The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Please remove the hammer and any other unnecessary things that cause lag in Cyrodil.

BlakMarket
BlakMarket
✭✭✭✭
Zos has spoken about fixing performance, until they have fixed it please remove anything that creates extra lag to an already unplayable game.
  • _adhyffbjjjf12
    _adhyffbjjjf12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlakMarket wrote: »
    Zos has spoken about fixing performance, until they have fixed it please remove anything that creates extra lag to an already unplayable game.

the hammer does not cause lag, bad server coding causes lag . The person using hammer would simply use their normal skills, its irrelevant.
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭

the hammer does not cause lag, bad server coding causes lag . The person using hammer would simply use their normal skills, its irrelevant.

The hammer causes faction stacks, which in turn creates completely unplayable performance for the whole server. Would we be at a loss if the hammer never spawned? No. More trouble then it's worth.
  • EmperorIl
    EmperorIl
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree hammer is not the problem, but it should still be deleted because it is just a horrible mechanic.

I would like to see a test where all custom appearances are gone and everything is thrown into the same faction armor and mounts. No weapon/armor effects, nothing. I know it would not be popular because people like the barbie doll aspect of the game, but PvP should be about PvP first. Looking good but not being able to fire off a skill is worthless to a PvPr.
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭
    EmperorIl wrote: »
    I agree hammer is not the problem, but it should still be deleted because it is just a horrible mechanic.

I would like to see a test where all custom appearances are gone and everything is thrown into the same faction armor and mounts. No weapon/armor effects, nothing. I know it would not be popular because people like the barbie doll aspect of the game, but PvP should be about PvP first. Looking good but not being able to fire off a skill is worthless to a PvPr.

I agree with this 100%, well said.
  • BlossomDead
    BlossomDead
    ✭✭✭✭
    Game is unplayable as it is. For instance on PC EU Daggerfall always does faction stacking in Cyro and make massive use of Dark Convergence as to cause as much lag as possible.

You know things are bad when enemies use lag as a feature.
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes please remove Ballgroups and crossheal, you know like you did in the best running test...but noooo Ballgroups are not the issue. Its just them that can cast freely, while we can't even use a light attack on them because of lag and its just with them online that the entire server dies.
    Edited by L_Nici on January 24, 2022 9:17PM
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    L_Nici wrote: »
    Yes please remove Ballgroups and crossheal, you know like you did in the best running test...but noooo Ballgroups are not the issue. Its just them that can cast freely, while we can't even use a light attack on them because of lag and its just with them online that the entire server dies.

you can't remove ball groups because the thing that makes them "ball groups" is coordination. That's basically asking them to remove any semblance of coordination or group play or anything that's not mindless zerging. Which is impossible to do unless you remove grouping from pvp(which I would argue hurts everyone in open world not just ball groups)
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @xDeusEJRx Well it worked during the tests. Even just the disabling of Crosshealing did wonders never had that good performance before or ever after.
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, the hammer is not the problem. It’s the concentration of the new particle heavy mounts, polymorphs, skins, arms packs, and what not in one place that’s causing the lag and crashes.

New shinies are ZOS’s biggest money makers. There’s no way they will stop cranking them out. They are already cannibalizing the game in some places by hiding certain effects, companions, etc. And people are gonna be mad if it comes down to ZOS hiding the big ticket items folks spent a lot of cash on.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭

Ballgroups are maybe on a couple of hours a week, the hammer is daily, every 3 or so hours causing complete faction stacks, then when hammer comes out when ballgroups are on, you can see ZOS server fires from space.
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol my ball group is getting hit with record lag and disconnects as well; we literally had a night where all but one person DC'd Please stop blaming us for ZOS' inability/unwillingness to fix their servers
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does the hammer itself cause lag? No, I don't believe so. I believe it's more of when the hammer is surrounded by large groups of players from whichever alliance has hammer. It's these big battles that's causing the lag. I've been bluescreened 3 times in just one fight at Roe when DC had hammer and AD was trying to defend. Zos really needs to invest in some more stable servers
  • AJones43865
    AJones43865
    ✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't help but see the irony in the OP.

They've already removed most of the players from cyrodiil. It doesn't seem to have helped.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am being mostly serious. I'm not sure what all else they can remove or "optimize". We've known for years the problem is a business model that does not favor investments in hardware to support their game.
    Edited by AJones43865 on January 25, 2022 6:12PM
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, hammer and most of the other "unnecessary things" were added as part of paid content, whether a chapter in the case of hammer, or DLC, in the case of sets like dark convergence. The likelihood of them being significantly altered or outright removed is low.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭

They've already removed most of the players from cyrodiil. It doesn't seem to have helped.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am being mostly serious. I'm not sure what all else they can remove or "optimize". We've known for years the problem is a business model that does not favor investments in hardware to support their game.

I dont know what platform youre on, but PC/NA population is extremely healthy and active. Rich Lambert also said on stream certain mechanics, increased lag, like bridge and gate mechanics.
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, hammer and most of the other "unnecessary things" were added as part of paid content, whether a chapter in the case of hammer, or DLC, in the case of sets like dark convergence. The likelihood of them being significantly altered or outright removed is low.

