Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

These specific AddOns are safe to use?

FenixEscarlata
FenixEscarlata
Soul Shriven
Hi everyone! I've read somewhere in the forum that most of ESOUI's AddOns were safe to use, but I wanted to ask for specific ones to know for sure. If any of these seem suspicious for you, could you tell me? I haven't installed any fearing I could screw something out.
  • Wizard's Wardrobe
  • PerfectPixel
  • Votan's Minimap
  • Combat Metrics
  • Bag Space Indicator
  • Urich's Skill Point Finder
  • Quest Map
  • ResearchTimer
  • HarvestMap
  • OdySupportIcons
  • Inventory Grid View

Thank you for your help! It's really appreciated.
Also, sorry if something sounds weird to you, I'm a Spanish speaker so my English is not perfect.
Edited by ZOS_Lunar on January 20, 2022 1:23PM
  • _Zathras_
    _Zathras_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use HarvestMap from your list. Works great for me. Just make sure to update HM once in a while when new Chapters are released.
    Edited by _Zathras_ on January 15, 2022 5:01PM
  • perfiction
    perfiction
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All addons are safe to use because addons can do only as much as ZOS allows them through the API. If ZOS finds any addon 'unsafe' (giving unfair advantage etc), they just modify the API to remove unwanted functionality.

Addons like HarvestMapData and TamrielTradeCenter could be considered gray area because they come with their own clients (.exe file for TTC, .bat script for HarvestMap) that communicate with external servers to sync sales/pin location data but it seems like ZOS doesn't mind that, otherwise they would kill those addons long time ago.
    Edited by perfiction on January 15, 2022 5:04PM
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what exaclty do you mean by "safe to use" ?

If you mean "can i get ban for it", then probably no. All ESO API functions that are available for use must be safe from getting
    ban.

If you mean "can my ESO crash while using X addon", then yes, it can crash. Though there is no statistics about that.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any addon that only has lua code, and uses API elements to render while the game is running is “safe”. If the addon isn’t updated as the game client changes it can throw UI errors while playing that can crash your game. This is uncommon, except for the weeks following a big patch with lots of UI changes. (And sometimes after a smaller patch where they don’t document an API change then say “whoops” after outcry over broken addons).

An addon that contains separate executables, or stores data outside of the game-created directories, has potential to be unsafe. Note - I say “potential” and not that these are inherently unsafe.

From your list, most are the first type I described. Perfectly safe though may be problematic after some patches, as long as you are diligent about keeping them updated.

Harvest Map is the only one you listed that exchanges data outside of the game environment. It uses a batch file to exchange data stored on a public server and overwrite your addon data file. It carries some risk, but I feel comfortable using it anyway. Why? Because it exchanges data only on demand and not passively, you have to take the step of launching the batch file. And because I’ve read the code and I’m comfortable(ish) with the destination being connected with and the type of data contained in the files.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If by safe you mean not having malware and such things, ESOUI is as safe as you can get for downloading game addons.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • FenixEscarlata
    FenixEscarlata
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for all your answers! I meant "safe" for being banned, yes, I didn't considered the other options and it's very useful to know about it. Then I'll be using those except for the Harvest Map, unless I really need it, and I'll be aware of updating them when needed.
    Thanks again for your advice :)
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your answers! I meant "safe" for being banned, yes, I didn't considered the other options and it's very useful to know about it. Then I'll be using those except for the Harvest Map, unless I really need it, and I'll be aware of updating them when needed.
    Harvest Map does not require the executable. And unlike TTC which also doesn't require an executable but is significantly hampered by not using it, Harvest Map works perfectly fine at tracking nodes you find for yourself.

I have used Harvest Map for a year and have never run the executable.
  • proprio.meb16_ESO
    proprio.meb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im using 3rd, 4th, 9th and 10th from your list since years without issues, and have friends running almost other three or four

harvest map batch is used if you want to share your data or get data from outside, its totally optional and cannot give problem... it just send its saved variables away or overwrite it, it does not interact directly with the game in any way.

There's still this legend that an addon can get you banned... there's no direct evidence about it nor anyone can point a specific addon.
    A case in which an addon did really trigger the anticheat system was addressed some time ago and acknowledged as a false positive (i.e. zos *apologized* about it, restored and compensated affected accounts) probably added to the myth.
    Install all the addons you find useful and dont worry too much about being banned...
    Edited by proprio.meb16_ESO on January 15, 2022 8:11PM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Safe from getting banned is not an problem for any known addon you can download with minion.
    As other say if they contain code ZoS don't like they changes it like changes to the auto setting green stars, or that addon who warned you about sneaking enemies trying to snipe you.

Now an addon who is private as in only used in a guild I would be aseptically to especially in PvP.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Safe from getting banned is not an problem for any known addon you can download with minion.
    As other say if they contain code ZoS don't like they changes it like changes to the auto setting green stars, or that addon who warned you about sneaking enemies trying to snipe you.

