The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Would you like a procedurally generated maze added to the game?

Tornaad
Tornaad
✭✭✭✭✭
I had the idea of a procedurally generated maze cross my mind for a possible break in the normal pattern of group dungeon releases. It could be group or solo ran and you could opt (based on a selection the group picks) to have PVP elements to the dungeon (ie kill your group member to send them back to the start) and then the points at the end are given based on how quickly you were able to get through the maze.

Would you like a procedurally generated maze added to the game? 50 votes

Yes. (Why?)
34%
Kesstryltspecherb14_ESOMalthorneDagoth_Raccyclonus11fizl101fred4Tommy_The_GunmahoukittyTornaadChaos2088SylvermynxAardappelboom_Zathras_SkaraMinocfrancesinhaloverKilianDermoth 17 votes
No, it needs improvement (Please give suggestion in comment)
12%
kojouRoztlin45robprGrandchamp1989FennwittyBlinx 6 votes
Just plain no. (Why)
54%
Gythralproprio.meb16_ESOiyxElsonsoKwoungPathkip_silverwolfTandorLeogonSerasWhipRaddlemanNumber7aaisoahoChilly-McFreezeArchangelIsraphelspartaxoxoDiebesgutjoergingerwhitecrowbmnobleNevidyra 27 votes
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are two separate elements here as I see it:

Procedurally generated dungeon maze: If it made sense for the dungeon, maybe it could be fun to have one with varying layout. I wouldn’t want all dungeons this way and it could make certain achievements harder to get, but for a unique dungeon or two it could potentially be fun.

PvP in dungeon: Definitely against killing group members! It could be a new form of BG in a format rather like IC sewers. More types of PvP could be fun — I personally find straight Deathmatch boring rather quickly — but I think it would take a lot more to bring more people into ESO PvP, such as in my opinion, better match-making (should be based on wins), better reward tracks, and maybe ranked PvP.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make use of the Alyied realm of doors maybe? Each run the portals are all flip flopped with different destinations that take you into different areas. While you'll know what to do in each room after a few runs some runs won't have X room while others will have it at the beginning or end. Maybe even have a room be multifloored so a portal can take you back but to a different level on it to grab a key to unlock a portal somewhere else.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • _Zathras_
    _Zathras_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. (Why?)
    Sure. Why not.

FFXIV has one, and it is quite popular. It has its own specific gear, titles, achievements, etc. Very different playstyle as well..more rogue-like, with traps and mechanics that are specific to its depths.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes. (Why?)
    That sounds really cool and different.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. (Why?)
    Personally, I wouldn't use it (because I don't do group content) but why not if everyone likes the idea?
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes. (Why?)
    Only if it was PvPvE with good loot and very difficult PvE. No trash sets.

Make it a true Darkness Falls and not like Imperial City.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on December 30, 2021 11:27PM
    PC NA
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zuboko wrote: »
    I had the idea of a procedurally generated maze cross my mind for a possible break in the normal pattern of group dungeon releases. It could be group or solo ran and you could opt (based on a selection the group picks) to have PVP elements to the dungeon (ie kill your group member to send them back to the start) and then the points at the end are given based on how quickly you were able to get through the maze.

It my experience, randomly generated dungeons or maps are one of those ideas that sound really cool on paper, but once implemented are meh. Having to run right instead of left or having the exit on the west side instead of east doesn't really add much to the gameplay.

I think the idea of letting players create their own dungeon runs (an idea that was floated on here awhile back) using the housing editor would be a better investment of the developer's time if they wanted to pursue something like this.
    Edited by Jeremy on December 31, 2021 12:07AM
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. (Why?)
    Jeremy wrote: »

It my experience, randomly generated dungeons or maps are one of those ideas that sound really cool on paper, but once implemented are meh. Having to run right instead of left or having the exit on the west side instead of east doesn't really add much to the gameplay.

I think the idea of letting players create their own dungeon runs (an idea that was floated on here awhile back) using the housing editor would be a better investment of the developer's time if they wanted to pursue something like this.

Part of what got me thinking about it is a tidbit I heard that claims that Bethesda is supposedly planning on implementing some form of advanced procedural generation in Starfield.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »

Part of what got me thinking about it is a tidbit I heard that claims that Bethesda is supposedly planning on implementing some form of advanced procedural generation in Starfield.

I see.

Well it's possible if they have some new advanced method it could be more impactful. I've just never been that impressed with "randomly generated" dungeons in the past and it always sounds better than it ends up being.
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. (Why?)
    Yeah if it is like the final fantasy one
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just plain no. (Why)
    I'd rather they work on fixing the PVP they have going right now then trying to add something new, due to the technical problems they are having with it.
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there's already too many parts of the existing game that don't function like they should, let's not add more to tax the servers even further.

I chose the first no I saw lol, should have chosen plain no
    Edited by Blinx on December 31, 2021 1:18AM
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just plain no. (Why)
    The idea of procedurally generated dungeons isn't terrible per-se, but like Jeremy, I agree that it's something that always sounds better on paper than it is in practice. I've played several MMOS which used procedural generation in instanced dungeons, and believe it or not, it actually made them more boring and tedious to complete than they would have been had they been predictable due to the various annoyances procedural generation caused.

