The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crashing advice please

BazOfWar
BazOfWar
✭✭✭✭
Hi, I would like some advice from this great community to assist me with a crashing issue.

So this happened first about 4 months ago then has been fine since until last night when it started happening again.

So I was in cyrodiil and had been there for about 2 hours, I was in a fight with a sorcerer when suddenly the pc made a funny noise the screen went all pixelated and rebooted.

Upon trying to reboot itself there was all these multicolored lines and cubes on the screen and wouldn't continue to load until I pressed reset.

I had to do this 3 or 4 times before it booted normally, I have checked event viewer but the only errors that are there are "the system was not shut down correctly" nothing pointing to what the issue was. I booted up eso and carried on where I left off but it happened again after half hour.

I have an inkling it could be the GPU but cannot be 100% because there is nothing pointing to that, the system is an overclocked bundle and is only a year old but the GPU is an oldish radeon RX 290.

Any advice on what it could be would be appreciated.
  • KilianDermoth
    KilianDermoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I was in cyrodiil and had been there for about 2 hours, I was in a fight with a sorcerer when suddenly the pc made a funny noise the screen went all pixelated and rebooted.
    For sure it was the sorcerer! He casted the third Morph of Negate - Negate to play!

For me it sounds also like the GPU was malfunctioning. It isnt necessary that the GPU itself is the cause for your problem, it could also be the power supply, cpu or motherboard which made your gpu malfuntion, but the probabiltiy that it is the gpu itself is very high.

Usually something like this happens when the GPU overheats. Check your temps while playing (for example with HWiNFO64).

Since the game uses the multicore rendering it can use more of your GPUs power (thats why you probably have more FPS than before) leading into higher power consumption and finally heat.

Also there are some parts that might decrease over time leading into lower tolerance of high temperatures. The older your GPU is / the worse the manufactoring quality was the lower the temperatures get at which it can operate stable, leading to a point where it might crash when it didnt before.

In short: Check your Temps and / or try to disable multi thread rendering. Also updateing your gpu drivers is always a good idea even probably not the cause of your problem.
  • BazOfWar
    BazOfWar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @KilianDermoth I'll monitor the temps tonight and see how it goes. 👍
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @BazOfWar

The link below has some basic troubleshooting to help with crashes in ESO.

What do I do if ESO is crashing with the error "ESO has stopped working"?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post