The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Could we have Tel Var loss disabled please? [Solved: You can deposit Tel Var in the bank instead]

BlossomDead
BlossomDead
✭✭✭✭
Could we have Tel Var loss disabled please?

I'm trying to farm 15k more Tel Var to buy 3 Hakeijo runes in IC and it's been an absolutely horrid experience so far farming the first 4 I required. I need to put in three times the amount of time I would need to because people farm you rather than mobs and it's usually a nightblade that stuns you to death with virtually 0 counterplay. This also for some reason bugs out my ultimate (DK - Take Flight) so I need to log-out and log in back again. It is extremely frustrating.

Other than this rune I have absolutely subzero interest in that map.

If it is easier to add Hakejiro to the regular nodes I'm all for that. But the whole experience makes me want to commit atrocities irl.
Edited by BlossomDead on December 1, 2021 3:46PM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could just buy them on guild traders.

The whole point of PVP in Imperial City is the risk of losing Tel Var. That should never go away. It isn't supposed to be easy. You just have to get better at PVP. Or buy them from Guild Traders.
  • BlossomDead
    BlossomDead
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are too expensieve for what they are IMHO, so I prefer to farm them myself. The loss is just huge.

Needs a refresh.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @jaws343 is correct. It is a PvP zone and Tel Var is the driving factor for PvP there.

Having virtually zero counterplay is probably related to the build being used. Going into IC with a PvE guild is probably asking to get killed. Especially the lower health is a red *** that the person is easy to kill and probably carrying a lot of Tel Var.
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Being able to loot tel var stones from your opponent is one of the core features of this pvp area.

If you think they are too expensive at the guild traders, ask yourself if you really need them. Or trade them for something that easier for you to farm. (Maybe a rare motif page, a bunch of corn flowers or two chromium grains).
  • BlossomDead
    BlossomDead
    ✭✭✭✭
    56k gold for a rune is too expensive. The whole experience to get them is just abhorrently difficult.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    56k gold for a rune is too expensive. The whole experience to get them is just abhorrently difficult.

So don't buy a gold rune.. just buy the hakeijo and make your own rune.

You basically want to earn these for free without taking any of the risks associated with earning them. It's nonsense.
  • BlossomDead
    BlossomDead
    ✭✭✭✭
    That was the price for Hakeijo, not a gold rune.

How am I earning them for free when I'm actively spending the time to farm them lol? Check the definition of nonsense please.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was the price for Hakeijo, not a gold rune.

How am I earning them for free when I'm actively spending the time to farm them lol? Check the definition of nonsense please.

You want to remove the actual challenge of farming Tel Var. The PVE mobs are not a challenge. So yeah, you want to earn them for free so that you don't have to take the risk or the effort of farming them properly with PVP as a risk.
  • Snow_White
    Snow_White
    ✭✭✭
    I farm telvar for Hakeijo with my PVE build. I stay in the sewers, run out to the middle, kill everything, then run or port back. 3-5k per run.

I see so few players in the sewers that ganking PVE players must be a boring life.
  • BlossomDead
    BlossomDead
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would beg to differ. The mobs are fairly challenging.

Additionally I have also stated another option of moving them into the regular Rune nodes.

So no, I do not want to earn them for free. Do you consider you levelled up your character for free? Did you start by leveling up in PVP?
  • BlossomDead
    BlossomDead
    ✭✭✭✭
    Snow_White wrote: »
    I farm telvar for Hakeijo with my PVE build. I stay in the sewers, run out to the middle, kill everything, then run or port back. 3-5k per run.

I see so few players in the sewers that ganking PVE players must be a boring life.

Maybe I'm unlucky but for the past two days I have been ganked quite a lot. I also have decent HP (25k) and I'm decked in medium armor, however everyone seems to just be shredding through it.

