Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Having trouble dealing with groups in PvE as low level Sorcerer

Kamatsu
Kamatsu
✭✭✭✭
Hi,

I'm having trouble dealing with groups of 2-3 mobs in PvE as a sorcerer, and wondering how do Sorc's deal with this?

The issue I'm having is that no matter what I do I always have 1-2 mobs coming after me when fighting groups of 2-3. I'm currently only level 18 with limited amount of skills, here's some of the things I've tried/noted:

- I've tried sending in my pet(s) to attack when I've been out of range... and only attack after the Clanfear has attacked
- Having the twighlight out makes it harder, as it tends to hit 1st... so mobs go after it and then switch to me
- I've tried just having the clanfear out and using that, they still go for me

It makes it somewhat frustrating as it means I spend half the time dodge-rolling and/or blocking mobs that are right in my face rather than actually being able to attack anything. This wasn't an issue earlier on in the 1st main map, but now I'm in the second area... it's becoming an issue. I also do have to dodgeroll as a mobs normal hit hurts a fair bit, seeing as I'm wearing 5 light / 1 medium / 1 heavy for the light armor bonuses - heavy is on chest, medium is shoulder-pads, rest light.

Currently wielding a inferno staff, with the following skills: Crystal Blast (AoE morph of Crystal Shard) & Lightening Splash for offence, with the remainder being Clanfear, twighlight & a restoration staff skill (to level the skill and Resto staff).

Hoping someone can help with some advice/tips on how to deal with groups, as I'm getting a bit annoyed having to spend a big chunk of the fight rolling around, CC'ed by enemies (lag gets me hit even if I roll/block attacks sometimes) and generally running around like a headless chicken trying to avoid fights.

I picked Sorcerer as they are a pet class, and every other MMO I've played that had a pet class... you could use the pets as tanks and generally not have to play 'kite-the-mob' when fighting groups of 2-3 mobs. It seems this isn't the case with ESO?
Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 24, 2022 7:21PM
o_O
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark Magic>Encase. CC them first! >:)

Take shattering morph for more damage or restraining morph if you want the additional snare. This with pets and your Crystal fragments stun should buy you enough time to dps them down.

Also, Storm Calling>Lightning Form. Increases armor AND spell resistances by a ton.

magicka dps is slow until you can get impulse from the destruction line for a solid AoE burn ability.

Edit: the AI in ESO is not the most intuitive and you'll be lucky if your pets retain agro of more than one npcs at a time.

I also forgot Storm Calling> Mages wrath is your execute you should be using it when enemies are <20% HP. So the rotation would be something like.

Send in pets>
    Force shock until npcs arrive at your doorstep w liquid lighting>
    encase to CC>
    crystal frag any npc outlyers>
    force pulse to 20%>
    mages wrath execution.

Finally go with destro/destro and unsummon your clanfear for a self heal instead of using the resto staff.
    Edited by Cuyler on September 17, 2015 1:39PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Gorilla
    Gorilla
    ✭✭✭
    Above poster is spot on. Also, if you don't know already learn to kite. But ESO is mmo-lite at lower levels so with lightning form you can melee if you want. A mage with a maul can actually be very potent and fun!
  • Kamatsu
    Kamatsu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the advice. I do know how to kite, and will focus more on CC & kiting with my sorcerer from now on. I was trying to play it as I would a pet class elsewhere, rather than a mage class like I should have been. Upon thinking, it's because this worked throughout the 1st zone, but not so well in the second.
    o_O
  • tactica
    tactica
    ✭✭✭
    Kamatsu wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm having trouble dealing with groups of 2-3 mobs in PvE as a sorcerer, and wondering how do Sorc's deal with this?

The issue I'm having is that no matter what I do I always have 1-2 mobs coming after me when fighting groups of 2-3.

Your first responder is spot on from my experience. There's a lot of sound advice there!

From my 1.6 experience on Console, and as Sorc was my first toon of 3 to get to VR, I'll add a few things that I learned along the way... though 1.7 update has dropped, and things may have changed along the leveling path... so your mileage may very well be different, and your jorney or vision may not be the same (I also played a HE looking to DPS nuke!!):

1) I started with a Sorc and wanted the Pets to work. However, I quickly decided they had to go. I just decided I wanted more DPS and they were really a hinderance on my bar from where I wanted to get to. So your mileage may vary, and I've seen folks who make them work, but for me, I quickly decided that I just wanted to nuke.

2) early on, CC abilities are your friend as a mage. When you morph, you'll be able to CC multiple mobs too with your abilities.

