The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How to change companion's jewelry?

KMarble
KMarble
✭✭✭✭✭
I managed to get all 3 pieces of jewelry and equip them on Mirri. She's set up as a healer atm. Yesterday I got a ring that boosts her healing and tried to put it on her, but I cannot.

As of now she has 2 rings with random traits and I was trying to take the ring with the worse (for her) trait out and replace it with the healing one. Dragging the ring from my inventory doesn't work, if I double click the first ring is exchanged, but that is a ring I want to keep on her. Right clicking doesn't give me an option to equip or take out the rings. I also noticed that I cannot take the jewelry out of her and leave an empty spot.

How do I replace the ring if the one I want to take out is on the second slot? Anyone else had a similar problem?

Best Answer

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first time I tried to swap jewelry on a companion, right-clicking on the ring I wanted to replace (ring #2) wouldn't give me the option to unequip it; and whenever I equipped the new ring, it replaced ring #1, which I'd wanted to keep equipped.

I eventually was able to unequip ring #2 by switching to a different view-- I forget which one, but it might have been the Skills view-- and then I was able to go back to the Jewelry listing, equip the new ring, and have it go to the empty slot.

At a later time, I was once again trying to swap a new ring with ring #2 on a companion, and that time I was able to right-click on ring #2 and unequip it, no problem.

I don't know if there's an inconsistency about when right-clicking on equipped gear gives you the "unequip" option and when it doesn't, but try changing to a different view, including switching to a different filter on the gear view (that is, all gear, weapons only, armor only, and jewelry only), to see if that lets you unequip the specific ring you want to swap out with a new ring.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Answer ✓
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    try taking both rings away from her or deleting them
  • KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vigarr wrote: »

I cannot. It seems that once you equip her with something you can only trade it for something else. We cannot have an empty spot as we can with our characters.

I haven't tried deleting the ring I don't want on her. I'll check if it doesn't have a trait useful for a tank, and if it doesn't, I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    KMarble wrote: »

I cannot. It seems that once you equip her with something you can only trade it for something else. We cannot have an empty spot as we can with our characters.

I haven't tried deleting the ring I don't want on her. I'll check if it doesn't have a trait useful for a tank, and if it doesn't, I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestions.

np let us know what works because I know I'll need to switch their rings at some point ha
  • dogshaman
    dogshaman
    ✭✭✭
    Just tried both companions and I was able to swap out rings and just unequipe them leaving an empty ring/amulet slot on their sheets...

Washargo ~ Khajiit Warden Werewolf
    a.k.a. Wrongway Washargo, Wash the Elderly
    ~ Wanted by the Daggerfall Covenant and Ebonheart Pact for thievery, pickpocketing, impersonating a Daedric Prince, pandemonium and general mayhem
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gamepad mode is actually an easier menu for companions than the default PC menu.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had this problem before too, seemed an addon was interfering. If I did a 'reloadui' I was able to unequip the jewelry then.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    I had this problem before too, seemed an addon was interfering. If I did a 'reloadui' I was able to unequip the jewelry then.

I don't use add-ons, and have never installed any even just to try them out, so it definitely wasn't an add-on in my case. If it happens again, I'll try reloadui to see if that helps.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KMarble wrote: »

np let us know what works because I know I'll need to switch their rings at some point ha

I've tried it yesterday and was able, by right clicking, to switch or delete. I have no idea what happened that prevented me from doing it before.

I could had been an addon or some glitch in my internet connection. Since it's working, I cannot replicate it to figure out what caused it in the first place.

Thank you for prompting me to try to delete it. Had you not suggested it, I wouldn't have tried to interact with the ring again. Also, thanks to everyone who replied.
  • KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    The first time I tried to swap jewelry on a companion, right-clicking on the ring I wanted to replace (ring #2) wouldn't give me the option to unequip it; and whenever I equipped the new ring, it replaced ring #1, which I'd wanted to keep equipped.

I eventually was able to unequip ring #2 by switching to a different view-- I forget which one, but it might have been the Skills view-- and then I was able to go back to the Jewelry listing, equip the new ring, and have it go to the empty slot.

At a later time, I was once again trying to swap a new ring with ring #2 on a companion, and that time I was able to right-click on ring #2 and unequip it, no problem.

I don't know if there's an inconsistency about when right-clicking on equipped gear gives you the "unequip" option and when it doesn't, but try changing to a different view, including switching to a different filter on the gear view (that is, all gear, weapons only, armor only, and jewelry only), to see if that lets you unequip the specific ring you want to swap out with a new ring.

Thank you! That was exactly what I was trying to do - replace ring #2 - and exactly what happened to me while trying. Unlike you, though, I just gave up and came here to post.

As I said above, yesterday right clicking did give me the option I needed.
    Gamepad mode is actually an easier menu for companions than the default PC menu.

Thanks for the input. I use a mouse, though.
  • Czeri
    Czeri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tip about UI reload!

I was stuck with the second ring as well, but that helped.