Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New companions coming from now on?

Biscuit_290
Biscuit_290
✭✭✭
Are they going to bring one or two new bots every chapter? Is there any word on companions in the next chapter? I don't like dark elves. Also heard they're utterly useless in combat. Has that changed?
Edited by Biscuit_290 on November 26, 2021 4:27PM
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blackwood would first need to downgrade to DLC status so next June when the next expansion comes out. I would like them to retroactively add new companions to older content, in my head it would work perfectly if they added an Orc Templar to Orsinium, Bosmer Warden to Vvardenfell, Altmer Sorcerer to Summerset, and Khajiit Necromancer to Northern Elsweyr. Just as a selling point add a Nord Werewolf and Argonian Vampire to the next expansion, but this is all my wish list.

As for usefulness in combat it depends on build, purpose, and gear. Bastian is my pocket tank for when I face off against World Bosses and holds them pretty well without any help from me. I have Mirri setup for dual-wield and AOE burst, her best use is Masque of Torment which is an AOE fear with no target limit. She teleports in, FEAR, then AOE spam; it lets me go all out without worry of getting attacked from large group of mobs.

Most people are just annoyed because they give them ranged weapons like a bow, restoration, lightning, or inferno staff and then they roll dodge away causing bosses to reset. The easy fix to this is slot a taunt, learn how to control pets, position them near a wall, or give them melee weapons like two-handed, dual-wield, 1h+shield, or frost staff.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll be very unhappy if they prioritize adding a new companion over fixing battlegrounds.
    PC NA
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd hope for something better than any new companion, but as it's lowest effort addition I won't be surprised much.
  • akredon_ESO
    akredon_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Companions needs some SERIOUS work if they plan on adding more of them in. I would like to have the ability to Atleast have them do simple command functions. That would make me a little more inclined to have more companions
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The awful grind to level them and their 30 million skill lines would need to be reduced a lot before more of these squishy pets are added to the game.
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, please, no more companions, I don't like the two we have and won't like the next ones either. I'm only levelling for the achievements.

So of there are any more please don't link to achievements so I don't have to bother with them
  • Biscuit_290
    Biscuit_290
    ✭✭✭
    It might go well if they made a "create a companion" dlc and let you make a new one like your own character customisation. That way they can put in proper work into the concept and people would be more likely to get one if they can change appearance.
  • _Zathras_
    _Zathras_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they going to bring one or two new bots every chapter? Is there any word on companions in the next chapter? I don't like dark elves.
    No word yet, but that would be nice.
    Also heard they're utterly useless in combat. Has that changed?
    They aren't useless. There seems to be a popular (cough) sentiment on the forums that they are garbage, but I think it is mostly a mismatch of preconceived ideas, clashing with the current iteration. Remember, the forums are where people come to complain. If you go in-game, there are a lot of people using their companions. If they were as bad as you read here, you wouldn't see any.

The reality is that they are quite fun, there is a fair amount of customization, and if you like to solo or duo they can be a game changer in helping to clear content.

Like everything else, there is always room for improvement. As they are at launch, they're pretty awesome actually.

I would suggest trying one out for yourself.

Edited by _Zathras_ on November 27, 2021 1:24PM
  • Bekkael
    Bekkael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they add new companions, as I really like having the option to use them. Bastian is my favorite but Mirri is pretty nice too, after I got used to her. Bastian has been really useful for the 4 person dungeons, as I have done quite a few with just my character and him. He makes a great tank, as well as a useful healer. :smile:

I think they did a really great job with the companions. If they want to add an option to marry your companion, to be more in line with Skyrim, I think that would be fun too. :wink:
    ~~ Lady Gamer ~~ ♥ ~~ Xbox NA ~~
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If we have more companions I would like to:

-Be able to ATLEAST give them a helmet on. Ideally use my customizations like hair, tattoo's, skins etc on them, and have it translate to when I place them in homes, so they don't revert to their default stuff in housing.

-Make sure they don't randomly "exit combat" during combat. They sometimes put their weapons away mid combat and stop attacking for a period which is kinda weird IMO.

-Let them interact with the world around them - Like let us use them to stand on the pressure plates in direfrost, so we can solo it.
  • Bekkael
    Bekkael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we have more companions I would like to:
    -Let them interact with the world around them - Like let us use them to stand on the pressure plates in direfrost, so we can solo it.

Yes! The first thing I did with Bastian was run to Direfrost Keep, as I had the quest in my log from when I tried and failed to solo it previously, due to the pressure plate. I was so disappointed when he couldn't even be used for something as small as standing on a specific spot. *sigh*

~~ Lady Gamer ~~ ♥ ~~ Xbox NA ~~
  • SerasWhip
    SerasWhip
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see some of my favorite NPCs being able to become a companion
  • xgoku1
    xgoku1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    _Zathras_ wrote: »
    Are they going to bring one or two new bots every chapter? Is there any word on companions in the next chapter? I don't like dark elves.
    No word yet, but that would be nice.
    Also heard they're utterly useless in combat. Has that changed?
    They aren't useless. There seems to be a popular (cough) sentiment on the forums that they are garbage, but I think it is mostly a mismatch of preconceived ideas, clashing with the current iteration. Remember, the forums are where people come to complain. If you go in-game, there are a lot of people using their companions. If they were as bad as you read here, you wouldn't see any.

