Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Bowplar with DW 2h or Resto staff?

Valden83
Valden83
Currently I am level 7 on a DW templar planning to go with Bow as well, but after reading up on forums, I am rethinking my choice and considering rerolling.

My initial plan was to go bow on bar one with ranged high damage attacks, with a second bar with DW for sustain and aoe. Part of me feels this may be a bit redundant, and not as effective as just staying fully ranged since the Templar has so many utility and cc abilities at its disposal.

I am now considering going bow templar with resto staff as my secondary, for sustain and the possible heals later on. Also considering doing 2h instead of DW for a bit more burst and a more "joust" like playstyle (DW seems to penalize hit and run more than 2h). Resto staff also really seems to benefit with its mana regen.

Any bow templars with 2h or DW able to weigh in? Resto bowplars?

Thanks all! :)
  • Ker.Rakb16_ESO
    Ker.Rakb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Resto staff is great for soloing due to the 10% damage bonus to all abilities and strong HoTs while still working fine with stamina builds. Don't bother trying become a group healer unless you go fully into magicka though.
    Edited by Ker.Rakb16_ESO on April 28, 2014 12:37AM
  • Valden83
    Valden83
    anyone else have any comments? Any tips are appreciated.
  • Krovax
    Krovax
    I did the Bowplar routine and added Restoration on second bar for heals in groups dungeons. I turned VR1 yesterday, so it is a viable spec. I am reading however, that in VR country, this might not be the case anymore, but to me this is just hearsay until I've experienced it first hand. Towards the end I found myself to be quite squishy in some situations and more often than not mana deprived. I do not try out much, so my standard routine is hardly optimal for all situations, thus the squishieness. I tried 2h at 30ish or so but dropped it again, too slow for my liking and after playing ranged so long didn't feel right. I might need to reconsider adding a melee skill now though.

Bowplar makes some fights ridiculously easy, especially if you can knockback/root the mob and it needs to be in melee range. Takes forever but you don't need to collect any scratches on you armor. Some other fights are not so good, especially if you have many ranged mobs and they spread out. In those case I just run into the pack and spam my shards. I found that my bow shooting was underpowered dps wise on a regular basis compared to other weapons, but not as bad to as to drop it, as you can kite some encounters that are tough to melee otherwise.

I've seen other classes do better, but I've also seen some only being successful because I added a heal onto their side of the scale.

To sum it up, you can do bowplar and restoration up to veteran ranks and be fine. I did it and I consider myself to be a lazy and mediocre player. If it works well enough in 85% of the cases, I don't even bother changing routines. ;)
  • disexistencenub19_ESO
    I just started this myself. Will be interesting to see if it can hold up. I find myself running out of magicka at the early stages though, and I probably should have gone with a high elf over a wood elf, but I can't stand them. I guess it's better for a more stealthy bow approach, we shall see.

I refer to my build as a Templarcher though, as Bowplar sounds like a mechanical tool of some sort. =P