The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Healing Dungeons

Stx
Stx
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Hello all,

I've been getting into healing dungeons recently. Mainly normals and base game veteran pledges.

I was wondering if for dungeon content it would be better to build my character to deal as much damage as possible with a few heals slotted to keep the group alive, or if it's worth it to build for group buffs and support.

I'm pretty sure for normal dungeons I don't need to buff the group so much as just burn stuff down, but for harder vet dungeons is it better to go with a traditional healer build or would my personal dps contributions actually outweigh buffing the other dps with combat prayer etc.
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure for normal dungeons I don't need to buff the group so much as just burn stuff down, but for harder vet dungeons is it better to go with a traditional healer build.
    You just answered your own question. B)

But anyways, imho, 'normal' dungeons are so easy that it doesn't even matter the role. Simply play whichever you feel like playing, since it's your $ub & all. (or whichever you're most confident/comfortable playing)

As for VET dungeons, well yeah that's a different ballgame of course. Sorta also depends upon your specific build, weapon type, & armor-sets too, no?

Regardless, straight-up full healers are a different breed. I know cuz i been one since 2013 beta and yet i'm STILL tweaking my methods & such (to better help VET groups) . That said, lately i've been doing the supposedly "wrong!" method of hybrid-healer and it's working out pretty well. However, it also requires 100% of my RL focus & skill (particularly with also maintaining debuff application within certain mechanic-heavy boss fights) .
    Edited by NeeScrolls on November 28, 2021 8:06PM
  • Ksariyu
    Ksariyu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I can't really help you here, but I will be watching this thread to see if you get anything. I've been pondering the same thing myself lately, as I find the limitations of "support sets" to be excessively restrictive.

What I can say is that the buffs typically applied by supports in the past are now a bit more available to DPS players, and in ways that don't require them to gimp their own damage. Things like Minor Berserk, which was an essential healer buff, is now available from Kinra's Wrath, which a lot of DPS are wearing for the Major Berserk it also supplies. Similarly, Minor Magickasteal is less essential now that certain Mag DPS can basically keep it up 100% through the new Magic Damage status effect.

So far I've had pretty good success in vet dungeons using a hybrid build, but that just may be me being carried.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be a buff bot damage dealer. Spell Power Cure needs overhealing to apply the damage boost so having enough heals to keep people topped off is enough. Also SPC boosts your own healing and DPS so having it is amazing! If you've done Cloudrest the Olorime set does the same thing but applies the buff as a ground effect.
    Edited by Vevvev on November 28, 2021 11:07PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For most Dungeons you can have a healing bar and a dps bar. Just make sure you have enough magic to do the healing you need if things get Janky. For the harder places, swap some of the DPS for Buff Skills.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SPC + Powerful Assault + Magma Incarnate and you buff team damage by 950. Just slot Echoing Vigor + 4 DD skills, 1 bar healer.
  • Lintashi
    Lintashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In normal dungeons I go with my damage build, but slot atleast 3 heals, (1 aoe, 1 hot, 1 emergency heal), sometimes add debuff or buff depending on situation. In my personal experience, normal dungeons do not require buffs or debuffs, because either everything gets melted in a second, or if it is not, it means group members will not be able to utilize buffs and debuffs to full potential anyway. But more damage in normal dungeons can make you ski[p all mechanics that may require healing, and easily compensate lack of buffs/debuffs. In vet dungeons, it is always full healer build, and it depends on bosses and on your group. Some bosses need extra heals, some need frequent interrupts, others purging, some are done better, when even healer adds atleast some damage, and with some, just doing buffs and debuffs is almost enough. Currently I always go with good damage dealers, so my buffs/debuffs are helping them way more, than my meager damage contribution ever could, but in groups with extremely weak damage, even healer should contribute something to damage, just to get through.
  • WraithShadow13
    WraithShadow13
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had such a huge issue with healing in this game. Most normal dungeons, i'm fine as is, with no debuffs. Others, i have some dps that stands in every aoe and screams at me because he's dying every two seconds. Other times, i've tanked in vet and the dps THERE is screaming at me because i'm not debuffing the enemy for them.

I haven't really seen anywhere in the game that specifically states what all the healer and tank or dps need to do, outside of that basic concept, so it's just a weird and random blind spot, often made unfun by people who just want to yell at you because you're not playing the specific way they want you to, even though they didn't say it.

As such, just build your healers how you think they would be most useful and most fun to play. If you have a steady group for these things, build to fill out the team, helping where you need.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both have a place.

Pug Vs organised group is the question. Pug generally I roll with some DPS as it's generally poor.

Organised groups, you can plan and trust so can go full heal / buff.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP