The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Overall story lost in sidequests

roney.jeremyub17_ESO
So, as I write this I'm almost finished with the Aldmeri Dominion side of things. Over the course of my adventures, I've come to notice a few things.

First, the world is being invaded by a daedric prince.. anchors are opening up all over.. and nobody seems to care in the slightest. The fighter's guild quests dealt with this a little bit, but overall this was almost entirely ignored by the world's inhabitants.

The second major event that is occurring the world is the war in Cyrodiil. While I was of course familiar with the lore and knew what was going on in the world, I saw next to no evidence of this conflict in the PvE side of things. I fought a few Covenant soldiers here and there, but not once did I fight anyone from the Ebonheart Pact. It felt quite awkward to come to the end of the game and start meeting the leaders of the other factions and find them to be so hostile. Apparently we're enemies, but the world seems to have forgotten that fact.

In the end, I feel like the two biggest events going on in the world were nearly entirely forgotten about and drowned out by the sheer number of side quests. These quests, while interesting in their own right, should have included a greater focus on the main story and overall diplomatic relations between the factions. What do you all think?
  • fougerec99b16_ESO
    fougerec99b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently busy trying to help my Queen claim her rightful place, Molag Bal can go hang :)
    Options
  • epoling
    epoling
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the people in charge are really paying attention to the Daedric threat yet. It's like the real world - everybody is more concerned with the easily identifiable local threat.
    Options
  • nexmilitis
    epoling wrote: »
    I don't think the people in charge are really paying attention to the Daedric threat yet. It's like the real world - everybody is more concerned with the easily identifiable local threat.

This this this!

Everyone is so about the "here and now" that they don't give a crap about what is actually occurring overall. Until it starts to affect them directly, pfft what war?

Wait didn't the daedra invade a while ago and nothing really happened. Why should I be worried, I haven't seen any?

That being said, when you do have a full on invasion/incursion, the NPCs can be a bit...blase about it. For instance, huge daedric invasion is occuring, and the guards are just standing around waiting for the daedra to come to them...seriously, be a bit more proactive!
    This is where an image would be if I were allowed to have an image in my signature...
    Options
  • Falmer
    Falmer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Part of the problem is you are playing on the Dominon side of things. Try playing the Ebonheart Pact. You will spend a good chunk of your time fighting off the invading armies of the other two alliances.
    Options
  • roney.jeremyub17_ESO
    True, as the Dominion I spent all my time fighting against the Heritance, a group of racist aldmeri that don't want to ally with the other races because they're better than everyone else. To help them with this goal they form alliances with the Covenant and apparently Molag Bal.. wait, what? I thought they didn't like other races..
    Options
  • nexmilitis
    I think Molag Bal is a means to an ends. The Heritance want to be at the top, and they don't care how they get there. Moreover, to them Molag Bal's power is what keeps him as an ally. I am certain that when by themselves, they resent his power and the fact that he is leading them to victory.
    This is where an image would be if I were allowed to have an image in my signature...
    Options