The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Morphs. Why are they straight upgrades?

MindOfTheSwarm
MindOfTheSwarm
✭✭✭✭✭
Shouldn’t morphing be an option rather than a requisite? Why not have base abilities offer something that morphs don’t to make choices more impactful? Just a thought.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's highly likely they wanted the base morph to be the part of the spell that converts during the spell crafting system.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For simple sense of progression, I guess.
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yup i would like to see option for stamina Jabs to heal or give extra crit this is choose wchich i need right now. Everything scaled with best stats cost too.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are at least two abilities I can think that you might consider not morphing in some cases:

Vigor. AoE morph increases range, increases total amount healed over duration, but also increases duration, which makes it heal less per one second, than unupgraded version.

Circle of protection. One morph significantly lowers duration, the other one adds CC component - you might not want to give enemy CC immunity when casting for buffs it provides, and instead CC enemy when you actually need it.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »
    There are at least two abilities I can think that you might consider not morphing in some cases:

Vigor. AoE morph increases range, increases total amount healed over duration, but also increases duration, which makes it heal less per one second, than unupgraded version.

I'd still morph it because like Radiating Regeneration that's less often you have to cast it, and it's healing your friends farther away. Makes it far more useful.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »

Circle of protection. One morph significantly lowers duration, the other one adds CC component - you might not want to give enemy CC immunity when casting for buffs it provides, and instead CC enemy when you actually need it.

And this is an issue, furthermore some morphs are simply better all the time. Take a look at the Warden bear. No one pick the Stam morph due to the Magic one always dealing more damage no matter what build your playing.

Morphs should be optional: gain something and lose something.

Example:

Get ride of Dive and have the following:

Base Ability:

Screaming Cliff Racer:
    Command a cliff racer to dive bomb an enemy, dealing 2160 Magic Damage. If you are more than 7 meters away from the target, you set them Off Balance for 7 seconds. Deals up to 15% more damage based on how far away the enemy is

Morph 1:

Cutting Dive:

Command a cliff racer to dive bomb an enemy, dealing 2091 Bleed Damage. If you are more than 7 meters away from the target, you set them Off Balance for 7 seconds. If the enemy is already Off Balance, the cliff racer rips through them, causing them to bleed for 2149 Bleed Damage over 7 seconds. This effect can stack.

Morph 2:

Summon Ice Wraith:

Summon an Ice Wraith instead whose attacks deal 600 Frost Damage. The skill can be activated again to cause the Ice Wraith to send out an Icy Cyclone for 10 seconds that slowly travels forward dealing 450 Frost Damage every second to enemies in the area. You also gain Major Prophecy while the Ice Wraith is active. Lasts until killed or Unsummoned.

Here the Magicka morph has been moved to the main ability and an alternative Morph has been added. This morph actually morphs the ability into something different. In this example becoming a pet but also losing something in that it is no longer a DPS spammable.

I feel all skills in the game should have morphs that work this way. Gain and loss. Not just gain.

@ESO_Nightingale
    @EF321
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For simple sense of progression, I guess.

It is likely this since the morphs seem to be more advanced than the base skill. It makes sense to me.