Investing more time into getting PVP gear (which is fairly expensive) to only farm some runes it's overkill IMHO.
  • NerfSeige
    NerfSeige
    ✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

You basically want to earn these for free without taking any of the risks associated with earning them. It's nonsense.

You misunderstood, it’s the hakeijo that’s like 40-50k++ on pc anyway.

But they are right OP, if you can’t like do at least 5k telvar per run you either have to git gud or if not it’s easier to farm mats, motifs, furnishing, stealing to sell for gold and buy the rune from that.

But if you can get good telvar and just being killed when going home, sneak, just queue to cyrodiil, then queue back to imperial city.
    Avid reader of wes’-pts-diary[RIP]

NerfAS and Shill ruins everything

Skinny-meta-fake, graded D, and can’t explain the law of diminishing marginal returns.

I won’t post that Wes, I’ll get [snipped] for the last time

Revert this patch - Audens, 2022
  • Snow_White
    Snow_White
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm unlucky but for the past two days I have been ganked quite a lot. I also have decent HP (25k) and I'm decked in medium armor, however everyone seems to just be shredding through it.

Investing more time into getting PVP gear (which is fairly expensive) to only farm some runes it's overkill IMHO.

I’ve been killed a couple times by a group of three players that I’m pretty sure was farming bosses when they ran into me. Other than that, it’s been pretty quiet. I avoid the weekends and I don’t go upstairs unless I’m farming skyshards.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would beg to differ. The mobs are fairly challenging.

Additionally I have also stated another option of moving them into the regular Rune nodes.

So no, I do not want to earn them for free. Do you consider you levelled up your character for free? Did you start by leveling up in PVP?

The cost of farming Tel Var is the risk of PVP. Remove the risk and you are removing the cost. Putting the runes in normal nodes removes the cost. Their whole purpose of being locked behind Tel Var is to reward players who actually take the risk and farm Tel Var.

Leveling has nothing to do with anything.

Pay for the runes from players who spent time and took the risk to farm them or get better at pvp and farm Tel Var. There are and should be no other options.

What you are asking for, the removal of the PVP risk of losing Tel Var, is the equivalent of me asking to get Perfected Trial gear without having to actually do the vet trial. Doing the vet trial is the cost associated with earning perfected trial gear. Risking PVP encounters and losing Tel Var gains is the cost associated with activities in the Imperial City. If you don't like it, spend the gold to buy from players who do.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NerfSeige wrote: »
    jaws343 wrote: »

You misunderstood, it’s the hakeijo that’s like 40-50k++ on pc anyway.

But they are right OP, if you can’t like do at least 5k telvar per run you either have to git gud or if not it’s easier to farm mats, motifs, furnishing, stealing to sell for gold and buy the rune from that.

But if you can get good telvar and just being killed when going home, sneak, just queue to cyrodiil, then queue back to imperial city.

Yeah, I misread that, and it's only like 15K or so on Xbox. But there is also more gold on PC, so even if the price is "high" it is still relative to the gold available.
  • BlossomDead
    BlossomDead
    ✭✭✭✭
    How is there more gold on PC? There is gold for people who have it, I don't farm gold.

I usually get 5k and then port back using the stone. But I lose 3-5 time the amount to do that.

I do farm upstairs as well and try to keep a low profile.

Ridiculously cumbersome.

And I say have pointed out already: they could also move them into regular nodes. Another option would be lowering their Tel Var cost too. 5k a pop is fairly expensive.
    Edited by BlossomDead on December 1, 2021 3:24PM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is there more gold on PC? There is gold for people who have it, I don't farm gold.

I usually get 5k and then port back using the stone. But I lose 3-5 time the amount to do that.

I do farm upstairs as well and try to keep a low profile.

Ridiculously cumbersome.

And I say have pointed out already: they could also move them into regular nodes. Another option would be lowering their Tel Var cost too. 5k a pop is fairly expensive.

