The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Effects on companions?

Snamyap
Snamyap
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Is there a list for which effects affect companions? When casting skills like Molten Weapons or Frost Cloak I see no visual effects on my companions. And since there is no way to actually check my companions' stats I have no way to see what works and what doesn't.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to know as well. Spell Power Cure gives both my companion and my bear purple arms (the visual effect for the buff) but I'm not sure they are actually getting the buff. Well, it's actually purple paws on the bear. ;)
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind its pointless to buff them with Minor/Major Force when their base critical strike is 0% without any Focused gear equipped, so buffing them with 20% more critical damage of zero chance to crit is still zero.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd like to know as well. Spell Power Cure gives both my companion and my bear purple arms (the visual effect for the buff) but I'm not sure they are actually getting the buff. Well, it's actually purple paws on the bear. ;)

Do they even work with spell/weapon damage? No idea.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »

Do they even work with spell/weapon damage? No idea.

i mean it couldnt be any more "in the dark" than sets that do -weapon/spell dmg (vykosa for example)

do sets like that even affect NPCs? lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like none of us know. This would be a lovely time for a nice game rep to step in and provide their insight. ;)
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It probably has zero effect, honestly. You can actually proc sets like spc and symphony of blades on npcs; merchants, for example.
  • Wandering_Immigrant
    Wandering_Immigrant
    ✭✭✭✭
    For offensive buffs you can go into your companion's ability bar menu and look at their damage tooltip. If the damage increases after casting the buff then they are being affected by it.

I haven't tested it with a lot of buffs, but for example SPC does raise their damage tooltip. Combat Prayer does not.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For offensive buffs you can go into your companion's ability bar menu and look at their damage tooltip. If the damage increases after casting the buff then they are being affected by it.

I haven't tested it with a lot of buffs, but for example SPC does raise their damage tooltip. Combat Prayer does not.

I hate to tell you this, but its reflecting from your weapon/spell damage stats not their own. Look at their numbers, cast a buff that provides both Major Brutality/Sorcery only to you, then look at their numbers again you'll see the values go up on companion's skill damage and healing. This does not mean they are getting a buff from your Major Brutality/Sorcery, their stat sheets are just displaying based on your numbers, the damage they do is much lower and not actually changing.
  • Wandering_Immigrant
    Wandering_Immigrant
    ✭✭✭✭

I hate to tell you this, but its reflecting from your weapon/spell damage stats not their own. Look at their numbers, cast a buff that provides both Major Brutality/Sorcery only to you, then look at their numbers again you'll see the values go up on companion's skill damage and healing. This does not mean they are getting a buff from your Major Brutality/Sorcery, their stat sheets are just displaying based on your numbers, the damage they do is much lower and not actually changing.

This doesn't make sense. When I cast combat Prayer on my companion I'm also casting it on myself, so combat Prayer would also raise their damage like SPC does if this were the case, but as I said it doesn't.

Companion damage doesn't scale off your own stats the way pet damage does. This is easy to see if you play multiple characters. My Bastion's tooltips stay the same whether I'm on my PvE tank or one of my offensively built PvP characters.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Damage on Mirri's skills is the same with and without major brutality on my character.
    Edit: using Molten Armaments (dk group major brutality/sorcery) does boost Mirri's skill damage despite not showing the flames on her weapons.
    Edited by Snamyap on December 31, 2021 7:07AM
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way to reliably test them is to go somewhere with a lot mobs in one area, like a crowded room in a delve, then order the companion to attack each one with and without buffs cast on them and compare the numbers. I would pick a delve that isn't on the daily undaunted rotation with human mobs, so that you get all the respawns to work with.
  • Jusey1
    Jusey1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Base on my testings, it seems like companions have a personal damage number. They don't use weapon or spell damage like the player does. So any buff that has an effect on weapon/spell damage specifically shouldn't work on them, but a damage buff in general that applies to any damage should work on them (such as Empower being a flat buff to light attacks).
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »
    Is there a list for which effects affect companions? When casting skills like Molten Weapons or Frost Cloak I see no visual effects on my companions. And since there is no way to actually check my companions' stats I have no way to see what works and what doesn't.

Good question.

Can I add
    Did someone test whether the Frost Cloak of the Warden gives the companions also the Major Resolve buff ?

"I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU