Maintenance for the week of March 25:
β€’ [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO Talk: The Great Pay To Win Debate

Simurgh
Simurgh
✭✭✭
19fK1EM.jpg]
Lets Catch Up!
Discord πŸ”» YouTube πŸ”» Twitch πŸ”» Twitter πŸ”» ESO HQ

ESO Talk: The Great Pay To Win Debate

In this ESO Talk video I discuss The Great Pay To Win Debate for The Elder Scrolls Online. Where do you stand of the great Pay To Win versus Pay For Convenience Debate? If you enjoy the video please consider subscribing to the channel and turning on notifications so you don't miss the next one. I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments!

Live streaming most days on Twitch!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say ESO is a Buy to Play Game with a lot of "Pay for Convenience" items.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree but I think the purpose of this thread is to advertise their streaming.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you would ask me "yes" or "no", binary 0 or 1 question: Is ESO P2W ? Then my answer would be.... Yes.

The reason why it would be "Yes" is because there are certain "things" in the game that are "best in slot" (for various activities), that you need to spend additional cash in order to obtain (example: Classes or dungeon DLC gear). As long as a class or gear is even 0.1% better than the stuff that is available in a base game or without additional cash payments, then it is imho a P2W.

Basically speaking: If there is a way to obtain better result in an end game PvP or PvE that require additional payments (and it is the only way to obtain that form of advantage) - then it is P2W. It does not matter that advantage you get is minimal - P2W is P2W.

On the other hand, if you would ask me again an open question: Do you think that ESO is P2W ? Then my answer would be: Probably not... not "much" at least. Imho if something about ESO is P2W, then it is within this "grey area" and you are not sure if 1% better is meaningful.

I also think it is important to ask ourselves: What is winning ? - Then the answer would be different, depending on who you ask. For me for example - winning is achieving better result than my competitor (Winning a PvP duel, or being on top of high score). But for someone else it might be creating best looking house or character (fashion is end game too :D ) or maybe winning a trading bid and having access to best trading spot.

So it is a matter of perspective. A trader would not consider OP DLC dungeon gear a P2W - because Dungeon gear is not tradable, so from a perspective of a guild trader (yes it is a form of end-game) - such gear is useless. But... from a perspective of a hard core PvP-er - OP gear means that if I buy that DLC Dungeon faster & get that gear, then I will have extra advantage & I will be able to win almost every fight.

Again, a matter of perspective. If you are a crafter - then even something like ESO+ Craft Bag can be um.... P2W, because you are way more efficient with it and you can craft gear for others & earn gold faster. I know that Craft Bag is more like "Pay for convenience" thing - but again - it is a matter of perspective. For a "crafter" end-game player, Craft Bag is a huge deal.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on January 23, 2022 1:59AM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you would ask me "yes" or "no", binary 0 or 1 question: Is ESO P2W ? Then my answer would be.... Yes.

The reason why it would be "Yes" is because there are certain "things" in the game that are "best in slot" (for various activities), that you need to spend additional cash in order to obtain (example: Classes or dungeon DLC gear). As long as a class or gear is even 0.1% better than the stuff that is available in a base game or without additional cash payments, then it is imho a P2W.

Multiples time a years we have access to all DLCs which permits any player to obtain the gear from those DLCs even if they have never subscribed or purchased a DLC. So this suggestion that ESO is P2W is easily quashed.

• Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I also think it is important to ask ourselves: What is winning ? - Then the answer would be different, depending on who you ask. For me for example - winning is achieving better result than my competitor (Winning a PvP duel, or being on top of high score). But for someone else it might be creating best looking house or character (fashion is end game too :D ) or maybe winning a trading bid and having access to best trading spot.

Exactly this.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.
  • Simurgh
    Simurgh
    ✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: Β»

I agree but I think the purpose of this thread is to advertise their streaming.

This is under community creations so obviously it is to promote content, however, anyone who knows anything about my content knows that these types of conversations are ones that I enjoy regardless of content. This is a topic that has come up a lot lately with different perspectives for good reason.