3) Take a look at your Destro Staff. Your first skill also morphs and knocks mobs away. Very handy.

4) Elemental Wall is a great Destro staff ability to lay down large swathes of fire from your elemental line. Burn the Ground, CC mobs in it, Clenched Fist mobs who get close, weave light and heavy attacks in there, ultimate for the win, nuke over and over.

5) Your Storm Calling line is by far your strongest nuke casting spell line. Its has a ton of damage in it and passives are phenomonal. Keep up with your passives.

6) Your Destro Staff passives are also not to be underestimated. Same for your High Elf or Dark Elf passives if you took that Race... if you didn't... consider it hard as you are a Sorc. Lot of benefit there before you get too vested...

8) Mages Guild is your friend... keep INNER LIGHT up and if you don't have it, get it.

9) Mages Guild Structured Entropy... its a huge Damage Booster... if you don't have it, get it... placing this dot before a fight on some mob will help your damage output if you are nuking...

10) LIGHT ARMOR PASSIVES are your friend, keep them up

11) Eventually you will not even need to worry about cc'ing mobs, you just got to get your damage to where you need it... you'll heal through or DPS through (stay strong, get focused on that plan)

12) Remember damage comes from TOTAL MAGICKA and SPELL DAMAGE... look for things like Wizard Jewelry sets which really boost

A solid low level build could look like this:
    Bar 1:
    >> flex slot >> Grand Healing - staff (destro - Force Pulse if you have a good healer with you)
    Liquid Lighting (a morph I think you already have, placed to generate crit chance for shard)
    Crystal Frag (could proc for instant cast)
    Bound Aegis (when morphed, adds to spell damage, and protects you - more Power!!)
    Inner Light (mages Guild - more power!!!)
    ULT - Storm Autronarch (replace with Meteor from Mage Guild when you can)

Bar 2:
    Structured Entropy - (mage guild, dot increases damage, could run Force Pulse here if you don't have SE)
    >> flex slot >> Mages Wrath (finisher for boss @ <20%, could swap other skills if no boss)
    Elemental Wall (early, swap to Elemental Ring later at Destro 38+)
    Bound Aegis (when morphed, adds to spell damage, and protects you - more Power!!)
    ULT - Energy Overload (cool thing is, powerful, and gives you a third bar!!)

Bar 3
    It's a beautiful thing when you get to control resources like the sorc
    Fire up your Energy Overload... While Active, go take a look at your skills - you now have secret bar 3!
    >>> flex slot I like the dark exchange for more magicka, a dot will keep ultimate going, crystal shard is fun, experiment here!
    Structured Entropy - (mage guild, dot increases damage, could run Force Pulse here if you don't have SE)
    Liquid Lighting (a morph I think you already have, placed to generate crit chance for shard)

ULT - Energy Overload (cool thing is, powerful, and gives you a third bar!!)

gear
    light armor x5
    1x Heavy Armor (either chest, head or leg - these are your big armor bumps)
    1x Medium Armor (either chest, head or leg - these are your big armor bumps)

I'd recomend INFUSED on the head, leg and chest pieces, I personally like MUNDUS on other pieces... you could go reinforced or however you feel best suited on the others... I like *MORE POWER* on my mage nuke builds.

If you have access... magicka runes... lots of them

Mundus
    Apprentice is worth looking at for spell damage now
    Mage may be necessary to get you where you need to be with pool
    Thief / Shadow should be tried from time to time to see if the crit damage is worthwhile in your build

Attributes
    Live and Die by Magicka... If all is going well, you are heavily investing in magicka... health investments are at a minimum and no stamina here.

Happy Hunting,

1.7 is new for us all on Console... let us know where you land.

"Get some!"
    NA, PS4, vr13-DE Maj DK, vr9-HE Maj Sorc, vr1-Kaj Stam NB
    Knowledge is Power
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll keep it simple - encase and lightning flood are good for handling multiple mobs. Encase them and flood them, then spam away with your single target skills (light attack, force shock, crystal shards on proc), and re-apply lightning flood and encase when they run out. Morphs your choice (I like shattering prison, liquid lightning, crushing shock, and crystal fragments).
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently wielding a inferno staff, with the following skills: Crystal Blast (AoE morph of Crystal Shard) & Lightening Splash for offence, with the remainder being Clanfear, twighlight & a restoration staff skill (to level the skill and Resto staff).
    First, stop with the resto. You're a sorc, not a healer, and you're wasting valuable exp to a worthless skill. Work on resto later. Plenty of time given your current level.

