The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What are your views with ESO questing?

• Etori
    Etori
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoy the main quests through the mainlands. I think if you follow them in order it stays pretty linear. I don't bother much with any of the normal "get x amount of y" type ones since they are just a time killer, and add nothing to my enjoyment.

So far I've completed 2 of the 3 faction main quests. Looking forward to doing EP next. Should get me CP160 by the end of it all.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like ESO's stories in so much as I accept that the stories as written aren't personalized to my characters and that the quests themselves are bound to the medium of a video game in terms of gameplay.

My imagination takes care of the rest.

I have a couple of specific gripes though, that only ZOS can fix because it's all stuff that has to change at the script stage.

1. Someone needs to read through the script with major TES roleplaying archetypes and their lore in mind.

Example: Blackwood's plot forced Dark Brotherhood players to break the tenets by revealing the location of a Sanctuary to the authorities, and didn't acknowledge it. Either the writers needed a different method to get our characters to the Sanctuary or, if DB members did betray the Sanctuary, we should have faced the Wrath of Sithis for our actions in accordance with lore from Oblivion and ESO's own Dark Brotherhood DLC. That the writers did neither showed a serious lack of knowledge or lack of respect for Dark Brotherhood lore. Someone should have caught that long before the script hit the point of no return.

2. Someone needs to read through the script for areas where the player needs multiple dialogue options to express their own opinion.

Example: in Blackwood, a character asks us, "Why does one who abhors Mehrunes Dagon care what happens to his Ambitions?" Unfortunately, since we have only one option, we are forced to say what the writer thinks our reason should be. When it's a matter of opinion that wouldn't change any plot events, we should be given options! Yes, it's impossible to satisfy everyone with three options, but it's a lot better than shoehorning everyone into the only answer that the writer deems acceptable.

Personal Pet Peeve:
    Relying on height, invisible walls, and chest-high barriers to protect the Big Bad during monologues and plot moments. I realize that ESO doesn't do "cutscenes" and so needs ways to keep the player from interrupting the villain mid-sentence. But relying on gameplay convention to prevent us from attacking someone who's standing on a head-high wall is dreadfully unsatisfying. (Mind you, cutscenes wouldn't solve this because writers have a tendency towards "Cutscene Incompetence" when they need their villain to pontificate.)

Example: Zumog Phoom, Rada al-Saran, and Blackwood's Villain all have several monologue moments when they are protected because they are too high for my character to reach with her...bow or inferno staff. No, writers. Just no. Blackwood's Villain was particularly egregious, since multiple times he's completely protected because he's standing on a wall that's only head-high on my character. She should easily be able to target him with ranged weapons or skills - and if he were an enemy player in Cyrodiil, she'd be able to.

Overall, the storytelling is good enough that I keep paying for it, and rough-edged enough that I keep finding ways that these year-long stories could be improved.
  • Tesman85
    Tesman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    Saber91 wrote: »
    I actually think this is a very well thought out answer that isn’t so much of a ‘I find it boring etc’ like some have put here and you’ve described your issues which some have issue with but worded in a constructive way and I thank you for that. For me currently I have had no issue with the writing per say I have noticed the repetition and ‘dumb player character’ questions but generally it’s not been invasive to my immersion. I do agree they need to look at difficulty somewhat before next chapter or something because I imagine with the influx of players from the wow exodus a lot more people will see the ease. I mean to be honest with 14 you still get moments of side quest mobs or characters being a cake walk, it’s not entirely avoidable they just need to have more variables or switches on their scaling formula I think.

I personally like what you said about Morrowind, it’s my favourite of the franchise and what got me into the franchise. I felt the writing was really well done but above al the lack of handholding. Reading journals finding landmarks etc it amplified the experience I think oblivion and Skyrim lost that along the way. ESO suffers from it to but funnily enough I could imagine by the time ES6 comes out that ESO might be more an Elder scrolls game than ES6 will be with the direction they’ve been going with each instalment.

Well, I dislike the something is either super awesome or total rubbish mindset that is too prevalent in internet, so I'm trying to keep balanced in my critiques. I've also seen too much true trash writing, and ESO is very far above of that. If they respected the player's intelligence more, ESO's writing could actually really shine. But well, it's the 2020s and games must appeal to the lowest common denominator for profits, so it is what it is.

As for Morrowind, it truly is an unique game writing-wise. That game has layers upon layers of meanings, and the player can choose the exact depth he/she wants to dive into them. It can be played as a relatively normal open world action-adventure RPG with some unique character mechanics and leave it at that. Or, one can really delve into the in-game books, dialogue options and other lore and find a quite heavy-duty metaphysical apparatus (and that marvelously self-ironically suited to the fact that it's a game world, too!). Yes, Morrowind didn't hold the player's hand even in that respect and that was what made the game so great. That game made a TES fan out of me, too. It's a work of art and I wish more games adapted the way Morrowind handled the lore and dialogue depth aspect.

I have to agree regarding the TES6. I didn't actually mind too much the mechanics streamlining in Skyrim, but any more and the game ceases to be an RPG. I'll have to take a good hard look before purchasing, when the game finally comes out.

