The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Mirri with a flame staff

xilfxlegion
xilfxlegion
✭✭✭✭✭
is absolutely evil.

when you talk to her she suggests a dagger or bow --- but on a whim i gave her a staff and she is downright lethal with it. give it a whirl.

• Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i personally prefer her with a bow for range dmg

the poison arrow allows for more consistent dmg because as their abilities are on cooldown, it hits decent and then does a reasonable dot while it is on cooldown, so it helps deal more dmg

the other skills i have her use are the meteor from the mages guild, and the crossbow from the fighters guild (reasonably low cooldown, good dmg, especially the crossbow dealing flat 2x dmg against daedra/undead

when i tried her with the staff, the wall of elements style attack was not great as it doesnt have a good range and enemies frequently ran out of the aoe, the impulse style attack doesnt work well unless its a ice staff cause they dont want to be in melee range, the only other reasonable destro skill they get is the first one which i feel the cooldown is too long
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave her a bow as well. The entire room immobilized and now my DK can get to work.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Companion + Ranged Weapon = Boss Reset

:|
    PC NA
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »

Agreed, ranged weapons are annoying on companions. Tried it a few times, couldn't get it to work in dungeons properly. Even the ice staff stinks.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

QFT

I used to use mirri as a healer, then ranged dps, and now I use her as melee dps because I got so sick of bosses running after her, then she would evade backward and the boss would run off to Siberia.
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't you have to hope for a bow drop though? She has a staff because that's all that droped for companion gear so far.
  • Sable751
    Sable751
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, I gave Mirri a flame staff after trying various weapons and have never looked back. But you also need to pick the right selection of skills.

Now all I have to do is persuade her to get on a ship bound for the High Isle in June, without losing rapport :)
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Castagere wrote: »
    Don't you have to hope for a bow drop though? She has a staff because that's all that droped for companion gear so far.

You can buy white companion gear from merchants. You can buy a bow from the woodworker, I think it was.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »

Agreed, ranged weapons are annoying on companions. Tried it a few times, couldn't get it to work in dungeons properly. Even the ice staff stinks.

I've had good luck with the ice staff on Mirri. She holds her ground instead of doing dodge roll resetting the boss. All ranged attacks with Vanish to keep her alive.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »

I've had good luck with the ice staff on Mirri. She holds her ground instead of doing dodge roll resetting the boss. All ranged attacks with Vanish to keep her alive.

ice staff is the only ranged weapon for companions where they wont dodge roll (i think because its trying to simulate the player ice staff being used for tanking)

personally i havent had issues with ranged companions most of the time, usually i either have the aggro for doing tons of dmg, or i have the aggro because ranged dps works great when your on a tank toon to begin with lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Even aside from the boss resets -- I often taunt the boss anyway for DPS Mirri.

There were a lot of pathing issues with the companions trying to hit targets with ranged weapons but getting stuck on pillars or corners and doing absolutely nothing while attempting to fire a skill. Made a lot more work for me to move the fight simply to get a clear line of shot for them.
    PC NA
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im not having the issue where she resets bosses.

but i am loving that by the time i go to loose a second arrow - her flame staff blast knows them enemies on their rumps and then theyre done. she doesnt do that with a bow.

• FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Castagere wrote: »

Companion weapons are very cheap in guild stores.