Visually, they were also very bland and repetitive compared to the more artistic approach used in pre-made dungeons. I have no idea if Bethesda has developed better methods of making such things more aesthetically pleasing, but when I played other games it was like "Oh, yay...a new room that looks just like the last room we left, but with a door on the other side and turned the other way around!...wow."

As for your PVP idea- I wouldn't want to PVP group members. However, Aion Online had a pretty fun PVP/PVE dungeon mechanic called Dredgion, where two groups of 6 fought against each other. The entire thing took place on an enormous air ship full of mobs, and the object of the game was to gain control of the ship and be the first to destroy it's leaders while contending with members of the opposite faction who were trying to do the same. Points were gained for both PVE and PVP kills, and first to reach the goal or have the most points won (To my recollection, the whole thing was timed, but I could be wrong. It's been a while since I've touched Aion due to the devs of that game running it into the ground.) These PVP/PVE instances were pretty fun and well designed, and required some tactical thinking to complete. I wouldn't mind something similar existing in ESO, but I wouldn't want it to be procedurally generated.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I run around soloing normal dungeons just to get the feeling of an actual dungeon-delver. So yeah, I think its a fantastic idea. They had this sort of gameplay in Daggerfall, so there's precedence in the series.

Maybe they could associate dynamic daily quests with them, like having the Mage's Guild send you to one to locate a powerful scroll that can be used to summon a Daedra on a specific day to build rep. Or have it so that every level gets more challenging with ramping rewards or something.

Give me something dynamic. I'd love it.
  • ajkb78
    ajkb78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would end up like a 3d version of Rogue: procedurally generated but all basically the same feel. It might be kind of fun for a bit, but I don't think you can beat handcrafted content. There are plenty of new and interesting me hsnica they could use though. I like the idea of separation: combining the me hsnica of Hel Ra (half group goes each way) with Spawn of Mephala (random player goes in the portal) could be fun, you could end up with a piece of content where the group got randomly split for a significant portion and you might have to adapt to not having a tank or a healer with you for (which might also require the content to be solvable in different ways).
  • Aardappelboom
    Aardappelboom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. (Why?)
    I think it would be pretty cool to have an arena styled roguelike dungeon. I kind of love the sewers in IC because it really feels like you're dungeon crawling in there, exploring, running into surprise encounters.

If they could add one that feels like a roguelike experience, I think it would add a lot for PVE players. I'd definitely play it and even if not for everyone, it would definitely cater to a portion of yhe players.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The idea of a maze based dungeon is not bad. I generally like puzzles and would think that is fun, but I don't think it could be procedure generated. At least not completely...

Maybe if it was more of a hedge maze where parts of it would shift at times, and certain goal areas would have boss encounters that would be fun.

I would also rather it was a trial/arena type dungeon, because it would not be something I would want to do if I was just going to run a "daily" thing.

Playing since beta...
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. (Why?)
    YES ! :D
    - Solo or group mode.
    - The goal would be to reach the end.
    - Procedurally generated areas with different objectives each.
    - Sometimes it would be to kill final boss, or all enemies or just solve a puzzle to open door to next stage.
    - ^ Something like this would emulate old-school dungeon crawler.
    - The dungeon would be long (very long, consisting of a 10+ Procedurally generated, modular stages), so it would have a "check point" - a way shrines along the way, so you can port to next day etc.
    - The dungeon would work similarly as arenas do - as long as you have a quest active, the dungeon would not reset.
    - There would be different rewards (achievements, motives, sets, collectibles, mythic leads etc).
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on December 31, 2021 6:56PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just plain no. (Why)
    Nothing about dungeons, PvP, randomly generated content, or points/leadership boards appeals to me, and as others have pointed out this sort of thing when implemented elsewhere has never lived up to the expectations and has tended to get monotonous very quickly.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just plain no. (Why)
    I like my games to be handmade. Leaving it to random computer generation makes it feel not "real."

A maze that is designed to shift as you go through it might be okay... but I am terrible at navigating that sort of thing!
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really have an opinion on procedurally generated dungeons in ESO, but I've long hoped that ES6 would mark a return to the procedurally generated roots of the Elder Scrolls series (i.e. Arena and Daggerfall), along with technological advancements in procedural generation to overcome the generic/samey feel those early games have.
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A what? I'm sorry if I'm thick but what is a procedurally generated maze and why would I want one?
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a navigationally challenged person, I'd have to say no, but for other players, sure, could be an interesting mini game.
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but not as single entity, but as endless instance. So you go from entrance to exit and game loads another procedural maze, with ever scaling difficulty and rewards. Of course with all that fancy stuff like leaderboards, titles and so on.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The idea's pretty rough, but I'm not sure what exactly the goal is either.

Sounds like some kind of battleground map you're going for?

I'm not opposed inherently to a changing dungeon but am very skeptical the current game and development team would be able to make a satisfactory experience with it.

Current dungeons are designed and implemented in painstaking detail by human beings. And they can still be buggy or don't work as expected. Letting the game engine randomly choose what's behind the next door just screams 'players falling through the void repeatedly' to me.

Aside: It already feels like the 'Vateshran Hollows' arena was a procedurally-generated series of rooms and corridors :p
    PC NA