I like ESO's stories in so much as I accept that the stories as written aren't personalized to my characters and that the quests themselves are bound to the medium of a video game in terms of gameplay.

My imagination takes care of the rest.

Overall, the storytelling is good enough that I keep paying for it, and rough-edged enough that I keep finding ways that these year-long stories could be improved.

Heh, yeah, how many times our characters find themselves eavesdropping villains in a position from where they could shoot one well-placed arrow and end the whole plot? Yet they do nothing. And it's funny too how they can't climb a knee-high fence. Even Daggerfall had climbing! The writers and designers really should invent new tricks for exposition. But maybe one shouldn't expect that decades-old conventions will disappear that easily. I agree wholly with your last sentence.

Edited by Tesman85 on January 1, 2022 5:41PM
  • Rontabs77
    Rontabs77
    ✭✭✭
    Questing was awesome, specially when I was new to the game and was trying to acquire Caldwell's silver and gold. Kept me entertained for a long time.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it would be nice for ZOS to spend a little bit more time on the quest writing, not so much it detracts from other issues like performance and stability, but enough to make the quests a bit more interesting. I'm currently in the middle of replaying ES5: Skyrim, and just finished the epic-in-scale quest "Touching the Sky" from its Dawnguard DLC - now *that's* a quest! :)
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • PrimusTiberius
    PrimusTiberius
    ✭✭✭✭
    We need to see more of Rigurt the Brash and the manservant, Stibbons with his Lady Clarisse Laurent. Missed them this year.
    Everyone is going in one direction, I'm going the other direction
  • sajackson
    sajackson
    ✭✭✭
    ESO is far and away the best MMO right now in terms of story-writing and quest content. I won't accept any arguments to the contrary.

Just a shame that ZOS cant or wont address the issues being raised re end-game and performance.

This is such a great game and it's a shame to see what it could be...
  • Saber91
    Saber91
    sajackson wrote: »
    ESO is far and away the best MMO right now in terms of story-writing and quest content. I won't accept any arguments to the contrary.

Just a shame that ZOS cant or wont address the issues being raised re end-game and performance.

This is such a great game and it's a shame to see what it could be...

Granted I’ve not played a lot of ESO I will say the writing is alright, 14 is much better written and presented though in its main scenario once you get past A realm reborn. Side quest wise it’s really let down and ESO shines here with making them feel like meaningful diversions.

I think ESO just needs a bit better in the writing and the scaling issue for difficulty. It’s too early days for me to comment on much else about the game as I never really dived into its end game aspects or crafting but I will in time.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    I want to pick out a well-written ESO character: Heem-Jas from Ruins of Mazzatun. He's a one joke character, but it works for me, because the joke - he's always late and contributes nothing - reflects reality. His personality also dictates that he doesn't flatter you, albeit he is plucky and likeable. That kind of writing works for me.

I love Heem-Jas. He's trying his best, but he obviously needs our help.

Another dungeon with dialogue I never tire of is White-Gold Tower. Sister Seran and Clivia Tharn are very good.
    The Moot Councillor
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESO questing is fine. There's lots to explore - people, places, stories, lore, etc.

I think it's getting better overall. I like that in the 2021 content my pacifist character was able to complete almost all of the side quests without being confronted by the absolute requirement to kill something. I enjoyed that. I hope it continues.

I try to accept the game for what it is, and build up from there. All my characters are provided with a heavy layer of additional narrative that makes sense of the seemingly dumb dialogue and the lack of meaningful choices. So that's not a problem for me.

There were a couple of big storyline howlers this year. But, I'm assuming that next time we meet Eveli she will have followed our heroes' fine example, and let Elam Drals recruit her into the Dark Brotherhood. I'm also choosing to believe that Rynkyus has trouble translating his daedric point of view into the common tongue.
    PC EU
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @VaranisArano

I generally agree. I learned to ignore the fact that my character is a thief and an assassin, or roleplay that they're turncoats but the fact is that most of the content is written as if our character is just this goody two shoes that's just stumbling around and solving world threatening problems almost by accident.

I mean do I have to everytime ask about obvious lore things after spending few years playing ESO and generally over 20 years of playing TES games? Can we just sometimes get the dialogue options that show that we know our stuff?

I'm way behind on content, I'm in the middle of Summerset right now (and I struggle with it since June). But what's stopping me from immersing myself in the stories is wordy dialogues that overexplain everything. I can present my recent quest experience as example, I'll try to remeani vague so I doubt I'll spoil anything:

One of the characters was grabbed in the chokehold by the villain and was being interrogated. We were forced to watch this from behind the barrier. Other character sent us to get some special staff to break said barrier. And of course they had to explain the whole reasoning behind the plan, what the staff is, what the villain wants, and what are their feelings at the moment. Sometimes less is more and simple "no time to explain, get this staff" would suffice.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Gleitfrosch
    Gleitfrosch
    ✭✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention that the player is the nicest person in the whole world. Even if we meet some absolute strangers, we are instantly ready to put our lives at danger to help them, without even knowing why they got in trouble (maybe they deserve it?)