There have been countless threads explaining why prices on PC are much higher than prices on console. No real need to rehash that here.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The cost of runes reflects what the player base is willing to pay for it. Maybe look elsewhere to see if you can find a better price. However, the higher the price the more worthy the risk.

As I mentioned earlier, going into IC with a PvE build makes one an easy kill, and other players can see this just by looking at the character. Also, if the general trash mobs in IC are difficult to kill then other changes to the build will probably help Yes, there are more challenging NPCs in IC, but many are fairly easy.

In the end, we will continue to risk losing Tel Var when we die in IC. That is not going to change as it was made this way on purpose. Protect your Tel Var. Deposit it regularly.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They are too expensieve for what they are IMHO, so I prefer to farm them myself. The loss is just huge.
    The price for Tel Var goods is regulated by supply and demand. Please give PvPers their due.
    Needs a refresh.
    Because one person hates both farming or paying the gold? Hardly.
    I'm trying to farm 15k more Tel Var to buy 3 Hakeijo runes in IC and it's been an absolutely horrid experience so far farming the first 4 I required. I need to put in three times the amount of time I would need to because people farm you rather than mobs and it's usually a nightblade that stuns you to death with virtually 0 counterplay. This also for some reason bugs out my ultimate (DK - Take Flight) so I need to log-out and log in back again. It is extremely frustrating.
    It would be, if you're not a PvPer and you hate PvP, so you don't want to learn. Kind of the same as me not wanting to learn veteran trials or do writs on multiple characters every day to gold out trial jewelry. Not wanting to PvP is totally valid, but you don't get to ruin the unique dynamics of IC, which many of us like, because of it.

The game has a healthy trading system so you need only play the content you want to play. Playing buggy af New World really drove this home to me. At least the economy in ESO is functioning. Use it! The game is huge. You don't have to do everything.

As to nightblades having near-zero counterplay, this is only true if you are a beginner. That said, Leap not functioning is unfortunate, a long-standing bug in IC and other content that has protected platforms. Don't use Leap on or possibly while pointing at those platforms, because then the game thinks you're doing something illegal and disables it (all gap closers, I think). You don't have to log out. You can just unslot and reslot the skill. It is frustrating, though. Be prepared to use your second ultimate, such as Corrosive Armor, instead.

Making good Tel Var is pretty "seasonal". Few people carry much. A few thousand at most. You don't get that many from killing players. Although there is (some) safety in numbers you won't get much from going with a big boss farming group either. What you really want is to lead a boss into a building and solo it while having 1K Tel Var already and most of the flags are owned by your faction. Then you crouch, queue for a Cyro campaign, port back to IC (you'll land in the base) and bank. This is the "seasonal" part. You'll only take a lot of Tel Var out of IC, if you're there often and you like it. Get Miat's addon (on PC) to permanently display the status of the flags. The ideal time to try and segregate a boss is when your faction is busy taking the last one or two flags and you leapfrog their subsequent farming. Selfish, but if you need Tel Var in a hurry...

The easiest way to keep your Tel Var is arguably by playing a cloaking nightblade yourself and avoid unnecessary or unwanted fighting. Magicka nightblade with good cloak sustain is ideal, because cloak sheds aggro from NPCs and hides you from players more effectively than crouch. Still requires experience, but as a long-time resident of IC I switched from a stam DK to a magblade long ago for exactly this reason. Nowadays I play multiple classes, but if I just want to bring Tel Var home, I take the magblade. There are probably some other options, such as sorcs or being a stage 4 vamp for the sprint passive. A plain old DK, though, can be cornered by an enemy group or, if not killed, then continuously griefed by a single enemy player.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Snow_White wrote: »

25K is not decent. It is low. I can make that work, but PvP is what I do. Most PvPers have 30K+. Medium armor is fair enough, if you are experienced and make good use of dodge rolls. Otherwise it is squishy.
    So all Divines then? No Impen, no Well-Fitted? Yeah, you'll die. You're probably dying for lack of experience, because experience is the most important thing, but those stats aren't helping.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
  • BlossomDead
    BlossomDead
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    The cost of runes reflects what the player base is willing to pay for it. Maybe look elsewhere to see if you can find a better price. However, the higher the price the more worthy the risk.

