The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How to Save Cyrodiil And BGs

Abyssmol
Abyssmol
✭✭✭✭✭
To reduce lag in Cyrodiil with the current Hardware:
1) reduce population to two bars equivalent on all Campaigns - this would spread players more.
2) remove Home Campaign - you can keep faction locked if you want.
3)Link Campaigns scores - all Campaigns (CP, No-CP, etc...) contribute to one main score. This is the most important part. No matter which campaign players end up playing, their efforts would add up to the main score. For lore purpose, you could say that Cyrodiil was split into multiple dimensions.

For Battlegrounds:
1) separate Deathmatch from the other modes. Players that like objectives have stopped playing BGs. I play deathmatch, and I'm sick and tired of it already. There is no variety anymore.

• SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm sure they'll make changes to the battleground queue to make objective modes more accessible. It's just a matter of time.

Cyrodiil I don't recommend reducing the population. It's already a ghost town in the most popular campaigns. It's a huge map and we need it filled with players. Sprinting on a horse for 5 minutes without seeing another player should never happen.
    PC NA
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyro is doomed. When it works like intended, it lags. When it doesn't lag, it's PvDoor 90% time, like I could literally go 3 keeps without any resistance.

This game needs 12v12 BG-like experience.
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would prefer they just updated their main hardware appropriately and then raise pop caps again.
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't think lowering pop cap is best for PVP. That would mean, more time is spent just wandering a desolate landscape. Cyrodiil is already too big for it's own good imo. There's too much open space where nothing really happens as is, lowering pop caps means you have a much lower chance of seeing actual players.
    People already complain cyrodiil is mount riding simulator and PvDoor simulator and lowering pop caps just makes this more and more true
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • AuraNebula
    AuraNebula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On PS NA every AD and EP only have two bars while DC is always rocking three. I don't know if everyone is just switching to DC...but I think it's more likely that people just aren't playing anymore.
    And it hasn't helped the lag.

• NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ... Combine them to make new content: Chariot Races! 2 person mounts become a must for most PvPers, and new content to complain about lol. Reduce Cyro pop by taking the best parts of horse simulator (there's good parts?) and combining it with the fast paced competition of a Battleground! Many IC districts are already shaped for it.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my quick fix for cyro:
    - open the keeps. Create different openings and locations of entry for each keep according to elder scrolls lore.
    - remove siege
    - lock gear to stuff earned in PvP only and monster sets (tel var included).
    - remove CP entirely from both cyro and bgs (having less systems dictating rules are good for overall health of games despite player feedback suggesting otherwise).

Long term?:
    - turn on collision. New World proves it forces players to think about positioning.
    - remove auto aim for range and auto aim for gap closers. Make aiming tactical. Rethink how aoe effects play into this.
    - make permanent PvP siege locations. You unlock them by turning in PvP quests.
    - make respawn random for everyone (or make random tent locations and remove the tents)
    - pve quests give you powerful PvP gear. During yearly events you can unlock current dlc sets.
    - remove the linked fast travel. You randomly respawn and have to run back to your team.
    - remove emp and daedric weapons from cyro. Put EMP in upper imperial city and daedric weapons in sewers. Molag bol boss randomly spawns in both upper or sewers (you'll need emp and daedric weapon to kill boss now).
    - actions in imperial city impact campaign score. They have their own PvP quests to complete.
    - remove animation cancelling. Make specific animations that can be cancelled and only in specific ways. (Like block shouldn't cancel since it can negate certain cc, but dodge should let you cancel and each class gets their own take on animation cancelling). Make it more tactical than mandatory.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Minno Basically you want to play completely different game?
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I understand the Cyrodiil population has already been reduced multiple times to the small population we have now and performance is worse now than it used to be. So that does not seem to be the issue. Finding out why it keeps getting worse and then deal with the real issue seems to be the best course of action.

Not sure how a home campaign is an issue. How does setting a home campaign increase lag?

Linking the campaign score will mean campaigns with off-balanced alliance populations will have a great effect on the scores and mean the more balanced, and as a result more competitive with actual PvP, will have very little effect on the score. So a sound no to this last point as it will make victory meaningless.
    Edited by Amottica on December 15, 2021 8:29PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »
    @Minno Basically you want to play completely different game?

yea the DAoC version from 2014
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    - turn on collision. New World proves it forces players to think about positioning.

We already have to think about positioning if we want to actually hit the target. Even range need to consider clear shots since an attack can still hit a player between them with target assist. Last night in NW there were only there servers in US-W with more than 1k population during prime time and 20 with less than 100 people. I do not know why I still bother to log in there.
  • jerj6925
    jerj6925
    ✭✭✭✭
    Abyssmol wrote: »
    To reduce lag in Cyrodiil with the current Hardware:
    1) reduce population to two bars equivalent on all Campaigns - this would spread players more.
    2) remove Home Campaign - you can keep faction locked if you want.
    3)Link Campaigns scores - all Campaigns (CP, No-CP, etc...) contribute to one main score. This is the most important part. No matter which campaign players end up playing, their efforts would add up to the main score. For lore purpose, you could say that Cyrodiil was split into multiple dimensions.

For Battlegrounds:
    1) separate Deathmatch from the other modes. Players that like objectives have stopped playing BGs. I play deathmatch, and I'm sick and tired of it already. There is no variety anymore.

1) No, fights are already around 30 vs 30 at best and almost always its around 10 to 12 each... any less and you cant call it a MMO anymore.
    2) No, but they need to change it so its just two teams now. way to much working together between two teams.
    3) No, but they should link IC in with the score to encourage its use or if there is que have pepole wait in IC until they can get in to cyrodiil.

1) What they need to do is find a way to counter the cheating hardware people are using that is killing the server performance.
    2) They need to have defense caps like they have on attacking and healing, really its ok for all builds to die, you dont need the god mode builds. they need to go back to all builds are viable and stop with the meta carrot build.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

We already have to think about positioning if we want to actually hit the target. Even range need to consider clear shots since an attack can still hit a player between them with target assist. Last night in NW there were only there servers in US-W with more than 1k population during prime time and 20 with less than 100 people. I do not know why I still bother to log in there.

That is a good point. Because of all the zerging it's hard to separate targets to fully utilize single target ranged attacks.
    There is probably an easier way to articulate the change too. But I am unsure of the the anti zerg mechanic, aside from a fully spell redesign and force locked animations so make combos more important over AOES.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

That is a good point. Because of all the zerging it's hard to separate targets to fully utilize single target ranged attacks.
    There is probably an easier way to articulate the change too. But I am unsure of the the anti zerg mechanic, aside from a fully spell redesign and force locked animations so make combos more important over AOES.

I think it is more the nature that Cyrodiil is designed for group vs group. Less so about individual player vs individual player, though that can still be found. I personally prefer PvP that is a 4v4 or 8v8 type match regardless of DM or objective style. It is still a group but also involved single targets. The 4v4v4 in ESO seems to play out differently which is why I do not like it so much.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Any heal stacking beyond whatever a hardcore PvE trials raid needs should have severe diminishing returns.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps