Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is It Possible To Move The Live Folder to Another Drive?

Adonexus
Adonexus
✭✭
Hello, I would like to have all my ESO files on my second drive ( drive D: ) which I use for my games. Is there a way that I can move the live folder from my documents to my D: drive?
PC NA
  • Adonexus
    Adonexus
    ✭✭
    Sorry, my drive name was turned into an emoji. The second drive, where I would like my files to be in the D drive
    PC NA
  • M0R_Gaming
    M0R_Gaming
    ✭✭✭
    lol

As far as I know, theres not a direct setting you can change. However, you might be able to use a symlink maybe?
    Open up command prompt, and then you should be able to use the following command to create a symlink (like a shortcut connecting 2 locations)
    mklink /D LinkName TargetFolder

or if that doesn't work
    mklink /J LinkName TargetFolder

For example:
    mklink /J "C:\Users\Name\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online" "D:\ESOFolderMovedFromDocuments"

(disclaimer: I don't actually know if this will work, backup your eso folder before trying it)
    Edited by M0R_Gaming on January 13, 2022 8:56PM
    • PC/NA - PvP/PvE AD Magsorc main
    • Former Emp, All HMs but DSR
    My addons
  • Adonexus
    Adonexus
    ✭✭
    M0R_Gaming wrote: »
    lol

As far as I know, theres not a direct setting you can change. However, you might be able to use a symlink maybe?
    Open up command prompt, and then you should be able to use the following command to create a symlink (like a shortcut connecting 2 locations)

or if that doesn't work

For example:
    mklink /J "C:\Users\Name\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online" "D:\ESOFolderMovedFromDocuments"

(disclaimer: I don't actually know if this will work, backup your eso folder before trying it)

I tried using this mklink /D "C:\Users\gsoto\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live" "D:\ESO Live Folder"

I first tried with the live folder still in its original location and cmd said it couldnt create a folder that already exists

I then tried removing the live folder and re enterind the line above. Cmd said it couldnt find the address.

What am I doing wrong?
    PC NA
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE may have a suggestion.
  • M0R_Gaming
    M0R_Gaming
    ✭✭✭
    Adonexus wrote: »
    M0R_Gaming wrote: »
    lol

or if that doesn't work

For example:

I tried using this mklink /D "C:\Users\gsoto\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live" "D:\ESO Live Folder"

I first tried with the live folder still in its original location and cmd said it couldnt create a folder that already exists

I then tried removing the live folder and re enterind the line above. Cmd said it couldnt find the address.

What am I doing wrong?

Ya idk lol. Maybe try /J instead of /D? If that doesn't work, then ya, I'm out of ideas. ZOS_BillE might be able to help you more

Edit: I just tried it with a USB drive, and it worked for me (didn't launch the game, but it worked for linking): The exact command I used was
    mklink /D "C:\Users\[Name]\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live" "D:\ESO Live Folder\"

This successfully created a folder named live in my eso folder which linked to my copied folder. Was everything spelt correctly?
    Edited by M0R_Gaming on January 13, 2022 11:02PM
    • PC/NA - PvP/PvE AD Magsorc main
    • Former Emp, All HMs but DSR
    My addons
  • Adonexus
    Adonexus
    ✭✭
    I got it working. Thank you all!
    PC NA
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭
    As the live folder is in your documents folder of windows you might also just change the documents folder of your windows user to another drive then and it will move with it.

old e.g c:\users\your windows user name\documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\
    new after you changed your documents folder to d: (I think you can right click it at the file explorer navigation panel at the left -> properties and change the folder there):
    d:\documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\