They have removed the hammer from Raven watch, so there is hope. I dont think sets like DC create lag, I think mechanics like the hammer and cross healing encourage full faction stacks are unhealthy for performance.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They have removed the hammer from Raven watch, so there is hope. I dont think sets like DC create lag, I think mechanics like the hammer and cross healing encourage full faction stacks are unhealthy for performance.

And yet there were hundreds more players in Cyro when it launched, complete with cross healing and even bigger zergs, and the game performed much better. So those things are not the issue.

• AJones43865
    AJones43865
    ✭✭✭✭

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I dont know what platform youre on, but PC/NA population is extremely healthy and active. Rich Lambert also said on stream certain mechanics, increased lag, like bridge and gate mechanics.

Population caps on PC NA used to be 500 players/faction. The cap is now about 75/faction. Lag is worse now with the radically lower pop caps. The player base on PC NA is maybe 25% of what it was a few years ago.

This is what I meant by they've already removed most of the players from cyrodiil.
    Edited by AJones43865 on January 25, 2022 9:34PM
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

And yet there were hundreds more players in Cyro when it launched, complete with cross healing and even bigger zergs, and the game performed much better. So those things are not the issue.

Are you really trying to compare ESO now to when it first arrived to market @Jaraal ? There has been so much content/bugs added to the game since release. Such a bad take tbh.

Why are you so against removing the hammer? It clearly creates lag, because it creates faction stacks. Would pvp be healthier without it? Yes. Are we losing anything if it never spawned? No.
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Population caps on PC NA used to be 500 players/faction. The cap is now about 75/faction. Lag is worse now with the radically lower pop caps. The player base on PC NA is maybe 25% of what it was a few years ago.

This is what I meant by they've already removed most of the players from cyrodiil.

Ahh gotcha, my mistake. I really dont understand the push back though with removing the hammer, it makes an already laggy game even more laggy. You know pvp will healthier without it.
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ahh gotcha, my mistake. I really dont understand the push back though with removing the hammer, it makes an already laggy game even more laggy. You know pvp will healthier without it.

Hammer is either super fun or super annoying. It can either lead to one faction driving everyone off the map or liven up a fight-less night.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hammer is either super fun or super annoying. It can either lead to one faction driving everyone off the map or liven up a fight-less night.

Yup, seen it go both ways, but since I generally only play prime time now, it usually results in a massive lag stack when I see it. Also used to play on Blackreach, where it would oddly spawn about the same time each night after most logged off, the same team of guys would grab it, and basically cap the map in no time. It was literally a mad dash from one keep to the next crowning emp (not even repairing walls/doors), then a dash to collect all the scrolls up.

I get nightcapping is a thing, but even when my faction was doing it, it felt wrong to be able to do it so quickly. When you only have a team of 5, it should take a while to grab the whole map and all the scrolls, not just an hour or two, the longest part of which was hauling the scrolls.
  • AJones43865
    AJones43865
    ✭✭✭✭

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wouldn't miss the hammer a bit. Never liked it. I wouldn't miss the bridge/gate mechanics either. I'd be fine with solid bridges and gates as we had before. If it will reduce lag, these would be very small changes to the overall game play in my opinion.

But, when and if they do fix the lag, I'd like to see an alternative to the hammer that actually does always favor the last place faction.
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wouldn't miss the hammer a bit. Never liked it. I wouldn't miss the bridge/gate mechanics either. I'd be fine with solid bridges and gates as we had before. If it will reduce lag, these would be very small changes to the overall game play in my opinion.

But, when and if they do fix the lag, I'd like to see an alternative to the hammer that actually does always favor the last place faction.

Well said, my sentiments exactly & yes a reworked hammer mechanic once the lag is "fixed" to favor the last place faction is a great idea.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you really trying to compare ESO now to when it first arrived to market @Jaraal ? There has been so much content/bugs added to the game since release. Such a bad take tbh.

Why are you so against removing the hammer? It clearly creates lag, because it creates faction stacks. Would pvp be healthier without it? Yes. Are we losing anything if it never spawned? No.

Yes, my bad. ESO now should be running much better now than when it was introduced, due to technology improvements, game and player hardware improvements, code streamlining, and such. We shouldn't be comparing it to the more primitive version of ESO from launch.

And, performance issues aside, the hammer is a fun mechanic. It gets people just standing around in keeps moving towards the action. It's the wild card that can swing the tide of battle, depending on who wields it, and how they are supported. It's also fun to try and kill it, my characters value the Vanquisher achievement over the Wielder achievement.
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes, my bad. ESO now should be running much better now than when it was introduced, due to technology improvements, game and player hardware improvements, code streamlining, and such. We shouldn't be comparing it to the more primitive version of ESO from launch.

And, performance issues aside, the hammer is a fun mechanic. It gets people just standing around in keeps moving towards the action. It's the wild card that can swing the tide of battle, depending on who wields it, and how they are supported. It's also fun to try and kill it, my characters value the Vanquisher achievement over the Wielder achievement.

Agree to disagree.

ZOS's Ceo said himself not much has changed since launch because they have the ethos of always catering to people with older PC's/Consoles. The bare minimum change in code, hence the full rework as mentioned.

I'll leave it that, I seem to disagree with 100% of what you say across this forum, so I'll step away from the conversation I think its a waste of time for both of us.