As I mentioned earlier, going into IC with a PvE build makes one an easy kill, and other players can see this just by looking at the character. Also, if the general trash mobs in IC are difficult to kill then other changes to the build will probably help Yes, there are more challenging NPCs in IC, but many are fairly easy.

In the end, we will continue to risk losing Tel Var when we die in IC. That is not going to change as it was made this way on purpose. Protect your Tel Var. Deposit it regularly.

Wait a second. Can you store it somewhere? xD (other than buying)

I was thinking that might have been a useful feature, but didn't look yet.

Edit: Ok this saved my life. Wasn't aware you can actually deposit Tel Var. This makes things WAY easier.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Just for reference: I am using one of Alcast's builds for my PVE DK so I thought it should be fairly decent, at least I can crush the IC mobs easily enough. But definitely does not do much against other player. I'm a pinata.
    Edited by BlossomDead on December 1, 2021 3:45PM
  • BlossomDead
    BlossomDead
    ✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    The price for Tel Var goods is regulated by supply and demand. Please give PvPers their due.
    Needs a refresh.
    It would be, if you're not a PvPer and you hate PvP, so you don't want to learn. Kind of the same as me not wanting to learn veteran trials or do writs on multiple characters every day to gold out trial jewelry. Not wanting to PvP is totally valid, but you don't get to ruin the unique dynamics of IC, which many of us like, because of it.

The game has a healthy trading system so you need only play the content you want to play. Playing buggy af New World really drove this home to me. At least the economy in ESO is functioning. Use it! The game is huge. You don't have to do everything.

As to nightblades having near-zero counterplay, this is only true if you are a beginner. That said, Leap not functioning is unfortunate, a long-standing bug in IC and other content that has protected platforms. Don't use Leap on or possibly while pointing at those platforms, because then the game thinks you're doing something illegal and disables it (all gap closers, I think). You don't have to log out. You can just unslot and reslot the skill. It is frustrating, though. Be prepared to use your second ultimate, such as Corrosive Armor, instead.

Making good Tel Var is pretty "seasonal". Few people carry much. A few thousand at most. You don't get that many from killing players. Although there is (some) safety in numbers you won't get much from going with a big boss farming group either. What you really want is to lead a boss into a building and solo it while having 1K Tel Var already and most of the flags are owned by your faction. Then you crouch, queue for a Cyro campaign, port back to IC (you'll land in the base) and bank. This is the "seasonal" part. You'll only take a lot of Tel Var out of IC, if you're there often and you like it. Get Miat's addon (on PC) to permanently display the status of the flags. The ideal time to try and segregate a boss is when your faction is busy taking the last one or two flags and you leapfrog their subsequent farming. Selfish, but if you need Tel Var in a hurry...

The easiest way to keep your Tel Var is arguably by playing a cloaking nightblade yourself and avoid unnecessary or unwanted fighting. Magicka nightblade with good cloak sustain is ideal, because cloak sheds aggro from NPCs and hides you from players more effectively than crouch. Still requires experience, but as a long-time resident of IC I switched from a stam DK to a magblade long ago for exactly this reason. Nowadays I play multiple classes, but if I just want to bring Tel Var home, I take the magblade. There are probably some other options, such as sorcs or being a stage 4 vamp for the sprint passive. A plain old DK, though, can be cornered by an enemy group or, if not killed, then continuously griefed by a single enemy player.

Thanks, I do not hate PVP, but it just seems a bit too taxing for me. Losing half of your Tel Var upon death.

I am leveling up a NB, but as with things in MMOs, slowly coming up.

Wasn;t aware I can store Tel Var in my bank and this makes things easier.
  • milllaurie
    milllaurie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Needs a refresh.