Second, you've got pretty much everything I have, and that's all I've used in the game.
    I hit with splash lightning first.
    As they charge, I knock them back into the splash.
    Then I splash again.
    In order of attack for shards: healers, tanks, and everything else (though my familiars take care of the easy crap).

Third, get busy with provisioning. Make both food and drink early. Ingredients are everywhere. It's the fastest skill you can level to 50. Once you get decent enough, stop making drinks and focus on health food. This extra will give you plenty to survive most battles. When you get into the blues, you can do both health and magicka. Passives grant extra servings (up to 4) and time (up to 20 minutes), so you won't have to run around looking for food. Oh, and you'll want to pick up fishing because several dishes require it and trust me, it's easier to fish than look for it.

I only have 5 attributes in health and the rest went to magicka. I can probably count the number of times I've died on two hands, and most of those were due to my own stupidity of trying to scale down vertical walls.

Sorcs are so seriously OP, you can take on crossbone bosses solo. Dolemns can be a challenge (died twice doing them solo), but you can clear them out too.

Now, I will say one thing: after the latest patch, the knockback was screwed over. Before, they'd fall back and stay down for about 2 seconds. Now, they get knocked back but don't fall down. Plan accordingly for this change (aka, don't knockback unless you need to) and spam those spells.

With practice, you'll be able to handle 3-6 enemies at a time without breaking a sweat. ;)
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    Great comments above, really good.
    Takes a long time to get to know exactly what works for you, mainly done by trial and error. Shields are a must morph them as soon as you can for example healing ward. As for pets, I have found the winged twilight very useful and still use it some times, it has a healing ability which is useful. If you follow the above posts you will see a difference in game play.
    Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
    -Johnny Depp
  • Gorilla
    Gorilla
    ✭✭✭
    Also if you are on NA server, EP alliance, ping me @soldras. Happy to level my new mage with you.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    First, stop with the resto. You're a sorc, not a healer, and you're wasting valuable exp to a worthless skill. Work on resto later. Plenty of time given your current level.

Second, you've got pretty much everything I have, and that's all I've used in the game.
    I hit with splash lightning first.
    As they charge, I knock them back into the splash.
    Then I splash again.
    In order of attack for shards: healers, tanks, and everything else (though my familiars take care of the easy crap).

Third, get busy with provisioning. Make both food and drink early. Ingredients are everywhere. It's the fastest skill you can level to 50. Once you get decent enough, stop making drinks and focus on health food. This extra will give you plenty to survive most battles. When you get into the blues, you can do both health and magicka. Passives grant extra servings (up to 4) and time (up to 20 minutes), so you won't have to run around looking for food. Oh, and you'll want to pick up fishing because several dishes require it and trust me, it's easier to fish than look for it.

I only have 5 attributes in health and the rest went to magicka. I can probably count the number of times I've died on two hands, and most of those were due to my own stupidity of trying to scale down vertical walls.

Sorcs are so seriously OP, you can take on crossbone bosses solo. Dolemns can be a challenge (died twice doing them solo), but you can clear them out too.

Now, I will say one thing: after the latest patch, the knockback was screwed over. Before, they'd fall back and stay down for about 2 seconds. Now, they get knocked back but don't fall down. Plan accordingly for this change (aka, don't knockback unless you need to) and spam those spells.

With practice, you'll be able to handle 3-6 enemies at a time without breaking a sweat. ;)

Don't entirely agree with the bit in bold, although I understand the sentiment. Resto staff can be good to get early just for Healing Ward alone, but keeping Rapid Regen ticking can help a lot too. Sorcs don't unlock Hardened Ward (or its pe-morph) until lvl42 in Deadric Summoning so the only physical damage mitigation available to them before this is Boundless Storm or Healing Ward. If you carry a resto staff with training trait you can unlock Healing Ward much sooner than Hardened Ward. Boundless Storm is great, one of my fave skills but it won't help when you have 5 ranged mobs agro'd on you and don't yet have Streak.

I agree with everything else though, including sorcs being easy-mode when you get the hang of it. Streak helps with the easy-mode though and that isn't unlocked until lvl 42 Storm Calling, until then Healing Ward op.
    Edited by FriedEggSandwich on September 19, 2015 1:20PM
    PC | EU
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't entirely agree with the bit in bold, although I understand the sentiment. Resto staff can be good to get early just for Healing Ward alone, but keeping Rapid Regen ticking can help a lot too.
    True, but I took his current level into consideration, which is why I recommend holding off on healing staff/skills. He should get strong first, so when he's ready for resto, he can defend himself while leveling them later.

