The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Low Population Bonus in Cyrodiil

Unknown_Redemption
Unknown_Redemption
✭✭✭✭✭
Am I missing something? There is about 40 AD running around and I only see 5 DC with me, yet they get the bonus? unknown.png
  • Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, i make a ticket about this almost every day in game. It doesn't work right. Nice map though, but still it is unfair that the low population bonus nowdays never is on the faction with the lowest population. I don't know if it is bugged or have players learned how to cheat.
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its seems like a cheat, honestly. Ive seen AD lose low population and then get it back about 5minutes later. Someone said in zone that they all log out.
  • doesurmindglow
    doesurmindglow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run a guild on AD and I've seen this a lot too. We'll usually notice it when suddenly a resource counts for twice the usual AP, and then five minutes later, half that. It's absolutely bugged and players seem to be mostly in the dark regarding how the bonus is evaluated, what the populations actually mean in terms of people, how often it is assessed or awarded. We notice certain behaviors anecdotally, ie. "it looks like it updates every half hour" and those are rarely consistent observations that can be relied upon.

I also don't think it should ever be awarded to a faction that controls 50% or more of the map, as in your screenshot. It makes little sense to overcorrect a "disadvantage" that isn't actually disadvantageous. Truthfully I don't think low pop bonus should apply to score at all, I'd prefer it merely buff the AP of individual players and push a notification to the lowpop faction homed in that campaign that they could currently earn double AP, just as you can set it to provide notifications of scroll movements etc.

I can assure you the faction doesn't log out en masse, unless, of course, they're losing and salty about it. It is absolutely impossible, to a level that is beyond aggravating, to get AD to do anything that coordinated or strategic. At best, mindless, braindead zerging of usually unnecessary or unhelpful objectives is about as organized as it tends to get. That said I guess it is plausible people will log off if there are no fights left to be had. Again, I really think the underdog bonuses should have a way of checking to see if the faction receiving them is, actually, the underdog at the time they're awarded.
    Guildmaster : The Wild Hunt (formerly Aka Baka) : AD PC/NA
  • Vizirith
    Vizirith
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah right now in grey host ad and ep poplocked, dc 2 bars. Yet ad gets low pop instead of dc...
  • AJones43865
    AJones43865
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's an unfortunate side effect of reducing the population caps to about 75 players/faction. They radically lowered the population cap, but have not adjusted the low pop algorithm in any way.

And yes, this is structural unfairness built into the game at this point so long as this continued issue remains unresolved.
  • EmperorIl
    EmperorIl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil is so broken in so many ways it is absurd. ZOS is doing what about it?
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess you play on PC NA, on PC EU it's DC who gets the low pop bonus all the time but yeah, it works here the same way.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »
    I guess you play on PC NA, on PC EU it's DC who gets the low pop bonus all the time but yeah, it works here the same way.

PS4NA it’s ALWAYS DC that gets the bonus. Never AD
  • AJones43865
    AJones43865
    ✭✭✭✭

On PC NA it's almost always DC that gets the bonus too. OP just happened to do screen shot when AD was going bananas. (yep, pun intended)

For about six months now it's seemed like DC on PC NA have been playing to maximize their low pop bonus. Last week there were three days out of four that DC moved to first place on their low population bonus alone.

I understand the aim of the low pop bonus, but the way it's working now is just plain broken and unfair.
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On PC NA it's almost always DC that gets the bonus too. OP just happened to do screen shot when AD was going bananas. (yep, pun intended)

For about six months now it's seemed like DC on PC NA have been playing to maximize their low pop bonus. Last week there were three days out of four that DC moved to first place on their low population bonus alone.

I understand the aim of the low pop bonus, but the way it's working now is just plain broken and unfair.

Low pop bonus fails for a number of reasons. Besides not going to the teams that are actually experiencing low populations, it doesn’t even serve as an incentive. There is no notification that Low Pop is going on anywhere to help nudge you to Cyrodiil. If you know about the symbols then maybe you decipher them and go. But for the casual player? They’ll never know it’s happening nor what it does for them.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Low pop bonus fails for a number of reasons. Besides not going to the teams that are actually experiencing low populations, it doesn’t even serve as an incentive. There is no notification that Low Pop is going on anywhere to help nudge you to Cyrodiil. If you know about the symbols then maybe you decipher them and go. But for the casual player? They’ll never know it’s happening nor what it does for them.

