Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

CROSSFIRE/SLI FullScreen FIX

iendgameeb17_ESO
Hello,

I've written small utility which forces ESO be rendered in fullscreen mode. I've successfully tested it on my Windows8 x64, with crossfire enabled and I was able to ahieve up to 60% performance boost.

How to use:
1) Download and extract atached archieve in folder where eso.exe resides (The Elder Scrolls Online EU\game\client for me). You'll find 4 new files added:
esofullscreen.exe
esofullscreen_d3d9.dll
license.txt
fullscreen.bat
2) Go to Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\liveeu and change
SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11" to SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D9" in UserSettings.txt
3) Launch fullscreen.bat and enjoy working CF/SLI :)

MSI Afterburner overlay must be disabled before starting injector

P.S.
At current moment solution works only with D3D9, so you've to change ESO settings to force D3D9 rendering.
I've plans to implement fullscreen for DX11, but I'm limited on time atm.

I would appreciate any help to test this utility on various configurations.
Confirmed FPS boost on Windows 8

P.P.S
Any ingame gold donations are appreciated ^^ (@iendgame/Loviatar)
Edited by iendgameeb17_ESO on April 29, 2014 3:57PM
  • D34thly
    D34thly
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno I know you were able to get a definitive answer on the FoV third party software I'm hoping we can do the same here. I know you folks are working hard on the bugs and eventually FoV and Real Fullscreen, but it can't come soon enough! I for one can hardly play the game with my system and have two 280x's begging to be used. I'm not sure whats going on with my system, but this could really help. Virus scan here goo.gl/nFN5eF
    Blacklist DC NA
    Iron Lotus DC NA
  • iendgameeb17_ESO
    Utility uses injection algorithm (there is just no other way to force fullscreen w/o help from devs), so yes, some antiviruses may interpret it as virus/injector or smth.
    Edited by iendgameeb17_ESO on April 29, 2014 12:06PM
  • Viper_Infinity
    This does not work. Tested exactly like it said above. No FPS increase, it actually decreased my FPS because of the DX9. Tested with MSI Afterburner and it showed my second gpu at 0% for my 30 second tests.
  • iendgameeb17_ESO
    This does not work. Tested exactly like it said above. No FPS increase, it actually decreased my FPS because of the DX9. Tested with MSI Afterburner and it showed my second gpu at 0% for my 30 second tests.
    Have you enabled Crossfire in driver settings? Have you noticed that game comes really fullscreen? I mean when you are pressing windows key, does game window minimize or is it still behind other windows?

• D34thly
    D34thly
    ✭✭
    I don't see how it would decrease your FPS in DX9 considering all the goodies would be taken away, but ok.. lol Anything that injects into a MMO client is iffy to me I tend to wait and see to make sure its ok to use.
    Blacklist DC NA
    Iron Lotus DC NA
  • Viper_Infinity
    Sorry I should clarify. I am using SLI with two Nvidia GTS 450's. The title says Crossfire/SLI so I tried it with no success. Maybe it's just for Crossfire. Also DX9 and DX11 work in different ways depending on your GPU. One certain GPU may render DX9 better than DX11 and vice versa.
  • iendgameeb17_ESO
    Sorry I should clarify. I am using SLI with two Nvidia GTS 450's. The title says Crossfire/SLI so I tried it with no success. Maybe it's just for Crossfire. Also DX9 and DX11 work in different ways depending on your GPU. One certain GPU may render DX9 better than DX11 and vice versa.
    Ok, thx, but what about window itself? Have you noticed that game comes really fullscreen? I mean when you are pressing windows key, does game window minimize or is it still behind other windows?