The reality is that they are quite fun, there is a fair amount of customization, and if you like to solo or duo they can be a game changer in helping to clear content.

Like everything else, there is always room for improvement. As they are at launch, they're pretty awesome actually.

I would suggest trying one out for yourself.

>mostly a mismatch of preconceived ideas, clashing with the current iteration
    Translation: they are glorified pets, quite possibly the worst Companion system in any game ever

>If you go in-game, there are a lot of people using their companions. If they were as bad as you read here, you wouldn't see any
    Or it's because it's this year's gimmick and you feel obligated to run them because you paid for it? Blackwood is still buy-only as of writing, why would you willingly not use something you paid for?

>As they are at launch, they're pretty awesome actually.
    No, not really. DPS role is pretty bad with hard cap around 7-8k. Tank role is restricted to a maximum of 2 roll dodges (per encounter lol). Healer is alright but superfluous when RoTPO exists.

They are not deep RP wise either. Both have really annoying mechanics that try to restrict player freedom (like Bastian disliking Thieving, both disliking Assassinations).

Their rapport grind is time-gated. Roaming dialogues and interactions limited and repetitive.

Bloated gear customization with old-school gear grind, many traits, 4 qualities without the option to quality upgrade.

Mirri's frame is too thin to fit most costumes, Bastian has a non-removable tattoo.
    Edited by xgoku1 on November 28, 2021 6:49AM
  • Xenite
    Xenite
    ✭✭✭
    Companions are terrific, they just need some tweaks and improvements. Need more direct control over them, like attack this etc. Would also be nice if we could customize appearance more using crown hairstyles, etc. Would make it so not 100 clones running around.

Would love to see a companion with.... compromised morals so to speak lol
  • Biscuit_290
    Biscuit_290
    ✭✭✭
    Lot of conflicting opinions. I am running a healer as my main. Is is worthwhile to get a dps companion, considering the grind for the gear they might require to be effective? Will they do better damage than me or will it be like having lyris following you around? I have few dps skills slotted myself and don't intend to use any more.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will they do better damage than me or will it be like having lyris following you around? I have few dps skills slotted myself and don't intend to use any more.

Go with Mirri, give her two-handed with medium armor, you can buy all available white versions in Shadowfen's main town. Place abilities as you get them, the main ones to focus on are Warp Strike, Shadow Slash, Life Absorption, and Masque of Torment for Class skills; Staggering Swing and Sunder for weapon skills; optional Sniping Silver and Starfall from guild skills. Don't slot any executes, they are wasted space for most content. Don't worry too much about upgrades or attributes until you have her maxed out, just replace with whatever you get as drops for now. Quickened however is the best trait.

if you want more in-depth info:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/589985/
    Edited by phaneub17_ESO on November 28, 2021 9:41AM
  • xgoku1
    xgoku1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lot of conflicting opinions. I am running a healer as my main. Is is worthwhile to get a dps companion, considering the grind for the gear they might require to be effective? Will they do better damage than me or will it be like having lyris following you around? I have few dps skills slotted myself and don't intend to use any more.

You can expect 6-9k DPS increase from Companions. 9 or 10k was the claimed maximum by Devs during launch on a livestream.

Your mileage will depend on what content you are doing of course
    Edited by xgoku1 on November 28, 2021 9:49AM
  • Biscuit_290
    Biscuit_290
    ✭✭✭
    For reference, what is the average dps put out by a dedicated healer build with only a couple of aoe attacks?
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should have that An Abundance of Stibbons mechanic implemented in the interaction menu.
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if they add any more, I most def will skip them, not relishing going thru MG, FG, & Undaunted all over again!, this was fine as a one off, no need for anymore, tedious as it was, no thanks.
  • _Zathras_
    _Zathras_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lot of conflicting opinions.
    _Zathras_ wrote: »
    There seems to be a popular (cough) sentiment on the forums that they are garbage, but I think it is mostly a mismatch of preconceived ideas, clashing with the current iteration. Remember, the forums are where people come to complain. If you go in-game, there are a lot of people using their companions. If they were as bad as you read here, you wouldn't see any.

I am running a healer as my main. Is is worthwhile to get a dps companion, considering the grind for the gear they might require to be effective?
    You can buy the gear off a trader. I purchased a full set, with jewelry, and customized the traits and weight of the armor. I went the DPS route, with a balance of heavy/medium.
    Will they do better damage than me or will it be like having lyris following you around? I have few dps skills slotted myself and don't intend to use any more.
    They won't do better DPS than you. They augment what you can already do, as a helper. So, if you have trouble with some content, they help to fill the gap. They won't replace another player, of course (that was never the intent), but they are far better than doing anything by yourself.

• francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be happy if every expansion has 1 companion from now on. And some new content.
    If there's no new content than 2 companions it is!
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • Xenite
    Xenite
    ✭✭✭
    Blinx wrote: »
    if they add any more, I most def will skip them, not relishing going thru MG, FG, & Undaunted all over again!, this was fine as a one off, no need for anymore, tedious as it was, no thanks.

This is something that does need to change. I think once you bang out the grind once, it should apply to all collected companions for the skill lines. Reputation gains need to be tweaked as well so the gains are better and not basically require doing a daily to raise them.

The only toon they have max rep on is my main and that is because I did the MG/FG daily. All my alts they have hardly any rep with miri or bastion from just grabbing bookshelves, etc.