The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Darks Shades whirlwind attacks every 4 seconds instead of every 2 seconds like the tooltip states

Daemonai
Daemonai
✭✭✭✭
Title. Perhaps I'm reading the tooltip wrong but it seems to imply that Dark Shades should be doing the whirl attack every 2 seconds:

"Summon a shade version of yourself to attack an enemy and fight at your side for 18 seconds. The shade slashes at an enemy, dealing 830 Magic Damage and occasionally whirlwinds all enemies around it, dealing 830 Magic Damage once every 2 seconds. The shade's attacks inflict Minor Maim, reducing the enemy's damage done by 5% for 4 seconds. This ability scales with your highest offensive stats."
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I believe it means when the shade does the whirlwind, the ability is like a DoT with a couple of ticks of 830 damage each.

Not that it spins using that move every 2 seconds.
    PC NA
  • Daemonai
    Daemonai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »
    I believe it means when the shade does the whirlwind, the ability is like a DoT with a couple of ticks of 830 damage each.

Not that it spins using that move every 2 seconds.

The ability doesn't work like that though. It is one instance of AOE damage every 4 secs. There is no DoT.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i believe the every 2 seconds is referencing the frequency of its normal attacks as most pets usually have an attack frequency of 2 seconds, but they do a "special" attack after so many normal ones (clannfear has the tail whip in place of its normal bite attack, maw does the fire breath instead of the swipes for example), in the shade case its basic attacks hit 1 enemy for 830 magic dmg (based on your example), and periodically it does the whirlwind for 830 dmg

most of these pets usually use their "special" attack roughly every 2-3 "light" attacks, so the whirlwind is in the most basic sense a skill on a cooldown that replaces the regular attack when it is off cooldown (im kind of guessing at this since i dont know for certain, but this is what i would bet is happening)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Daemonai
    Daemonai
    ✭✭✭✭
    i believe the every 2 seconds is referencing the frequency of its normal attacks as most pets usually have an attack frequency of 2 seconds, but they do a "special" attack after so many normal ones (clannfear has the tail whip in place of its normal bite attack, maw does the fire breath instead of the swipes for example), in the shade case its basic attacks hit 1 enemy for 830 magic dmg (based on your example), and periodically it does the whirlwind for 830 dmg

most of these pets usually use their "special" attack roughly every 2-3 "light" attacks, so the whirlwind is in the most basic sense a skill on a cooldown that replaces the regular attack when it is off cooldown (im kind of guessing at this since i dont know for certain, but this is what i would bet is happening)

This could certainly be true however considering that Necromancer's Skeletal Arcanist does its AOE attack every 2 seconds, I see no reason why Dark Shades whirlwind shouldn't also occur every 2 seconds. Volatile Familiar also pulses its AOE attack every 2 seconds.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daemonai wrote: »

This could certainly be true however considering that Necromancer's Skeletal Arcanist does its AOE attack every 2 seconds, I see no reason why Dark Shades whirlwind shouldn't also occur every 2 seconds. Volatile Familiar also pulses its AOE attack every 2 seconds.

those cases fall under slightly different situations though

the arcanist only has that 1 attack (which i personally feel is very lackluster)

the familiars aoe is not technically its own attack, that is essentially a skill you are casting which is focused around the pet but the pet itself does not cast that skill on its own, it only has its 1 basic attack normally

i dont disagree that the shade would be more useful if it used the whirlwind more often though (since it no longer spawns 2 shades for that morph)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014