• Viper_Infinity
    When I press the window key it looks like it minimizes into my taskbar and then when click on it maximizes. It's like full screen window mode but without the feature of it staying present at all times.
  • iendgameeb17_ESO
    Hm, so fullscreen works, than problem may come from nvidia itself. I've not tested on SLI, but in AMD control panel there is an option to enable/diable crossfire for specific appliaction, maybe nvidia contains the same, and by default SLI is disabled for ESO? You should also try to set various SLI modes to see if any performance difference, AFR was working best for me on 7970+280x in CF
    Edited by iendgameeb17_ESO on April 29, 2014 1:10PM
  • D34thly
    D34thly
    ✭✭
    When do you expect to have a working dx11 version btw?
    Blacklist DC NA
    Iron Lotus DC NA
  • iendgameeb17_ESO
    D34thly wrote: »
    When do you expect to have a working dx11 version btw?
    From 1 till 4 May (if it is achievable ofc, there was some tricky things with DX9). The reason why I've choosen DX9 first, cause I'm using 1.4 SweetFX which doesn't work on DX11

Edited by iendgameeb17_ESO on April 29, 2014 1:25PM
  • D34thly
    D34thly
    ✭✭
    Well don't let sweetfx hold it back from the rest of us! :p I hope you can get it done though. My System runs like utter *** on this game for some reason (I know intel run alot better, but I seriously shouldn't see such a huge diffrence).
    Blacklist DC NA
    Iron Lotus DC NA
  • iendgameeb17_ESO
    Well don't let sweetfx hold it back from the rest of us! :p I hope you can get it done though. My System runs like utter *** on this game for some reason (I know intel run alot better, but I seriously shouldn't see such a huge diffrence).
    There is actually almost no difference between dx9 and dx11 pictures. At least I was not able to see many
    Edited by iendgameeb17_ESO on April 29, 2014 1:48PM
  • mikescchen
    Just tried, no luck :(
    The game still shows as borderless window, pressing windows key causes it become like desktop lol
    It's running as DX9 as the MSI afterburner OSD shows.
    In this case, only the 1st GPU works, and the frame rate drops a little.

FYI:
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Catalyst 14.4, crossfire enabled with "Enable AMD CrossFireX for applications that have no associated application profile"
    AMD FX-6350, OC to 4.5GHz / Vcore 1.415V
    MSI 7850 PowerEdition OC, 950/1200MHz x2
  • mikescchen
    Hmm, maybe the afterburner interferes with the injector?
    I remember to have some problem using SweetFX and afterburner together in Skyrim... will try this later.
  • mikescchen
    Solution found.
    The MSI afterburner DO interferes with the injector, if the afterburner runs before the ESO.
    CrossfireX works with the injector if the afterburner runs AFTER the ESO.
    FYI!
  • iendgameeb17_ESO
    Thanks for info! So do you have overlay enabled in afterburner? I was using afterburner to monitor GPU load and haven't seen any issues with my injector(I was not using afterburner overlay). BTW, how much fps increase do you have?
    Edited by iendgameeb17_ESO on April 29, 2014 2:55PM
  • D34thly
    D34thly
    ✭✭
    Ok I tried this and can also say fullscreen IS working, but crossfire is not even with profile set as AFR Friendly. Windows 7 x64 getting around 40-30 usage same or worse fps.
    Edited by D34thly on April 29, 2014 2:59PM
    Blacklist DC NA
    Iron Lotus DC NA
  • iendgameeb17_ESO
    I guess there never will be 80-100% performance boost using this way. Could you try to experiment with profiles? I was able to achieve at least 5 fps boost on worst scenarios(default checkerboard profile), and at least 10 fps (avg was 15) for AFR profile(I'm using 2560*1440)
    Edited by iendgameeb17_ESO on April 29, 2014 3:17PM
  • mikescchen
    I have the afterburner overlay enabled.
    I agree with D34thly that the crossfire benefit is small, but exists.
    My test goes as:
    1920x1080, all options on and set to high, view distance 60.
    Looking south from Northpoint gate in rainy day.
    The numbers are from afterburner OSD.

