso to other games. Stop. This is eso. Its completely unique. Its combat and gameplay is vastly different. Therefore requesting changes simply for the fact "other games do it" renders it non sensical.
  • b101uk
    b101uk
    ✭✭✭
    Elo106 wrote: »

Thats not how taunts work in ESO, you taunt something and it will attack you, no matter how much damage is done by others/you. If you spam taunt you "over taunt" and it will attack someone else.

The only thing that would screw up your taunt is you over taunting or another player using a taunt.

So yes tanks have a lot of time for damage/heal/shield and most importantly buffs while taunting.

as far as I am aware, it is imposable for a lone tank who is the ONLY person using a taunts, to cause taunt-immunity etc, the ONLY thing that can cause taunt-immunity is if a second person taunts, in a situation there is only the tank taunting, then they are absolutely free to spam it as much as they wish, as there is no such thing as "over taunting" with respect to S&B pierce armour.

remember some boss have attacks that target a random person regardless of the fact they are taunted, the tank/taunter has no control over that, unless its a thing that can be interrupted.
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭

your first point is not correct
    the over taunt thing will only happen if (atleast) 2 player spot the same mob over and over NOT if only 1 players spams taunt
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, if my healer can still do damage while doing their job, I don't see why the tank shouldn't.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not talking 20k dps pure tank but by having at least one s&b skill scale off damage, perhaps my pure main tank could get from 4-5k to 10k which is plenty for overland/questing. One main reason my main tank gets played so little is 4-5k dps and the fact that I hate having to change/carry extra gear around. And a pure tank doing 10k is hardly going to unbalance a group. As far as PvP goes, that's what Battle Spirit adjustments are for.

PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Honghua
    Honghua
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing that would screw up your taunt is you over taunting or another player using a taunt

I mainly meant the option to being able to taunt in AOE trash mobs so rest of the team could kill it, in a case where you are forced to fight multiple enemies there is no other way than to overtaunt each mob with single target skill, and its really annoying to play a tank like that.
    I also meant the change to aggro system so a tank should also contribute to the dmg pool.
    In other mmorpgs tanks could easily hold aggro or taunt multiple enemies with 1-2 skills, so if something go wrong there is an option to fix it for a tank.

The best tanking ever made is in FFXIV, with tanks being able to mitigate stuff, taunt enemies and still do damage.

Brrrofski wrote: »
    Firstly, that'd be horrendous in PvP.
    Secondly, it'd be a major change to how tanking is in ESO. I don't see anything wrong with how it is now.
    You can make a damage tank currently for a lot of content.
    My saptank can do all vet dungeons (even dlc hardmodes) with no healer, and still pulls 20-30k DPS.

You dont see it wrong, being unable to progress as a tank in anything else outside the group content?
    In pvp tanks deal 0 damage, i fail to understand how it would make them broken if they were able to deal some damage.

On top of it
    AdamLAD wrote: »
    Why on earth should tanks do damage. Not only is this completely void of common sense for PvE DPS, practically rendering them useless. This mind boggling request just simply cannot work in terms of balance for PvP. Every offensive stat would be regressed into nothingness. Why would anyone stack into offensive damage when u can just pump it all into health and do exactly the same whilst being practically unkillable. Should a necro tank with 70k health do more damage (or close to) than a 25k hp nightblade with 6k weapon damage. Absolutely not. People comparing eso to other games. Stop. This is eso. Its completely unique. Its combat and gameplay is vastly different. Therefore requesting changes simply for the fact "other games do it" renders it non sensical.

Again, because i believe there is a misunderstanding here.
    I am not saying skills should scale of deffensive stats in addition to the damage stats, but when someone deffensive stats are higher than offensive stats and it is clear that someone is going full tank, THEN skills should scale of exclusively from those stats no other way around.
    So people going pvp with offtank build wont benefit from it even in the slightest since they still have some offensive stats that would outweight the deffensive ones. In the case where they have more deffensives, then they only get 50% benefits from dmg increase and no increase in dmg from offensive stats.

This is to make pure tanks with all deffensive stats playable.
    Same as some skills scaling from the highest stats, that would be also applied to tank stats but with half of the efficiency.

This wouldnt make tanks broken.

• Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want damage as a tank why not use the health and resistance scaling proc sets?
    PvP needs more love.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we could make tanking in this game more enjoyable and viable like in other mmorpgs games.

In FFXIV and WoW tank classes could still deal dmg despite being a tanks. If you are thinking about making huge changes to the scaling stuff, please consider including HP or resistances scaling into tanking skills so they could deal some dmg.
    Im not saying health/resistance builds should deal same dmg as dps builds, but being able to do at least 50% would be delightful.

Also please consider giving tanks AOE taunts for PVE, and make taunts a lot stronger so we are not forced to use taunts all the time.

Thank You.

You can build a tank that does decent damage, it's just that most tanks churned out by theorycrafters are designed to veteran trials and the like. With the armoury assistant you can also just flip the build around now. You can also block and use skills so you can keep taunt on several mobs whilst doing damage, or more usefully on a tank usually debuffing things.

As to AoE taunt, you've go the option - that's what the tormentor set provides. If you try that on some of the hard content you'll discover an AoE taunt is actually often not a good idea, or doesn't work with the mechanics.

Then of course there are bash builds... and PTS has strengthened those a bit more.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We can do damage now. It is building for the tank to focus more on damage than on actual tanking. Compromise your build and include some damage skills.

I have a guild I use for questing and it allows me to do more than enough damage for anything I will deal with while questing and can still tank any WB in any zone.

However, we should not expect tanks in a pure tank build to do the damage similar to what tanks can do in WoW or FF as this is not that game and tanking, heck the game is designed in a very different manner. That is why we are here.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OP I understand what you're saying but this game is different than those others. If tanks dealt meaningful damage, that would be terrible for pvp.

On top of that, due to how armor and stats work in this game, you can already build a tank that deals damage if you want to.