He just barely unlocked weapon swap and it's unlikely he's using this to his advantage, but I'll admit this is an assumption on my part.

Reading his post, it looked to me like he's putting resto in primary, not secondary, which is something I feel is detrimental to his build.

Resto is okay, but not at this level, especially with other non-skill-exp taking sources to buff health (provisioning). That's why I said it was worthless.

He's having issues because he's focusing on defense, not offense.

This game will chew him up over that decision. Mob control is the most important element of this game, and without it, well, no amount of health is going to help.
    :tongue:
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    @Violynne I was going to question your thinking regarding the resto staff, but it makes complete sense what you wrote after. The resto is definitely a back up, learning another skill line at a lower lvl is also a good idea, although its never too late to learn.
    Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
    -Johnny Depp
  • Kamatsu
    Kamatsu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Woah, firstly I just want to say again, a big thank you to everyone for the help, advice & tips. Very helpful, and definitely highlighting my problems - the way I've been playing sorc and the skills I've been using.

Firstly I'd like to address the whole resto staff thing - I only ever have 1 resto staff skill on my bar at a time, so as to level the skill and the weapon. The reason I did this was not because I want to be a healer or anything... but I read around a bit before playing and it was highly recommended to try and level skills from other weapons as you level - and as a magicka based Sorc, I felt the resto staff was a natural selection, and gave me access to self-heals once I hit lvl 15 (ie destro/resto on weapon swap).

So for the whole time I've been leveling I've had at least 1 skill from each class line on my bar, as well as a skill from destro & resto staff's. I couldn't see myself working on weapon skills & lines... at least at first, simply because they are stamina based. Altho potentially maybe if I went stamsorc in the future I'd want them leveled.

I'm not a min/max'er and generally just play to have fun. Sure I know what I have been do9ing can be considered as 'gaming the system'... but it never interfered in my fun and I could just play. Obviously I'm now having second thoughts as I've hit a bit of a wall - I'm still killing things, but it's been a bit frustrating.

Also, I admit I am not taking advantage of weapon swapping. I currently use 1 weapon and 1 skill bar. I probably should change this and use both bars... although this would mean remapping my keyboard as I use the ` key for pet attacks (it's the default weapon swap key) - I do so from years of using this in GW2/WoW/SWTOR/STO to send pets/companions in to attack.

Is race such a big issue? I can see high elf and dark elf being mentioned, but I went with Breton. It has boost to magicka and spell cost so seemed to fit in for a magicka based class like Sorc. Altho admittedly I'm considering restarting... not happy with how the hair style I picked works/looks in-game (I prefer no helmets)

Regarding the passives - I have been getting the passives as I can. Have most of the passives in class & race lines which increase magicka, regen, duration... I don't have any of the destro staff passives, which I know isn't good as I heavy attack all the time, so it would actually do me good.

I am also guilty of ignoring mage guild skills. I guess I've been too focused on trying to focus on leveling skills from class lines, destro & resto staff. Does that extra spell crit help all that much at low level's tho? I'm used to games where generally crit doesn't do all that much at lower level's, and only really comes into play at higher level's.

Some q regarding skill morph choices:

Crystal Frag - is going for the 35% chance of instant cast (and more damage) to a single target better than the AoE morph?

Bound Aegis/Armor - what could I use instead of this till I get Summoning skill high enough? Would Boundless Storm (morph og Lightning Form) work?

Liquid Lightning - so longer duration better than area of effect? And currently not morphable yet, altho nearly so.

Regarding attributes I'm currently at 8/9/0 Magicka/HP/Stamina spread. My goal was to go 1:1 M/HP till 10 hp then all magicka, till higher level and need for health was lower and then respect out of health. Thought going up to at least 10 health early on was a good plan as I knew my damage & such wouldn't be up to snuff, and latewr on likely better able to handle mobs. Also a good buffer as I try and learn how things work... and with me getting smacked upon it's seemed to have been a good idea, but maybe I'd just be better off going all magicka and all damage instead.

As for mundus stones, I currently only have access to The Lady, The Lover, The Tower, The Mage & The Lord. Admittedly I only just got access to the last 3 recently... but only 'discovered' the location for The Tower. Been using The Lady... but think I'll switch to The Mage.. as more magicka would do me more than more armor. Yes I know I could always head to Cyrodil and get any mundus stone... but to be honest, right now I'm not too much into PvP and having to try and avoid getting ganked while trying to get around a map.

As for provisioning - iirc It's currently somewhere between 30 & 40 (can't log in and check), and I've been making stuff with it whenever I have ingredients, learning recipes as I find and/or steal them... as well as doing the provisioning dailies as much as possible.