We got low pop today, but there were so few players that we couldn't do anything, and got zerged down at every keep and resource. I ended up doing town quests and Fighters Guild bounty quests for double AP until more people logged in, which of course removed the low pop bonus.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

We got low pop today, but there were so few players that we couldn't do anything, and got zerged down at every keep and resource. I ended up doing town quests and Fighters Guild bounty quests for double AP until more people logged in, which of course removed the low pop bonus.

Exactly. Instead of adding players or a power bonus to the fight all it does is serve as a morale booster for those willing to engage. The problem of course is that in no way serves to balance things out. The outnumbered faction is unlikely to band together let alone start taking keeps now. If anything they go around taking resources which flip back and forth.

Outside of MidYear Mayhem events Low Pop is completely ineffective.
  • sbialkow
    sbialkow
    Low population bonus may be triggered by having a few guilds-full going into delves at the appropriate time. I haven’t seen this myself but some guild mates say they see AD doing this in Gray Host.
    Light armored MagBlade, Mag Templar (healer), MagSorc, Hybrid DK, MagDen, and MagCro.
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EmperorIl wrote: »
    Cyrodiil is so broken in so many ways it is absurd. ZOS is doing what about it?

Don't worry, I'm sure ZOS is working on a lag emote to go along with the catapult emote we got PVP. They are fighting hard to fix these problems!
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sure is broken atm. Yesterday, all 3 factions were pop-locked, AD had Emp, the hammer, all ring keeps & the low pop bonus! No shade on AD though... it happens to all the factions.

I doubt it is being manipulated by guilds... though I could well be wrong. I think it just got broken the last time ZOS changed the population caps. (also just speculation by me).
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • Kordai
    Kordai
    ✭✭✭
    It's still broken. Highest pop faction got low pop...
  • SerasWhip
    SerasWhip
    ✭✭✭✭
    Am I missing something? There is about 40 AD running around and I only see 5 DC with me, yet they get the bonus? unknown.png

The only thing bothering me more than the low pop bonus feature is that the way ad placed those scrolls on emp keeps
  • Call_of_Red_Mountain
    Call_of_Red_Mountain
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same on console. AD with 2-3 bars and low pop.

Zos, please... fix it.
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    just make a new rule :
    when you have your home keeps + emp, your faction cant have low population bonus.

seems legit
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • Exeter411
    Exeter411
    ✭✭✭
    I always assumed it was because dc and ep work together in Grayhost, they're counted as one population, so ad gets low pop. /s
  • sbam66
    sbam66
    ✭✭
    U guys do know how scoring & the bonus works right? I don’t think it has to do with population but rather the scoreboard
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    sbam66 wrote: »
    U guys do know how scoring & the bonus works right? I don’t think it has to do with population but rather the scoreboard

there is low pop bonus, and low score bonus. 2 different things.
    Also, a faction with low pop but 1st in score cant have low pop bonus
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    - since april.2014
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    low pop bonus totally broken and has been for some time. Regularly exploited by AD too (log out/in trick).

Any acknowledgement/action happening from ZoS ?
  • Indigogo
    Indigogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tried pinging Kevin in another post. Hopefully we get a reply during work hours.

As I said in the other thread, if this was happening in a trial, it would've been fixed by now and anyone profiting from a bug/exploit would be banned in an instant. What's the difference in looting a boss you used an exploit on, and earning double ap while under the influence of a low pop that is bugged/induced?

When this broken low pop kicks in on alliances with numbers and map control, they should be living in fear that taking stuff will get them banned.

Dumb double standards.
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really wish the additionals campaign will leave with update 33, because all people are split in empty campaign making lowpop abuse like said before.
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    - since april.2014
  • doabhi
    doabhi
    ✭✭✭
    Since my last post got deleted i'm just going to write this.

the finger pointing at AD for cheating is getting kinda childish and toxic, people have lives outside of the game too, nobody is trying to abuse the low pop bonus, it is not something we have control over. Is the system broken? Probably, Are factions exploiting it on purpose? that's for ZOS to decide, but the answer from what i've seen on my side of the 3 banners is no.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Xarc wrote: »
    just make a new rule :
    when you have your home keeps + emp, your faction cant have low population bonus.

seems legit
    No it doesn't, because having Emp and your Home Keeps has nothing to do with low pop bonus. Punishing people for what they have because of something completely unrelated that you don't like doesn't solve anything. If an Alliance has their Emp online and can rally enough to keep their Home Keeps despite being at a population advantage, why should they be punished? It doesn't make any sense when the two things have nothing to do with each other.
    Indigogo wrote: »
    I've tried pinging Kevin in another post. Hopefully we get a reply during work hours.

