The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

NPC Mages hitting through walls and rock?

RicAlmighty
RicAlmighty
✭✭✭✭✭
Is this supposed to happen or is it just a Bethesda bug? I’ve had enemy Mages strikes go right through walls and cliffsides and still hit me. If this is intentional it seems ridiculous. If this is a bug, then maybe they should fix it?
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Intentional to prevent the common player tactic of sniping enemies from where they can't hit you back.

They won't initially see you through walls -- but once engaged in combat NPC attacks ignore most geometry.

Player attacks generally are blocked by terrain, which is important in PvP.
    PC NA
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's to prevent geometry exploiting, however the NPCs still try to maneuver to get line of sight on you, but only after their initial attacks have been cast.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they can see you to target you the attack will follow you even if you find cover. This is standard MMO practice. Same goes for NPCs following you halfway across the map until you turn around and hit them. Then they become invincible and run away.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Same goes for NPCs following you halfway across the map until you turn around and hit them. Then they become invincible and run away.

Ok now I'm not sure *that one* is standard :p
    PC NA
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »
    Same goes for NPCs following you halfway across the map until you turn around and hit them. Then they become invincible and run away.

Ok now I'm not sure *that one* is standard :p

In ESO it is! :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Guess that wouldn't make it a standard then...
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • RicAlmighty
    RicAlmighty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they can see you to target you the attack will follow you even if you find cover. This is standard MMO practice. Same goes for NPCs following you halfway across the map until you turn around and hit them. Then they become invincible and run away.

It blows my mind that people are ok with this and just accept it. Seriously.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume it's to keep players from cheesing NPCs the way players cheese other players in pvp. 😆

Honestly every MMO I've ever played operated like this.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I assume it's to keep players from cheesing NPCs the way players cheese other players in pvp. 😆

Honestly every MMO I've ever played operated like this.

I always thought it has something to do with server-client differences in positioning.

But yes, it can be annoying. Just like getting stunnned before the animation even visualises the enemy fully performing the strike, dying even if you just rolled out of red, being hit way outside of range.
    Bonus points for the rediculous snares most mobs gift you when you pass them.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You haven't lived until you ride by an enemy resource in Cyro, agro the mage guard, ride off into the sunset, get hit with a fireball a 100 meters away and get knocked off your mount.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i remember a tank in Wayrest Sewers, who grab like half of dungeon after first boss... Mobs not only fired through walls - they ran through them.