This is another problem with me though, as rather than keeping the relevant magicka/regen boosting foods/drinks... I've been selling everything rather than using it. This is def something I plan on changing, as looking at it... I'm loosing out on easy to get buffs for a piddly amount of gold. I tend to be overflowing with food/drink ingredients as I quest... so it wouldn't be an issue to keep a stack of these on hand for permanent buffing.

Is fishing a skill? Or is it just keeping guts/worms/etc in your bags and then using them whenever you come across a fishing hole? I've never really got into/understood the fishing in ESO, always just ignored fishing things.

Finally - I likely have been focusing more on defense than offense, and I'm learning that's not such a good idea. lol I'd much rather try and relearn things and gameplay, etc now rather than when I'm lvl 30-40+ and struggling even more than I am now (if I even got that far! lol). So again, thanx for the advice.
    o_O
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woah, firstly I just want to say again, a big thank you to everyone for the help, advice & tips. Very helpful, and definitely highlighting my problems - the way I've been playing sorc and the skills I've been using.
    Anytime.

That's what so fun about ESO: you learn as you go. :)
    Firstly I'd like to address the whole resto staff thing - I only ever have 1 resto staff skill on my bar at a time, so as to level the skill and the weapon.
    If it works for you, by all means, stick with it. We all have our preference.
    Also, I admit I am not taking advantage of weapon swapping. I currently use 1 weapon and 1 skill bar. I probably should change this and use both bars... although this would mean remapping my keyboard as I use the ` key for pet attacks (it's the default weapon swap key) - I do so from years of using this in GW2/WoW/SWTOR/STO to send pets/companions in to attack.
    Old habits are hard to break indeed. As a sorc, you should get used to weapon swapping as soon as you can. Not for the different weapons, but the different skills (I use inferno staff on both, but change the style so I know my weapons have been swapped - just a tip).

If you play with the familiars, be sure you map them identically or they'll unsummon if you swap out.

Is race such a big issue? I can see high elf and dark elf being mentioned, but I went with Breton. It has boost to magicka and spell cost so seemed to fit in for a magicka based class like Sorc. Altho admittedly I'm considering restarting... not happy with how the hair style I picked works/looks in-game (I prefer no helmets)
    Race isn't an issue at all. The magicka buff isn't grand enough to make a difference. In addition, there are plenty of buffs to make up for racial differences.
    Regarding the passives - I have been getting the passives as I can. Have most of the passives in class & race lines which increase magicka, regen, duration... I don't have any of the destro staff passives, which I know isn't good as I heavy attack all the time, so it would actually do me good.
    I rarely hit with heavy attacks, so I put this passive off until dead last. For me, it just takes too long to charge for a heavy whereas in the same time I can throw out 2-3 spells.
    I am also guilty of ignoring mage guild skills. I guess I've been too focused on trying to focus on leveling skills from class lines, destro & resto staff. Does that extra spell crit help all that much at low level's tho?
    Don't be guilty.

They're not so great, cost too much magicka, and the unlocks take forever to get because the Mage skill requires blue lore books to fill. To shed light on this: I'm VR9 and only level 9 in Mage's Guild. I'm 10 in Fighters and Legerdemain, because the Mage Skill leveling is severely broken in my opinion. It shouldn't take this long to level looking for stupid books.

If you get them and want to level them, I recommend you stay in the open world attacking the low-leveled enemies until you morph them and rank them to IV after morph.
    Some q regarding skill morph choices:

Crystal Frag - is going for the 35% chance of instant cast (and more damage) to a single target better than the AoE morph?
    Not only "yes", but "hell yes!" You will absolutely love this spell at 0 cost and given how much you'll be spamming spells, it's almost instant all the time. :tongue:
    Bound Aegis/Armor - what could I use instead of this till I get Summoning skill high enough? Would Boundless Storm (morph og Lightning Form) work?
    I can't answer this because I'm not wasting skyshards on useless skills. I focus on keeping my armor leveled and ensured I researched Armor rating increase on all my gear first. This is because it's only 6 hours and I wanted it yesterday. Only then do I research other traits.

I also do the same with my weapons.

By doing this, it makes armor skills pointless.
    Liquid Lightning - so longer duration better than area of effect? And currently not morphable yet, altho nearly so.
    I chose longer duration because I constantly knock back my enemies into the splash. :) Enemies move too much so area rarely stays "area".