Now an addon who is private as in only used in a guild I would be aseptically to especially in PvP.

Even private addons can only use data that Zeni makes available in the API. It isn’t possible to use addons to do anything nefarious. Even the old Miat’s was using open API elements that the devs knowingly made available. When they found the negative impact, Zeni tweaked the API to stop providing those pre-combat messages and other data. That’s how they control and limit what addons can do. Please don’t vilify addons or players like this.

I suspect you’re talking about client-side cheats and exploits to modify gameplay. Those programs are still very real and used in both pvp and pve. They aren’t addons though, they are separately executable programs to modify the game file, and will absolutely get you banned if caught using one.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Wizard's Wardrobe
    • PerfectPixel
    • Votan's Minimap <--- I use this with no problems
    • Combat Metrics <--- I use this with no problems
    • Bag Space Indicator <---I use this with no problems
    • Urich's Skill Point Finder <---I use this with no problems
    • Quest Map
    • ResearchTimer
    • HarvestMap <---I use this with no problems
    • OdySupportIcons <---I use this with no problems
    • Inventory Grid View

As has been stated, addons will not get you banned and will not install a virus on your computer as long as you do not run any associated utilities outside of the game.
    Edited by Elsonso on January 18, 2022 2:09PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you stick to getting addons from either ESOUI or Minion you're safe. Everything that goes on there is vetted to make sure it is what it says it is and its allowed by ZOS.
    Reverb wrote: »
    zaria wrote: »

Even private addons can only use data that Zeni makes available in the API. It isn’t possible to use addons to do anything nefarious. Even the old Miat’s was using open API elements that the devs knowingly made available. When they found the negative impact, Zeni tweaked the API to stop providing those pre-combat messages and other data. That’s how they control and limit what addons can do. Please don’t vilify addons or players like this.

I suspect you’re talking about client-side cheats and exploits to modify gameplay. Those programs are still very real and used in both pvp and pve. They aren’t addons though, they are separately executable programs to modify the game file, and will absolutely get you banned if caught using one.

Some people will refer to those client-side cheats as addons though. I suspect some are doing it unknowingly - someone they trust has told them it's an addon and they don't know how to identify the differences between them and legitimate addons which use the API. But I also suspect some people do it deliberately, both to deflect suspicion if they want/need to mention it for any reason, and to lure in the first type of person to use it.

A few years ago I saw one for another game where someone had made up this whole elaborate story about how the developer of this "totally safe and harmless mod" was the poor victim of a conspiracy by the entire rest of the modding community, who had banned it from all the mod sharing sites because it was so amazingly awesome and useful that they were jealous and afraid it would make all their mods look bad by comparison...and totally nothing at all to do with the fact that the entire thing was a trojan horse for a key logger to steal data from people's PCs. The creative writing involved was almost more impressive than the mod, the trojan and the key logger put together.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    If you stick to getting addons from either ESOUI or Minion you're safe. Everything that goes on there is vetted to make sure it is what it says it is and its allowed by ZOS.

Vetted? Really? That is a surprise. Who is doing this work?
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone! I've read somewhere in the forum that most of ESOUI's AddOns were safe to use, but I wanted to ask for specific ones to know for sure. If any of these seem suspicious for you, could you tell me? I haven't installed any fearing I could screw something out.
    • Wizard's Wardrobe
    • PerfectPixel
    • Votan's Minimap
    • Combat Metrics
    • Bag Space Indicator
    • Quest Map
    • ResearchTimer
    • HarvestMap
    • OdySupportIcons
    • Inventory Grid View
    u cant get banned from any addon from esoui cause they all use the api - if they have more functions than intended zos just updates there api and the addon wont work anylonger but u dont need to fear anything
    Edited by KhajiitLivesMatter on January 18, 2022 4:43PM
  • FenixEscarlata
    FenixEscarlata
    Soul Shriven
    I installed the Harvest Map without the database and I found it really useful. So if I use the .bat database obtained from the plugin I can be banned or it is allowed?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I installed the Harvest Map without the database and I found it really useful. So if I use the .bat database obtained from the plugin I can be banned or it is allowed?

You will not get banned. That is merely a database of nodes that other players have found.
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    harvestmap bat file is fine,without it,you won't see newer nodes others find.As for TTC,I use website data download/ipload daily,insted of exe,cause exe don't update it right all the time,if you swap servers between NA and EU.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only danger is addiction. Be sure to update them regularly or glitches can happen.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem is that past "ban" notices were not clear about addons. They are "3rd party code" after all!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Danikat wrote: »

Vetted? Really? That is a surprise. Who is doing this work?

I believe these people here: https://esoui.com/forums/showgroups.php?

Before you upload an addon to the site/ minion it is not immediately available to anyone, and no one can download the files.

These files are verified by one of the moderators and disallowed if the file is malicious.

The rules of esoui/ minion also state
    Executable files are not allowed, except for some very specific cases. We test and decompile all executable files that are submitted. In some cases we may ask for the source. This processes could take awhile.

