The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Because I think we could all do with a laugh sometimes - Gryph's tale of woe.

SSX_Gryphon
SSX_Gryphon
✭✭✭
So, I'm sat reading a book. It's a good book! I want to do something easy on ESO. I figure what the heck, my lovely guildies sent me ambrosia as birthday presents yesterday. I'll pop one of those and as my craft bag is fulla stuff, I'll smash some charity writs out. 30k XP a pop with the mug? Sure :)

Here beginneth the lesson on thou shalt hold. your. frikkin. horses.

Head to the traders in mournhold. Start picking up charity writs. Pow, 250g, Pow 350g pop, pop, pop - if it's cheap, I'm having it.

SWEET. Good work sunshine.

Oh. Wait... these are... these are the winter ones. Okay, fine I can dig it. I'll open one... Okay - what - 12? 12 boxes? Oooookaaayy.... bit steep but sure, I can dig it. (I work from home so 9-5 I gather whilst I'm in meetings or doing tedious stuff - I've got mats for days! plus, I made a decent amount selling off heartwood...

selling... heartwood.

Which it turns out I now need.

Now, a wise man would probably stop at this point. He'd think, okay - cut your losses. RIght now, you're only out the small amount of gold you spent on the writs. THE BUTTLOAD OF WRONG WRITS.

Me? I like my crayons. I'll eat a whole pack of those things if left unchecked! I'm in for this, I have a few mil in the bank, I'm good for this, lemme just go through my list of writs and figure out how much heartwood I need. Ok. I need 1004 more to complete everything.

So, still not grasping the stupidity of my life choices at this point, I take my dumb ass off to the traders and scope out a few stacks of hearttwood. Boom. Roughly 2 mil. Lovely.

I sit there, I craft all the items I will need, forgetting I still have stuff in my (Now full) inbox as writs are still arriving delayed.

Still convinced that I have been gifted to the world by the makers of sliced bread, I settle up near the drop off point and get ready to press "E" a whole bunch.

It begins! Off to the races.

I burn through the writs I have, not yet fully grasping the fact that I have just spent 2 million, plus however the heck much nickel costs from vendors. I jhave wasted 40 minutes going through my lists and I have clogged my full inventory, full inbox and full bank.

What I also now realise is that I failed to math. I don't have enough material. Like at all.

On top of this, a look of horror creeps across my face as I realise that whilst I took my ambrosia out of my bank, I did not consume it. Nor did I drink Bredas mead.

My log looks a little bit like this

Exp - 7K
Exp - 7K
Exp - 7k.

So to recap

1. I failed to check what I could actually build.
2. I bought a whole ton of the wrong writs.
3. I clogged nearly every free slot I have.
4. I am VERY stupid.
5. After realising this, I still committed to it.
6. You stupid man.
7. I then spent several million on heartwood
8. 7. You guessed it, I made those millions selling *drumroll* HEARTWOOD!
9. I forgot to use my ambrosia
10. I forgot to use my mead
11. My trade guild is closing prior to a merger, so I can't sell these
12. I hate myself
13. In order to attain the truly life changing 10 CP I got for this endeavour, I have spent in total 4.5 million gold and an hour and a half of my time.
14. Oh god I need an adult please
15. I never read my book throughout ANY OF IT.
16. Help I cannot be left to my own devices.

TLDR - anyone need Skall explorer pages?

• ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    abb.jpg
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hoo boy. That's - sad. I wasn't tempted to laugh at you - but I did wince in sympathy (having done some seriously dumb stuff myself not only in this game but in the other MMOs I played a while back)!

Sometimes, you just get so ball-of-waxed by your own "not so brilliant" self, you wind up - just.... like.... that....

The real problem is - I swore I learned my lesson the last time (about 3 months ago) that I did something not too bright, like spend a bunch of gold on a writ, then realize I didn't have the motif learned, and then couldn't find the motif affordably (like - I'm not about to spend 500k to complete a writ I "only" paid 50k for.... *sigh*). Unfortunately, I did it again just a couple weeks ago. *sigh again*
    Options
  • SSX_Gryphon
    SSX_Gryphon
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, this is like a once a week sorta deal for me. I taste the snozzberries on the reg. Everyone should laugh. And then NEVER REPEAT MY STUPID.
    Edited by SSX_Gryphon on December 28, 2021 11:05PM
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I dunno - it's not funny when I do it, and I'd never laugh at you because you do it no matter how often. Since the last one I did, I've taped a big note to my monitors with "CHECK MOTIF KNOWLEDGE BEFORE BUYING WRIT!" in bright red. I'll let you know if it saves me in future!
    Options
  • SSX_Gryphon
    SSX_Gryphon
    ✭✭✭
    I've only lost my time, which I give freely. I play to unwind, if I unwind it's time well spent. Gold is just a bunch of 1's and 0's somewhere on a server. There's always more.