I wish there would be an option to be more rational or even bad. Sure that requires more text and voicelines, but other games do it (voice and text) and they do it very good.
  • Harvokaan
    Harvokaan
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a big difference between
    - main quest
    - side quests / overland quests
    - also a difference between the old quests and the new ones (last few DLCs)

The side quests are usually better and more logical in regard to the possible dialog options. Especially the old side quests.
    Main quests, especially since the last few DLCs are a cliche, force the player to (repeatedly) ask the simpliest/dumbest questions and at some point the whole plot makes absolutely no sense, in short: they are bad.

the quality difference can be also seen between the old side quests and the newer ones. The new ones bluntly force explain every single bit (no option to bypass it) while the old ones do it far more intelligent to provide the player the relevant information.

example old quest:
    you meet an undead magically bound to another undead, the first one asks you to kill the other. your dialogue option is: "you think that if I kill the other one, it will set you free?". NPC answers "yes"

new quests are like:
    you meet an undead magically bound to another undead, the first one asks you to kill the other. your answer dalogue is: "what will happen if I kill the other one"? then the NPC tells you that it will set him free.

Same result but the new quests make the player feel dumb because he cant understand the most obvious things.

Oh i hate that since elsweyr mian character is just so dumb. Every longer quest lines they force you to ask some stupid question for exposition but because of that main hero sounds stupid most of the time. This and really lacking dialogues and character creations is something that is painful to watch, especially when you compare it with older quests that were often written just better.
    Also ludonarrative dissonance when quests presents us this big bad one who should be powerful and dangerous yet in real fight die in 2-3 seconds
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saber91 wrote: »
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    For me though the worst thing is the incentive to do them, there is none. as a player since lauch i havnt played a quest in years. becuase i get nothing for it.

You get Skill Points for completing zone storyline quests. I think each major zone's storyline is divided into 3 parts-- which, in the old base game (which I never got to experience in that version), corresponded to the 3 subzones of each major zone-- and you get a Skill Point (plus an Achievement/Title) upon completing each part. I'm not sure about the starter zones and smaller DLC zones, but I think you get at least 1 Skill Point from them, if not more. So doing the zone questlines is important if you're wanting to earn as many Skill Points as possible.

Also, the zone questlines seem to be designed to move you through each zone, and they-- along with the various side quests-- usually take you to out-of-the-way locations where there are skyshards, as well as lore books, treasure chests, etc. So if you're not using addons or websites that tell you exactly where everything is, or haven't done everything so many times on so many characters that you've memorized where everything is, doing the zone questlines and side quests can be helpful for finding all of the skyshards and lore books in a given zone. Even with the recent addition of skyshards to the map, it can still be difficult to find every single skyshard in a zone if you aren't doing the quests, since they don't show up on the map until you get within a certain distance of them.

Of course, you don't actually need all of the Skill Points that are available in the game, especially now that we have the Armory and can switch to different builds on our characters without having to pay respec fees each time.

I dont need skill points. i have a million already i cant even use them all and i havnt done a quest since morrowind. besides that you dont even need to quest for them you can just walk into a place a grab some skyshards or kill a group boss or something.
    Another thing that triggers me, its not like i can even make an alt to go questing on becuase they already have 2.5k CP like me as well.
    IMHO questing is an absolute waste of time, its incredably easy and pointless.
    In fact if i was struggling to sleep one night i might consider doing a quest.

So what do you think they could do or alter that would make questing viable for you outside of say difficulty changes etc? It’s nice to see differing opinions form long term players I think this thread has been quite insightful

It is an interseting problem created, now as the game is getting on a bit, i think there is an obvious decline in long term players such as myself. The focus on old player retention isnt as great as getting new players in and that makes perfect sense.
    I think the crown store is partly to blame, there are no unlockables because eveything is in the crown store, If you see somone on a cool mount you know they swiped for it. ( apart from the one godslayer mount)

Weapon skins, Pet skins, Mounts, Skin skins, should all ( mostly ) be unlocked by playing the game.
    I go into a dungeon and kill X boss and i have to buy their wepon from the crown store ???

Then there is the issue of overland difficulty, like what is the point.

Acheivments are not account wide, but they are at the same time. this for me is an irritating one foot in one foot out approch, like i make an alt and there is nothing to do on it once ive got it to level 50 and got some guild skills up becuase all my cp is unlocked already, so why would i take said alt questing.

Imo the solution to this would be to introduce class change scrolls so we can change out our "mains" after years of fatigue, but also ( contorversial oppinion incoming ) remove shared acheivments. yes even cp.
    In a real MMO if you make an ALT its an ALT, not an extention of your main.
    i've found myself playing on NA server ( normally EU) just to have a reason to play.
    I wouldnt mind making and leveling a new toon on EU but as i said. no point.

I have litterally compleated this game, and for an MMO i shouldnt be able to say that.
  • Anifaas
    Anifaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    The story is great and very immersive. It makes me feel like I'm part of TES.

The questing difficulty becomes too easy once you figure out how things work. Then it pushes you into group content and the difficulty spikes like crazy leaving you to adapt to one-shot kills everywhere. It's very frustrating.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Questing in ESO blows most of the competition out of the water