The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Lag is a bandwidth issue, not a server issue

• Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Idinuse wrote: »
    The thing is that I play other MMO games with mostly zero lag. On the same hardware and on the same internet connection. Also, looking at the traffic going back and forth during gameplay, it's in the hundreds of bytes, not megabytes, maybe some Kb at times. To me it suggests on server calculation and net code issues.

It is not the same internet connection. There are different distances, and probably even different service providers involved.

I like to describe it as driving to the grocery store. We don't drive right out of our driveway and into the store parking lot. There are a lot of things between the two. The only thing we control is our driveway, where we start and end our trip. The only thing the grocery store controls is their parking lot. The in-between has traffic, which can vary by time of day, road construction, stoplights, and even poor quality roads.

The internet connection isn't exactly like driving to the grocery store, but it shares many similarities. ZOS can control how much traffic is transferred and how their servers handle that traffic. They can control ESO bandwidth limits in and out of the data center they use. They can control what they use for DDoS protection. Outside of that, they are pretty much at the mercy of the global internet infrastructure, which is shared by every other person using the internet. There are a host of things that can happen to traffic as it travels back and forth.

There will always be lag and latency associated with that. It is a given. The only variables are "how much" and "how bad".

As for what the solution to Cyrodiil is, we will find that out when they finally start talking about what they are doing outside of Lambert's stream. Until then, it is a puzzle being built from various pieces dropped during the stream. Right now, the puzzle is starting to look like "database design" issues, but Lambert is not technical on the level where this is being fixed and may be using words "wrong", or even crossing subjects by accident.

The only thing we do know, at this point, is that it is not fixed by hardware (CPU).

Sure could be so. Then again, I see people from every corner of the world, including NA and close to the Frankfurt server, having lag issues with ESO. Not so much with other games. No, there's no online game without lag at all, that is not an issue here. The issue is why ESO presents so many users with a far worse lag experience than other games do. Now, if you want to blame internet, sure go ahead. So when our equipment can't be blamed for the ESO lag, the world's ISPs and worldwide fiber or copper lines are.

What I really think, is when people with 60-80ms ping experience severe lag, like skills not firing, it's an issue somewhere else than just the traffic over internet connections and cables.
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing is that I play other MMO games with mostly zero lag. On the same hardware and on the same internet connection. Also, looking at the traffic going back and forth during gameplay, it's in the hundreds of bytes, not megabytes, maybe some Kb at times. To me it suggests on server calculation and net code issues.

It is not the same internet connection. There are different distances, and probably even different service providers involved.

I like to describe it as driving to the grocery store. We don't drive right out of our driveway and into the store parking lot. There are a lot of things between the two. The only thing we control is our driveway, where we start and end our trip. The only thing the grocery store controls is their parking lot. The in-between has traffic, which can vary by time of day, road construction, stoplights, and even poor quality roads.

The internet connection isn't exactly like driving to the grocery store, but it shares many similarities. ZOS can control how much traffic is transferred and how their servers handle that traffic. They can control ESO bandwidth limits in and out of the data center they use. They can control what they use for DDoS protection. Outside of that, they are pretty much at the mercy of the global internet infrastructure, which is shared by every other person using the internet. There are a host of things that can happen to traffic as it travels back and forth.

There will always be lag and latency associated with that. It is a given. The only variables are "how much" and "how bad".

As for what the solution to Cyrodiil is, we will find that out when they finally start talking about what they are doing outside of Lambert's stream. Until then, it is a puzzle being built from various pieces dropped during the stream. Right now, the puzzle is starting to look like "database design" issues, but Lambert is not technical on the level where this is being fixed and may be using words "wrong", or even crossing subjects by accident.

The only thing we do know, at this point, is that it is not fixed by hardware (CPU).

Sure could be so. Then again, I see people from every corner of the world, including NA and close to the Frankfurt server, having lag issues with ESO. Not so much with other games. No, there's no online game without lag at all, that is not an issue here. The issue is why ESO presents so many users with a far worse lag experience than other games do. Now, if you want to blame internet, sure go ahead. So when our equipment can't be blamed for the ESO lag, the world's ISPs and worldwide fiber or copper lines are.

What I really think, is when people with 60-80ms ping experience severe lag, like skills not firing, it's an issue somewhere else than just the traffic over internet connections and cables.

It is worth while to remember that Cyrodiil performance has never been about one thing. There have been multiple reasons for performance problems for years now. I think that will still be the case, even after whatever it is that ZOS is working on is completed.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is worth while to remember that Cyrodiil performance has never been about one thing. There have been multiple reasons for performance problems for years now. I think that will still be the case, even after whatever it is that ZOS is working on is completed.

That's true!
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • EmperorIl
    EmperorIl
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's really making me start to lose patience with this game and I am about to take my money elsewhere. I am tired of it.
  • EmperorIl
    EmperorIl
    ✭✭✭✭
    if i got money for every time i saw the phrase... i only get lag on this game..... i'd have a lot of money.

if i got money for every time i saw the phrase... i don't get lag on any other game..... i'd have a lot more money.

You hear it a lot because it's freaking fact.