Plus, now I have a mildly amusing anecdote on the hubris of man :P
    Options
  • Ashryn
    Ashryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we all do stupid things in this game and often, more then not, it involves crafting... I do sympathize with you, but i do admire your good outlook!
    Options
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like something I'd do!! :D

My deepest sympathies :D

I vote we make headdesk an actual emote :p
    Edit = Typos ... as usual. <;D
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Great idea! +1
    Options
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've commited to poorely thought out plans in game as well, like submitting writs and completely forgetting about the mythic amrosia I got, or like the time I bought dozens of these envelops in Cyro, spending millions of AP when I needed only one... But it's OK OP, since it's in-game gold and you can earn it again, just call it a crazy shopping spree :smiley:
    Options
  • RachelTheElf
    Damn elves. I bet they had something to do with this
    Options
  • SSX_Gryphon
    SSX_Gryphon
    ✭✭✭
    Damn elves. I bet they had something to do with this

If I'd have just stayed in group today this never would have happened. :p I need to be supervised at all times. The only time I should be on my own is waiting to be rezzed because I stood in stupid.
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the chuckle - laughing with you, because I've been there too!
    Options
  • gamma71
    gamma71
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wanted a house so the last 3 events I've been getting the mats for doom char plateau. I just wanted a place to store stuff I'm not into building a house or decorating it. So I finally got doom char and went inside and saw a window pop up asking about primary residence and saw 3 other houses I had I was like wtfff. I had no clue I had 3 houses already otherwise I would not have wasted my time getting event tickets.

Still not sure how I got the houses problem from questing or something Wich I just click thru and don't pay attention obviously.
    Options
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My condolences, comrade.

May Zenithar smile upon you.
    Options
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

Great idea! +1

I imagine it'd be something like the character pulls a fancy desk out of their pocket to slam themselves over the head with a couple of times, like a hammer in a cartoon, and then put it away again shaking one's head at oneself and free of stars and moons :D
    Edit = Typos ... as usual. <;D
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

Great idea! +1

I imagine it'd be something like the character pulls a fancy desk out of their pocket to slam themselves over the head with a couple of times, like a hammer in a cartoon, and then put it away again shaking one's head at oneself and free of stars and moons :D

PERFECTION! Oh PLEASE ZOS, make it so!
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    laughing-hysterically-crying-laughing.gif

Thanks for the story OP, glad you have a good sense of humor about the whole thing. We've have all had our moments of absolute genius. Just the other day I read a recipe too fast in real life, and thought I was supposed to cut up a "clove of onion," rather than garlic. I had the onion all minced and chopped because I assumed an amount based off of nothing, before I realized that it was supposed to be garlic. Luckily I caught the mistake before I put the onion into the recipe haha.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 29, 2021 2:51AM
    Options
  • Mushroomancer
    Mushroomancer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Man, I *** you not, I did the exact same thing during the witches festival, just with provisioning writs. Bought a huge stack of the ones that ask you to craft Orzorga's golden recipes. Turns out, I had forgotten that those require Perfect Roe, and since I fish maybe once a year and I definitely don't have the funds to get an ungodly amount of Perfect Roe, I have several hundred thousands worth of writs sitting in my house chest. Yeah, I'm a ***. Guess I'll knock those out over the years... maybe.
    PC | EU 1600+ CP

Chews-On-Shrooms - Argonian (EP) | Healer Warden
    I know I have a problem, leave me alone:

Nirya Urayel - Altmer (EP) | Healer/Magicka Templar
    Ulen Favel - Dunmer (EP) | Magicka Nightblade
    Anise Favel - Dunmer (EP) | Magicka Dragonknight
    Vivienne Rielle - Breton (EP) | Hybrid Healer/Magicka Necromancer
    Gaspar Rielle - Breton (DC) | Magicka Sorcerer
    Ulfgar the Foul - Nord (EP) | Tank Necromancer
    Plays-With-Chains - Argonian (EP) | Tank Dragonknight
    Sonje the Wild - Nord (EP) | Tank Warden
    Brutus Lovidicus - Imperial (EP) | Tank Nightblade
    Velms Ienith - Dunmer (EP) | Tank Sorcerer
    Cassius Lanius - Imperial (EP) | Tank/Stamina Templar
    Shakar-gro-Khazgur - Orc (DC) | Stamina Dragonknight
    Liette Nightwind - Bosmer (AD) | Stamina Nightblade
    Ja'khar the Salty - Khajiit (EP) | Stamina Necromancer
    Saadia al-Tava - Redguard (EP) | Stamina Sorcerer
    Gwinas Hemp-Burner - Bosmer (EP) | Stamina Warden
    Grand Master Crafter, All Dungeon HM up to Stonethorn, vCrag HM, vDSA, vMA, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vHOF HM, vAS+2, Gryphon Heart, vBRP, vSS HM (Extinguisher of Flames),
    vKA HM (Shield of the North), vRG 1/3HM
    Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My dumbest move of this kind may have been buying up Witches Writs -- more than once!

Unlike other kind, Witches writs give negligible amounts of XP, akin to that from turning in a single daily crafting quest.

Making that mistake once isn't particularly stupid. REPEATING it, however ...
    Options