MSI 7850 PowerEdition OC @ 950/1200MHz x2, CCC 14.4

Without injector: ~40FPS, GPU1 80% usage
    With injector, using default CCC option: ~50FPS, 85% x2
    With injector, using custom ESO profile, 1x1 optimize: ~50FPS, 50% x2
    With injector, using custom ESO profile, AFR friendly: ~55FPS, 50% x2
    (the rain in game stops, not sure about framerate impact)

I'll stay with the 1x1 setting for now. Great works for the injector!

Edited by mikescchen on April 29, 2014 4:19PM
  • D34thly
    D34thly
    ✭✭
    @ 1080p everything on ultra otherwise I wouldn't be able to see fps difference really. Tried all crossfire profiles each resulted in no fps gain at all even loss at some point. I was hovering at 40fps without this and 35-40 with. When I opened afterburner I was getting 43% load on both cards.

AMD 8350
    Asus 990FX Sabertooth
    Powercolor 280x's crossfired
    Edited by D34thly on April 29, 2014 3:22PM
    Blacklist DC NA
    Iron Lotus DC NA
  • iendgameeb17_ESO
    @ 1080p everything on ultra otherwise I wouldn't be able to see fps difference really. Tried all crossfire profiles each resulted in no fps gain at all even loss at some point. I was hovering at 40fps without this and 35-40 with. When I opened afterburner I was getting 43% load on both cards.

AMD 8350
    Asus 990FX Sabertooth
    Powercolor 280x's crossfired
    Hm it is either Windows7, either AMD, either DX9 issue. Could you please try to update to Catalyst 14.4? (I also was testing on 14.4)
  • mikescchen
    Hey iendgame are you in EU or NA server?
    The post office says unknown user for the mail lol
  • D34thly
    D34thly
    ✭✭
    I'm using 14.4
    Blacklist DC NA
    Iron Lotus DC NA
  • iendgameeb17_ESO
    mikescchen wrote: »
    I'm at EU
  • iendgameeb17_ESO
    I'm using 14.4
    Than I guess additional testing needs to be done on Win7, unfortunately I've no one :(. I hope that DX11 render will work better with CF on Win7
  • mikescchen
    Hmmm, didn't DX11 add features not performance?
    DX11 only gain performance when some effect that use complex shader in DX9, AFAIK.
    Anyway, if a DX11 injector is avaliable, I'll be happy to tryout (when it rains again in Northpoint again lol)
  • mikescchen
    mikescchen wrote: »
    I'm at EU
    Ah too bad I was mailing some in-game coin, but I'm in NA :open_mouth:
  • Kahlar
    Kahlar
    sorry, this 'fix' does not work for most SLI users...
    maybe best for crossfire?

there IS a fix for SLI posted a couple weeks ago in ESO forums:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/77002/enable-sli-including-more-then-20fps-temp-fix/p1

1. in nvidia control panel set ESO profile to 'AFR2'
    2. in UserSettings.txt set GPUSmoothingFrames from '10' to '0'
    (see link above for details)

This will enable full screen SLI without fps limit.

however.... screen tearing/micro stutter becomes a problem...

"screen tearing/micro stutter fix"

1. Win 7 Aero Desktop must be enabled.
    2. MUST enable vsync in the ESO video options.

(nvidia conrol panel vsync won't work until ESO enables true full screen)

IMPORTANT: ESO vsync requires Win 7 Aero Desktop enabled! without Aero enabled vsync does not work properly in ESO. this is because ESO is not true full screen, still a form of 'windowed mode' sharing desktop resources.
    i4770K Intel Quad Core @ 3.6Ghz| 8gig 2400Mhz Geil Trident X
    690GTX EVGA | 120gig Corsair Neutron GTX
    Titanium Pro Fatality pcie x4 Creative | Maximus Gene VI Asus
    1200 Watt Corsair | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    FioS 75MBs fiber optic internet
  • iendgameeb17_ESO
    Well, this fix implements fullscreen feature which is missing in ESO. Anything more is up to Nvidia/AMD drivers. Fullscreen feature is a MUST for CF to work, but additional steps have to be done in CCC, so I guess for Nvidia the same