I can't recall the name of the Daedric curse which locks enemies into place, but you definitely want this one. Lock them into place then rain down lightning while crystal sharding them. Yeah, you won't have too many problems with this combo.
    ;)
    Regarding attributes I'm currently at 8/9/0 Magicka/HP/Stamina spread. My goal was to go 1:1 M/HP till 10 hp then all magicka, till higher level and need for health was lower and then respect out of health.
    If you're going to reroll a new character, my advice: drop every attribute into Magicka. Every. Single. One.
    As for mundus stones, I currently only have access to The Lady, The Lover, The Tower, The Mage & The Lord. Admittedly I only just got access to the last 3 recently... but only 'discovered' the location for The Tower. Been using The Lady... but think I'll switch to The Mage..
    *slaps you upside the head.

You're a mage. Thus, the only stone you should be using is the one that increases your Magicka.

It's about magicka.

You'll also want to research at least 3 traits per armor piece so when you find Seducer, it boost magicka, regen, and the 5th piece reduces magicka costs.

As for provisioning - iirc It's currently somewhere between 30 & 40 (can't log in and check), and I've been making stuff with it whenever I have ingredients, learning recipes as I find and/or steal them... as well as doing the provisioning dailies as much as possible.
    Good. Keep making stuff until you hit 50 and be sure to unlock the extra servings and duration as soon as you get them. Trust me, making 4 servings will be very, very helpful.

Once you get to 50, you can stop making beverages. Scroll through your recipes and look at the blue section. Find those that boost magicka and health. If you don't have any, look for recipes to boost health.

The health offsets what you don't put in attributes, so don't sweat making it for magicka. Remember: these do NOT stack, so whatever you ate last is what takes effect.
    This is another problem with me though, as rather than keeping the relevant magicka/regen boosting foods/drinks... I've been selling everything rather than using it.
    It's okay to sell the stuff you have no intention of using.

The fastest way to level provisioning is to look at the level of the item you craft: only craft the highest level items. If you do the small level stuff, you'll be wasting time.

Go through your recipes and jot down only those you need to level and/or use. Toss everything else. There's plenty if you need them again if you should pick up a new recipe.[/quote]
    Is fishing a skill? Or is it just keeping guts/worms/etc in your bags and then using them whenever you come across a fishing hole? I've never really got into/understood the fishing in ESO, always just ignored fishing things.
    It's not a skill, but when it comes to provisioning, it's a much-used ingredient. If you don't have recipes which use it at the moment, you don't need to do it. Just when you're ready.

Quick guide to fishing:
    Insects are used at rivers.
    Guts are used at lakes.
    Crawlers are used at foul water, like sewers or Coldharbour.
    Worms are used at oceans.

All the other bait you can toss to save space as they don't make a difference on the fish you catch.

Do not throw away perfect roe. You can't miss it. It's colored yellow and you'll want to stock pile it. You can perfect roe from skinning your fish.
    Finally - I likely have been focusing more on defense than offense, and I'm learning that's not such a good idea. lol I'd much rather try and relearn things and gameplay, etc now rather than when I'm lvl 30-40+ and struggling even more than I am now (if I even got that far! lol). So again, thanx for the advice.
    I will admit it's going to take a bit of time to get used to using skills. Trying different combos to suit your needs will definitely help.

When you get strong enough, you'll find yourself using less staff and more skills.

Oh, and one more thing I want to add: The only Ultimate you need is Overload. This one spell is so damn good, you can literally take out crossbones bosses solo without breaking a sweat.

The key to using this: DO NOT USE THE HEAVY! Instead, fire off about 10 shots of light, then toggle it off. Shoot a few spells, and toggle it back on. This prevents you from using the Ultimate and you can do this until the thing is dead (just be mindful of enemies that cast negate - get out of that circle ASAP then attack).

Don't waste your skills on that pathetic atronoch that just stands there. ;)

Hope this helps some more. :smiley:

• tactica
    tactica
    ✭✭✭
    NP hope you found something useful. You'll make Sorc you're own in no time.

<snip Restro>
    It's a good play, especially early, to throw Restro on one bar and Destro on the other bar. I would only use a single skill from Restro for self heal though when solo... and when you go group, I would swap to dual Destro (you are not the healer).
    I'm not a min/max'er... <snip> I'm now having second thoughts as I've hit a bit of a wall - I'm still killing things, but it's been a bit frustrating.

