The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Are account-wide acheivements the final nail in the class change coffin?

cmetzger93
cmetzger93
✭✭✭✭✭
Now that we are getting account-wide acheivements does this mean that we will most likely never be getting a class change token? What's your opinion about which you would have preferred?
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion account wide achievements are not a good thing because it will remove lots of the progress from the game. It will devalue all the effort that people had put in the past for their different characters. Like there are people out there who has Flawless Conqueror in their all eighteen characters and other trial trifecta achievements. In the stream they have stated only a handful of achievements are going to be character specific and none of the dungeon or trial trifecta achievements were on that list.

Personally i only have one character and i am playing this game for the last four years. This change does not affect me at all but i am also not going to create any new character. I would like to have a class change token or class change implementation to Armory System with an upgrade that can be bought via crowns. I am afraid though with this change i think we are getting away from a class change token and hopefully i am wrong about this.

On the other hand before this account wide achievement thing, this game really needs a default way to track how many furnishing plans exist in game and what sort of progress has been completed on the character. Housing is big part of the game and furnishing plans needs a better way of tracking.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These things seem wholly unrelated to me, as in the existence of one has no effect on the other.

I'm pretty sure that they don't want to do class change because programmaticly it would be a nightmare.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This change is going to be amazing

I have no time nor desire to redo all acheivement on all my characters so having them auto unlock is amazing

Also

All those people telling us they didn't want a new class cause they would eed to get those acheivement again will now be able to play other character to their heart content!!

Now i think there will be even less comunity resistance toward a new class for this very reason

Sure some poeple wont be happy but you cant please everybody everytime
  • drsalvation
    drsalvation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blktauna wrote: »
    These things seem wholly unrelated to me, as in the existence of one has no effect on the other.

I'm pretty sure that they don't want to do class change because programmaticly it would be a nightmare.

I don't see how it would be any different as switching from vampire to werewolf. If the UI elements that say your class don't update when you actually do change your class, then that's signs of spaghetti code and poor organization and in that case, yeah, it could be a nightmare. That's why design patterns and architectures are standard practice.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Achievements and Class Change are not related for me. I don't care a bit about achievements or titles. But I would very much like to change a class that I fully brought up and, after a thorough try, did not work out.

If I could simply change class on such a character it would avoid the grind for: Mount training, Undaunted, Psijic, FG, MG, Legardemain, Antiquities, Alliance skills, med/light/hvy armor, skyshards, wayshrines, opening all maps and areas for ease of getting around. . . . Note, I've said nothing about getting a new character to level 50 or leveling up their class skills - those elements are insignificant compared to the other items on my list.

I love PLAYING the game, but just don't have it in me to repeat all the above for a new character after doing so on nearly a dozen of them.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    cmetzger93 wrote: »
    Now that we are getting account-wide acheivements does this mean that we will most likely never be getting a class change token? What's your opinion about which you would have preferred?

How are these 2 things even remotely related?
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it was unlikely with or without this change in achievements. They likely make more money off players rolling a new character buying all the skill lines, training, and such.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The class change being dead probably closer to those multiple times ZoS said they weren't going to do it because of technical reasons.
    PC NA
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »
    cmetzger93 wrote: »

How are these 2 things even remotely related?

One of the big reasons people had for asking for class change was that they had a main character that had a lot of achievements but they didn't enjoy playing anymore, but creating an alt meant they had to get all those achievements again.

If they now can get achievements regardless of character, they don't have a reason to ask for class change anymore, they can just create an alt.

I would have preferred a class change, because I didn't have to use it. Holding my breath on how the account-wide achievements is going to work...
    The Moot Councillor
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As someone with Flawless Conqueror on many of my characters I did it so that I knew i could and so i could understand the class better, not for the title or achievement.

There are many people who are happy to get the achievement but it's not the driving force behind why they do something.

Case in point, there is no achievement for defeating the final secret boss on HM for black drake villa, but of course my trifecta group did that.

According to the nay sayers we would never have bothered.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah that nail was driven a long time ago.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    Nah that nail was driven a long time ago.

Exactly. ZOS have been clear that it would never happen.

And it shouldn't ever happen.

The only thing I felt bad for people about was achievements. Now that's sorted, we can drop the class change token.
  • Viyvos
    Viyvos
    ✭✭✭
    I still hope we will get a class change token but given that achievements are now account wide it's unlikely that will ever release.