Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

My One and Only Hope With Hybridization

Ksariyu
Ksariyu
✭✭✭✭
With all the complaints about no new classes or skill lines, which I understand, there's also been a bit of despair around the hybridization changes, which I'm a bit confused on.

Most people I see seem to be under the impression that hybridization = homogenization. To me, the homogenization happen years ago, and the split between mag- and stam-based skills has long-since been an artificial way to inflate the number of skills/sets in the game without actually granting any real options. Right now, people see some difference between sitting behind a boss using LA>Force Shock versus sitting behind a boss using LA>Uppercut, but try as I might I cannot find the real variation. Sets too - there was no real gameplay affected by having a set that granted 129 weapon damage instead of 129 spell damage.

So to me, I see the hybrid changes as just flat-out opening the skill tree and set list to more players, which is in my view a purely positive goal. My real hope however is that this is just a necessary first step to them overhauling skills and sets in general. Without having to worry about making sure mag and stam players have all the same skills in arbitrarily different forms, they can focus on making skills with truly unique effects and conditions. It also allows them to more faithfully stick to each skill line's theme, particularly with class skill lines where before there was a need to shoehorn stam skills everywhere they didn't naturally fit.

There's no denying that combat has needed a good once-over for quite some time now, so I'm trying to view this as the devs laying the groundwork for some real updates. Whether or not this is the case remains to be seen, but especially after the latest chapter reveal, this is my one and only hope for the future of the game (Assuming the performance updates actually help of course).
  • Heartrage
    Heartrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hybridization of stats could open the door to hybrid weapon classes I.E. one hand and rune/ spellsword.