Also, I admit I am not taking advantage of weapon swapping.<snip>
    If you are not using your second (or third bar) you should. It's a huge disadvantage to not do so. I get it, old habbits die hard... but, you are missing a huge amount of your flexability and potential. In many cases, I would say play the game however makes you feel happy, comfortable and fun... however in this case, I think getting used to that second (and third bar) are going to open up your fun factor... afterall, you asked and were struggling or to use your words ... "it's been a bit frustrating." so maybe its at least worth a try to break old habits.
    Yes and no.
    1. First the no... you said you are casual... you said you are not a min/maxer... Okay. With that in mind, then no - it doesn't matter. Play to have fun, do what you do, play a magicka argonian if that's your thing. You are not playing to get to end game, you are not playing to do crazy damage, you are not playing to solo bosses or any other content.

2. Now, the Yes... The High Elf really can reach heights with Sorc that no other race can. it's passives far outweigh bar none what other classes are capable of with an all magicka attribute dump. The HE passives get bonus's to learn destruction staff abilities, get bonus' to fire, ice, lightning damage... get bonus to magicka recovery, and bonus to maximum magicka... they are unmatched in this reguard. If you are going for maximum performance (which you said you are not) then this is your ideal choice. It doesn't have a profound impact until you start investing into the passives and until you get to higher levels... but when you get up there, it starts really adding up. Think about however large a pool is... 24K... 30K magicka... whatever... think about the spell formula for damage... now, think about your class giving you a percentage more than anyone else. It's a no brainer. Yes, it helps... but, only if you are going for MORE power. If not, see 1. above.
    If you are using a mage, and using Destro, the passives are quite helpful. If you are looking for more damage, I'd consider them. Light and heavy attack weaving can be a huge benefit too. The light attack starts your ultimate rebuilding... the heavy attack from staff regens your magicka... weaving both with your abilities gets them both ticking.
    I am also guilty of ignoring mage guild skills. I guess I've been too focused on trying to focus on leveling skills from class lines, destro & resto staff. Does that extra spell crit help all that much at low level's tho? I'm used to games where generally crit doesn't do all that much at lower level's, and only really comes into play at higher level's.
    It all depends upon your build. Inner Light is something I would go for ASAP. It is a force multiplier. Structured Entropy is something I would put on yoru mid-game short-list as a must have. It acts as a spell crit multiplier and a heal. With mage passives, it also is a setup for your next spell to follow entropy. It's a great combo piece and wouldn't leave home without them. You have to find the build you prefer though...
    Try it... you will be impressed. It's just a huge win button... especially when you get that 0 cast and an enemy boss gets a frag lunch at no spell cost following your liquid lightning... BTW, you can even proc it with grand healing or any other spell... its soo good and a must have for the sorc damage output.
    Boundless storm is a good spell and scratches a different itch, it would suppliment and serves a different purpose, but doesn't crank out more damage like Bound aegis does... go with what you got for now.
    If you are cc'ing, or fraging and knocking mobs down, or if they are doing their 'move' and standing in your Liquid lighting, you want them taking all the damage they can from it... so longer is better as you have more chance to proc a free frag... yes, much better choice in my opinion.
    Regarding attributes I'm currently at 8/9/0 Magicka/HP/Stamina spread. My goal was to go 1:1 M/HP till 10 hp then all magicka, till higher level and need for health was lower and then respect out of health. Thought going up to at least 10 health early on was a good plan as I knew my damage & such wouldn't be up to snuff, and latewr on likely better able to handle mobs. Also a good buffer as I try and learn how things work... and with me getting smacked upon it's seemed to have been a good idea, but maybe I'd just be better off going all magicka and all damage instead.
    LOL, for a casual who doesn't min/max, you sure seem like you want to leverage the most out of your toon... :) Okay, I'm just playing. LOL - couldn't resist.

Seriously, your plan wasn't terrible, but you got a bit lop sided in health early. Maybe 3-4 points top in health, whatever you needed to keep you in the game... but yeah, you need the magicka to damage. When I took my vr7 sorc to 50, I think I had a total of 6 points in health the whole way. Champ points, gear, play style... etc... its all going to play into your mix... however, 50/50 is not good... you want the vast majority (ideally all) of your attributes into your damage dealing skill.
    As for mundus stones, I currently only have access to The Lady, The Lover, The Tower, The Mage & The Lord. <snip>
    Yeah... of what you have, Mage... if you want to tinker, can look at Apprentice thief and shadow for build options... but that assumes you are tricking out build... if you are playing casual, stick to mage and don't look back.

<snip> Yep - food is good. Magicka / food buff is no brainer. I prefer food over drink... to each his / her own.