However, any code that the game runs (i.e. addon lua files) are not ran independently, the game client interprets each and every line and chooses to run it or not. If the line reads SetPlayerGold(1000000) the game will simply not run that line of code, the game chooses how to handle each and every single line.
    Edited by CyberOnEso on January 18, 2022 9:17PM
    @CyberOnEso PC | EU - Jack of all Trades - Armory Style Manager Planesbreaker | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If your going to run a lot of add on's just make sure to check they are all compatible with one another, in some cases one add on will prevent another from functioning. The add on's page in ESOUI should detail what add on's are needed to be installed for it to work and what conflicts with it.
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of your list I use Votan's Minimap, Combat Metrics, Bag Space Indicator and HarvestMap and all have worked well for me.

Only thing I'd caution is installing\enabling them all at once. Do individually and then test in-game (if you've the patience haha), or in small batches.
    That way if your client does start crashing or other weirdness occurs you'll be able to narrow down the offending add-on easier.

Remember to check for updates every so often, or especially after any major content or version update.
    Also not a bad idea to read the change logs the add-on authors include in the add-on description window.
    If you have problems occur right after updating a few add-ons, sometimes what the author mentions in the log may give you a clue to finding out which add-on is causing undesirable weirdness.
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are legal addons, and I'm just adding this bug here since many people might have an opportunity to see if it matches an issue they might be having.

I've been using Azurah, Fyrakin's Harvest Map, and Shini's Mini Map since soon after launch and only just ran into an issue a few weeks ago.

SOME node icons show up as 'generic' no matter how many times I farm an area. It doesn't matter if it's base game or any DLC.

The only way I found to solve it so far was to disable Azurah.

I'd already tried uninstall/reinstall along with deleting saved variables. All installs have always been handled through Minion, fwiw.

I mention it here only because I haven't seen anyone else post anything about it on any forum yet.
    Edited by twev on January 19, 2022 10:47PM
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • proprio.meb16_ESO
    proprio.meb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    twev wrote: »
    I mention it here only because I haven't seen anyone else post anything about it on any forum yet.

You could address it on esoui chat page of the specific addon (harvest map and/or azurah) and maybe you could find people with a similar problem and more inclined to help you... it's not too unusual to discuss addon issues here in the general discussion from time to time, but it's definitely not belonging here.

Make also sure everything is up to date (i dont use minion, i suppose it keeps everything updated by itself, but better check).
    Edited by proprio.meb16_ESO on January 20, 2022 11:18AM
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    twev wrote: »

You could address it on esoui chat page of the specific addon (harvest map and/or azurah) and maybe you could find people with a similar problem and more inclined to help you... it's not too unusual to discuss addon issues here on eso forum from time to time, but it's definitely not belonging here.

Make also sure everything is up to date (i dont use minion, i suppose it keeps everything updated by itself, but better check).

There is also a dedicate subforum for these matters:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/add-ons-and-ui-mods
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had no issues using combat metrics and harvest map so far.
  • M0R_Gaming
    M0R_Gaming
    ✭✭✭
    • Wizard's Wardrobe
    • PerfectPixel
    • Votan's Minimap
    • Combat Metrics
    • Bag Space Indicator
    • Quest Map
    • ResearchTimer
    • HarvestMap
    • OdySupportIcons
    • Inventory Grid View

Thank you for your help! It's really appreciated.
    Also, sorry if something sounds weird to you, I'm a Spanish speaker so my English is not perfect.

As everyone mentioned above, ya, you will not get banned for using these addons. I personally use most of them (I don't use perfect pixel, didn't really like it). The exe's are what is slightly sketchy, but in most cases, they are fine. I still prefer to just download the TTC data straight from their website instead of using their exe, simply because that way I can automate it to run every time I open the game.

On a side note, I'd recommend looking at GridList instead of Inventory Grid View - I forget what originally made me make the switch, but I like GridList better now.
    • PC/NA - PvP/PvE AD Magsorc main
    • Former Emp, All HMs but DSR
    My addons
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @FenixEscarlata
    All of the addons at www.esoui.com are safe to use! They are checked before upload against virus etc.
    If you fear they could harm your items you need to read their descriptions and addon comments, as the comments often provide you info about current bugs or shortcomings of other users.

If addons are in the outdated and discontinued section at esoui: DO NOT use them anymore and search for replacements.
    e.g. Inventory Grid View is outdated and throws error messages and should be replaced by "Grid List", which is mentioned in the addon comments multiple times already.

Beside that addons could always have a bug that could throw any error message etc. But they won't auto destroy your items or something like this :-) So they should be safe to use IF you read how they work and setup them in their settings menu properly according to your use-case (if your use-case is supported the way you'd like it to work).

There is no general "yeah, it's great for you!" answer, just an "It's safe to use in terms of virus, malware, etc."
    Edited by Baertram on January 25, 2022 3:54PM