Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Name Change Cost! 2500 Crowns = $20

j_s_lemasterb14_ESO
I know this can't/wont be the first time mentioned but how in the world is 2500 crowns justified.

The cost of WoW name change token is $10, feels high enough to not change my name on a whim but not high enough to really care about it if I truly want to change it.

ESO, $20. For a name change. Its ridiculous, idiotic & counter active. Not only do I not want to spend $20 for something I actually do want, but now I don't want the other things I know I would've bought with the extra crowns on a whim.

I'm not stupid, I know I don't need anything from the store, but I wanted to change my characters name, get the face & body markings & the greymoor pack for an outfit (I believe that's what it was). As a PS4 player transitioning to PC, everything I had is gone. Collectors editions, outfits, mounts, absolutely everything I bought. Of course they was able to transfer the crowns over though, shocker.

I've played since the beta & have spent at least a grand on crowns alone, not including subscription. I love the game & honestly believe the game deserves support. Guess i'd just never noticed or wanted a name change [snip]. (Along with a purchase of the merchant a while back that can't even repair)

Vent over.

[edited for bashing]
Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 14, 2022 2:40PM
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In b4 "but if you buy the 21k crown pack while 60% off it's a bargain"....
    Edited by Chilly-McFreeze on January 13, 2022 3:18PM
  • Jusey1
    Jusey1
    ✭✭✭✭
    [snip] It's not the worse I have seen in an MMO though (DDO has that one in the bag) [snip], however nothing will be done to change it since ZOS already stated that they see the Crown Store as "Optional, it's only there for your convenience. You don't have to buy it.", which can be true but only to a degree since there are plenty of things that are locked behind the Crown Store...

Nothing we can do about it since as long as ZOS makes money from it, they are going to keep the Crown Store as it is.

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 14, 2022 2:38PM
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I haven't checked WoW prices lately but aren't all major MMOs like 15-30$ USD to change name?

Pretty sure this is normal.
    PC NA
  • j_s_lemasterb14_ESO
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    I haven't checked WoW prices lately but aren't all major MMOs like 15-30$ USD to change name?

It's $10 in WoW, no need to check. I literally said it & god no. $30? No. no. It isn't normal.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »

It's $10 in WoW, no need to check. I literally said it & god no. $30? No. no. It isn't normal.

Sorry about that I did not read the post. You caught me. Yeah $10 or even $5 would be much better.
    PC NA
  • JJOtterBear
    JJOtterBear
    ✭✭✭✭
    yeah all the service tokens are absurdly, disgustingly price gouged.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    WoW is also a subscription-required game. You can't really compare cash shop prices against a game that, essentially, has a cover charge. Your monthly subscription is subsidizing the cash shop in WoW. ESO+ subsidizes cash shop, too, albeit indirectly. The monthly crowns essentially make cash shop cheaper for subscribers.

WoW = $15 subscription + $10 name change = $25
    ESO- = $0 subscription + 2500 name change = ~$20
    ESO+ = $15 subscription + 2500 crowns name change - 1650 monthly crown = ~$22

I realize it gets more complicated if you change name multiple times per month, or spend your 1650 crowns on a pet or a costume before name change, etc. But for the average player, the outlay is gonna be roughly equal. By design, of course. There is a sweet spot developers are looking for in terms of average player monthly spending, and they offer you multiple paths to get there, but are looking to get you to the same $$$$ no matter which path you take.
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know this can't/wont be the first time mentioned but how in the world is 2500 crowns justified.

The cost of WoW name change token is $10, feels high enough to not change my name on a whim but not high enough to really care about it if I truly want to change it.

ESO, $20. For a name change. Its ridiculous, idiotic & counter active. Not only do I not want to spend $20 for something I actually do want, but now I don't want the other things I know I would've bought with the extra crowns on a whim.

I'm not stupid, I know I don't need anything from the store, but I wanted to change my characters name, get the face & body markings & the greymoor pack for an outfit (I believe that's what it was). As a PS4 player transitioning to PC, everything I had is gone. Collectors editions, outfits, mounts, absolutely everything I bought. Of course they was able to transfer the crowns over though, shocker.

I've played since the beta & have spent at least a grand on crowns alone, not including subscription. I love the game & honestly believe the game deserves support. Guess i'd just never noticed or wanted a name change [snip]. (Along with a purchase of the merchant a while back that can't even repair)

Vent over.

[edited for bashing]

repairing at npc is waste of money anyway
    and if u are smart than ubuy the bundle with race and name change for 3500
    if its on sale its 3000

or the alliance bundle i think there was one in it to and its even cheaper

and if thats no enought just play the game and buy it with gold
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    WoW is also a subscription-required game. You can't really compare cash shop prices against a game that, essentially, has a cover charge. Your monthly subscription is subsidizing the cash shop in WoW. ESO+ subsidizes cash shop, too, albeit indirectly. The monthly crowns essentially make cash shop cheaper for subscribers.

WoW = $15 subscription + $10 name change = $25
    ESO- = $0 subscription + 2500 name change = ~$20
    ESO+ = $15 subscription + 2500 crowns name change - 1650 monthly crown = ~$22

I realize it gets more complicated if you change name multiple times per month, or spend your 1650 crowns on a pet or a costume before name change, etc. But for the average player, the outlay is gonna be roughly equal. By design, of course. There is a sweet spot developers are looking for in terms of average player monthly spending, and they offer you multiple paths to get there, but are looking to get you to the same $$$$ no matter which path you take.

ESO- sounds intersting - is that a mode where i get debuffs and less access to the game but get paid for it ? xd