<snip>

You're welcome. You would do well to find a friend or three to roll with on occasion too. Amazing pointers can be picked up in game, just doing a few delves... running through cyrodil on dailies... or normal dungeon crawls... a lot of casual fun to be had with the right crowd once you get comfortable.

Until then, ask away... and happy hunting!
    NA, PS4, vr13-DE Maj DK, vr9-HE Maj Sorc, vr1-Kaj Stam NB
    Knowledge is Power
  • KilianDermoth
    KilianDermoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    The thing is, that sorcerer get stronger later on (especially the survivability) and can feal really weak at the beginn and especially in the medium levels.

But my most common tactic is: just let everything explode before it can harm you (sometimes even 1 shotting most mobs) and dodge the other.

Also I recommend to zoom out and run backwards, this way not all mobs will hit you.

At the beginning, get some health. About 16 (maybe more if you need it, but not more than 32) attribute points, rest into magicka. When you reach CP, respec and remove all health attributes and go full Magicka (because you will get some health from CP points). You should have about 20k health, at the beginning maybe even more until you can handle lower health. Also a pet summon (or bound aegis, the last skill of deadric summoning) gives you 8% extra health.

Level all your passives (class, armor, race, weapon, guild).

Maybe use 1 heavy armor piece on chest. Rest should preferably be light (sustain and damage).

Use Lightning Form (2. skill Storm Calling), it gives you a huge amount of resistances (6k).

Slot Bound Aegis (5. skill deadric summoning), it gives you a decent amount of restistances (3k).

Use critical Surge (Morph of 4. skill storm calling), it will boost your damage and give you a heal over time (on critical hits, but even DoTs or lightning form can critically hit).

Use CC, your options are:
    1. Volatile Familiar (Morph of 1. skill Daedric Summoning). You could learn to precast it, so that the stun happens when the enemies reach you.
    2. Encase (2. skill Dark Magic)
    3. Streak (Morph of 5. skill Storm Calling)
    4. Atronach (Ulti of Deadric Summoning)

Use Shields like Conjured Ward (4. Skill of Daedric Summoning).

Use a strong AOE spammable, a great option is the Unstable Wall of Elements (Morph of 2. Skill in Destruction Staff), especially with a shock staff.

Use Pets at least in overland. They wont detract all enemies but often at least 1 per pet. Especially the clanfear seems to reliably taunt. Also they are your best burst heals. The Clannfear (Morph of 1. skill deadric summoning) is health based (works usually only on tanks decently) and the matriarch (Morph of 3. Skill in Deadric Summoning) is magicka based (best on healer and magicka damage dealers). But keep in mind that pets wont work in group content for distracting, still they are valuable, because they provide constant damage and are used on meta builds to maximize damage (Volatile Familiar, Tormentor and especially Atronach in Combination with Deadric Prey, which is a Morph of the second skill in Daedric Summoning).

Upgrade your gear. White gear is just meh, especially if it is some levels lower than your character. Green gear isnt great, too. Blue is ok. Purple gear is where it gets good and golden gear is best.

Have Food / Drinks active at all time. Dont horde them, the trash food / drinks you find at lower levels arent any useful. Best stat is Magicka. Second best is Health or Magicka Recovery depending on the content you are doing or what your build needs most. There is even food that boosts all 3 stats, like this: https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Recipe:+Witchmother's+Potent+Brew You could buy the recipe from guild traders if you have enough gold (the prices are different for every trader / guild).

Btw. when I mentioned a Morph explicitely then the said fits only to this morph and the other morph behaves differently.

Also you can easily respec (there are 2 shrines in vivic for example).
    Edited by KilianDermoth on January 24, 2022 6:24PM
  • NerfSeige
    NerfSeige
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bro, why did you necro this? Lol. Also, mag newbies should learn that you can spam wall for trash(if you can’t change skills and don’t have good aoe on your setup)
    Avid reader of wes’-pts-diary[RIP]

NerfAS and Shill ruins everything

Skinny-meta-fake, graded D, and can’t explain the law of diminishing marginal returns.

I won’t post that Wes, I’ll get [snipped] for the last time

Revert this patch - Audens, 2022
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So, aside from the real good points outlined here, sorcerer's also have real good ultimates. You've probably used the storm atronach a lot, it was the one I ran with all the way up until post-coldharbor, but give negate a shot. It's ability to lock down entire groups of enemies can be a life saver.
  • KilianDermoth
    KilianDermoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh my god, I didnt see the date :D.
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ... Neither did I...
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

We have closed this topic as it was originally created in September 2015. In many cases, it's better to create a new thread on a topic that you want to discuss as opposed to bumping one that is rather old.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.