As I said in the other thread, if this was happening in a trial, it would've been fixed by now and anyone profiting from a bug/exploit would be banned in an instant. What's the difference in looting a boss you used an exploit on, and earning double ap while under the influence of a low pop that is bugged/induced?

When this broken low pop kicks in on alliances with numbers and map control, they should be living in fear that taking stuff will get them banned.

Dumb double standards.
    You're trying to use double standards as an excuse when that's not the same thing here. When people use exploits in trials or dungeons it's usually something specific that needs to be done, and usually only the people exploiting get into trouble. You're trying to claim that everyone getting low pop bonus should be punished because they're all exploiting, which implies every single person in an Alliance getting low pop is purposely taking part in whatever exploit you all THINK is happening. What exactly do you expect low pop Alliances to do? Just...not play? How is that healthy for PvP at all?

There's a huge difference between purposefully and actively using and taking advantage of an exploit, and not being able to help getting rewarded because the game is broken and there's literally nothing you can do to avoid the "exploit" short of not playing the bugged content. I'm not sure how you think this is a double standard because the two situations are completely different.

And also, people have still provided no actual proof of this exploit other than anecdotal evidence, which proves nothing. And again, if it's so easy to do, why isn't this exploit being done across the board? It's nothing more than a conspiracy theory and reminds me of all the rumors involving pinions at Dolmens and getting Generals to spawn that people believed years ago. Can't we just accept that the low pop bonus is broken instead of needing to resort to calling other players cheaters?
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I can assure you the faction doesn't log out en masse, unless, of course, they're losing and salty about it. It is absolutely impossible, to a level that is beyond aggravating, to get AD to do anything that coordinated or strategic. At best, mindless, braindead zerging of usually unnecessary or unhelpful objectives is about as organized as it tends to get. That said I guess it is plausible people will log off if there are no fights left to be had. Again, I really think the underdog bonuses should have a way of checking to see if the faction receiving them is, actually, the underdog at the time they're awarded.

I have to agree, for the last few years AD can barely keep 5 people together to take a resource, and 2 of them will still wander off. Have you seen how well coordinated AD's sieges usually are? There's no way AD players could get together and trigger low pop bonus on purpose. :p

"We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • doabhi
    doabhi
    ✭✭✭

I have to agree, for the last few years AD can barely keep 5 people together to take a resource, and 2 of them will still wander off. Have you seen how well coordinated AD's sieges usually are? There's no way AD players could get together and trigger low pop bonus on purpose. :p

Sadly, this. It's infuriating, but i've often said that AD is as coordinated as a box of frogs, or a bowl of noodles. I wish it weren't the case, but unless you're taking part in, or watching an actual faction group run around together for the fleeting times that they do, most seem to go and do their own thing and little gets done.

As for the map picture, i was there that day and part of the 'night shift' players who made it happen, there weren't many of us on but for once we actually banded together with PUG groups and got stuff done and defended the keeps as best we could. it was glorious, no cheating involved. There was even one keep that hadn't been repaired, so.. yea, that's a ball drop right there.
    Edited by doabhi on March 26, 2022 2:40PM
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doabhi wrote: »

Sadly, this. It's infuriating, but i've often said that AD is as coordinated as a box of frogs, or a bowl of noodles. I wish it weren't the case, but unless you're taking part in, or watching an actual faction group run around together for the fleeting times that they do, most seem to go and do their own thing and little gets done.

As for the map picture, i was there that day and part of the 'night shift' players who made it happen, there weren't many of us on but for once we actually banded together with PUG groups and got stuff done and defended the keeps as best we could. it was glorious, no cheating involved. There was even one keep that hadn't been repaired, so.. yea, that's a ball drop right there.

5 DC were getting steamrolled by an entire zerg of AD. This topic has nothing to do with rallying together or how some folks like to do their own thing in Cyro. Its the fact that this bonus kept getting handed out when it shouldnt have. I am aware of the Low Score Bonus, this wasnt it, the population bonus kept going away and coming back several minutes later.

I got my Grand Overlord achieve and left Cyro shortly after this was posted, sorry to those who still have to deal with it (and lose monthly campaigns over it too).