Thanks, I do not hate PVP, but it just seems a bit too taxing for me. Losing half of your Tel Var upon death.

If you are on PC EU @BlossomDead , I could give you a few tips about pvp. It is super fun when you get into it more 😉
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol at calling IC pvp.

We wish haha.

Just go to a dead campaign and kill 3 or 4 bosses and you can buy all your hakeijos.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Needs a refresh.

@BlossomDead don't hate the system, strive to understand it. I think you've sussed that you can bank them now which helps..

TelVar loss used to be way higher to players they changed it to equal mobs and player kills and actually the risk reward of losing 80% to a PvP ki used to a buzz. If the risk was removed the zone would be dead.

You don't need a PvP setup persay. Take a high DPS PvE setup. You can earn 14k in ONE KILL.

You need to clear the zone flags to increase the TV haul, then carry enough to have a good multiplier. Ideally 10k for 4 X

If you then solo a zone boss you can get up to 14k..

If that's a challenge pair up with a mate, you'll only get 6/7k each but still it really won't take long.

A high DPS PvE setup, when Imperial City is quiet and you can clear the full circle in 30-40mins and earn 3 figures worth.

What platform / region are you? I'm happy to help. Or just send you the hakeiejo if you are Xbox EU as I have a load .

@BlossomDead
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    You don't need a PvP setup persay. Take a high DPS PvE setup. You can earn 14k in ONE KILL.

You need to clear the zone flags to increase the TV haul, then carry enough to have a good multiplier. Ideally 10k for 4 X

If you then solo a zone boss you can get up to 14k..

If that's a challenge pair up with a mate, you'll only get 6/7k each but still it really won't take long.

A high DPS PvE setup, when Imperial City is quiet and you can clear the full circle in 30-40mins and earn 3 figures worth
    Speaking for PC EU, this is ancient history. Yes, it's technically still possible, however since IC became it's own campaign it is far too busy for a single person or a duo to do a full run undisturbed, even at 3am. People like to complain that no one goes to IC. This is, in fact, not true when you compare it to before IC became it's own campaign.

You can make 13.7K from a single boss under ideal conditions. You will indeed be quickest with a full on squishy PvE DD build, something like 1 1/2 to 2 minutes solo. I would only recommend that if you have experience with boss mechanics. Is it necessary or a good idea to run such a build? Nope. At best it is a double-edged sword as far as PvP. On the one hand you will minimise the risk of encountering it by being fast. You may even kill bad players quickly. On the other hand a decent PvPer will kill you. If you have little PvP experience, most people will kill you. Bringing 10K Tel Var with you to farm a boss is crazy in that case. I personally only take 1K and I'm a PvPer. There is a set called Imperial Physique which gives you crazy good stats for carrying 10K+ Tel Var, but it also marks you to enemy players with a prominent blue beam on top of you. This used to be common. I rarely see it anymore.
  • BlossomDead
    BlossomDead
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. Well noted.

I've managed to farm the remaining 15k Tel Var in around 4 hours, but whenever I died I minimized the loss because most of it was stored in the bank.

I ended up doing 2k-3k runs, always starting with 100 TV for the 2x boost.

As suggested I'll probably run my NB (that is designed for stealing) in IC too, since I sort of like the area and I'll probably enjoy it more if I can feel less useless.
    Edited by BlossomDead on December 3, 2021 1:42PM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

Wait a second. Can you store it somewhere? xD (other than buying)

I was thinking that might have been a useful feature, but didn't look yet.

Edit: Ok this saved my life. Wasn't aware you can actually deposit Tel Var. This makes things WAY easier.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Just for reference: I am using one of Alcast's builds for my PVE DK so I thought it should be fairly decent, at least I can crush the IC mobs easily enough. But definitely does not do much against other player. I'm a pinata.

Glad this helped.

and at least you understand why you die so easily. Both gear and CP make a difference in survival in PvP.