The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Malevolant offering, now a crap healing skill for healing others (potential bug with targeting)?

Foxtrot39
Foxtrot39
✭✭✭✭
One thing I hated with the changes done was transfering 3/4 of the health cost into a magicka cost on either morph making a ressource free support burst heal be taken away from healer and tanks while taking the some of the identity away with bloodmagick becoming magick with a bit of blood instead

One thing that made it even worse for me is the self targeting aspect, while great when you need a strong burst heal, it also make it impossible to cast it twice to heal others

Even when an ally has 50% hp in front of me the skill targets me for my missing 140hp instead in most scenarios, and with the massive magicka cost if not a mag archetype build you only have 3-4 casts before being out of magicka making those occurence even more punishing as it waste a sizeable chunk of your magicka reserve
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a fix the developers could do:

If you're in a group, there should be a drop-down option in the group settings that says "prioritize other players" or "Prioritize self" for healing targeting.
    Edited by Syrpynt on November 23, 2021 5:28PM
  • Ksariyu
    Ksariyu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly Smart Heals is kind of a bad system overall. Part of the skill in being a healer is knowing who to heal when, but this takes away your ability to make that choice and often makes the wrong one. A proper targeting system would be a welcome addition to the game, especially considering the number of complaints from 1. Tanks not being able to target boss among adds, 2. DPS targeting mice/crabs/spiders, and 3. Healers targeting full HP allies. Tab targeting is at least a thing for the first two, might as well make it work for heals as well.
  • spacefracking
    spacefracking
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not having any problems with it in pvp. In fact, I think it's great. I run 32k health tho, so perhaps that makes a difference.
    Edited by spacefracking on November 23, 2021 10:16PM
  • Sauce_B055
    Sauce_B055
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with Malevolent Offering is the same as with Fungal Growth, "cone" abilities are just difficult to use. The delayed animation + latency + sheer speed at which players run around means you're often gonna miss if you're standing too close to them. It also used to be able to heal through obstacles, but now it seems to get blocked by every tiny pebble within throwing distance. Rocks and lightposts are the bane of this ability.

If you keep a bit of distance and a clear line of sight to your ally then it should target them just fine, but ideally they'd bring back targeting through obstacles and make the targeting area a rectangle instead of a cone for easier use in CQC.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sauce_B055 wrote: »
    The problem with Malevolent Offering is the same as with Fungal Growth, "cone" abilities are just difficult to use. The delayed animation + latency + sheer speed at which players run around means you're often gonna miss if you're standing too close to them. It also used to be able to heal through obstacles, but now it seems to get blocked by every tiny pebble within throwing distance. Rocks and lightposts are the bane of this ability.

If you keep a bit of distance and a clear line of sight to your ally then it should target them just fine, but ideally they'd bring back targeting through obstacles and make the targeting area a rectangle instead of a cone for easier use in CQC.

I actually love fungal growth. Just takes to get adjusted too
  • Foxtrot39
    Foxtrot39
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not having any problems with it in pvp. In fact, I think it's great. I run 32k health tho, so perhaps that makes a difference.

This hardly fits the discussion, problem is targeting wounded allies with much lower hp than you and the skill selecting you for the heal wasting vast ammount of your limited magicka reserve
  • Arkew
    Arkew
    ✭✭✭
    and no longer bypass wall
  • Charlotte_Loreley
    Charlotte_Loreley
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed something funky with the spell after several recent patches also.
    Sometimes I try to heal a lower hp member in front of me and it just doesn't heal them. So I have to run much closer to them and use ability several times in order to finally heal them. I am not sure if it's because something was blocking my line of sight, the spell was targeting me for some reason, or it was a lag issue.

If line of sight is the issue, as a person above commented, and the small rocks/debris are the main culprit, I'd be okay if they raised the health cost but made the ability to not require a full line of sight. So, it could still hit your target even if they have partial cover.