The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crown store retired Motifs

bridgetrose
bridgetrose
✭✭✭
On Dec 6th they will retire these Motif's from the Crown store. I'm new so have little of any of these. Which would you say is the hardest to get.

Motif: Blackreach Vanguard

Motif: Pyre Watch

Motif: Icereach

Motif: Greymoor

Motif: Thorn Legion

Motif: Wayward Guardian

Motif: Nighthollow

Motif: Sea Giant
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would strongly strongly advise you not to get any motifs from the Crown store as they are hugely overpriced compared to what you would pay in gold from guild traders. Speaking of which, ZOS shouldn’t offer the basic motifs for Crowns at all as it can only give new players a very sour impression once they find out how easy these are to come by.

If you’re on a PC server and there isn't anything current or upcoming that you’d like to buy, I’d recommend selling your Crowns at 800:1 or more and then buy the motifs you want (I say PC because I don’t know the rates nor prices on consoles).
  • bridgetrose
    bridgetrose
    ✭✭✭
    I would strongly strongly advise you not to get any motifs from the Crown store as they are hugely overpriced compared to what you would pay in gold from guild traders. Speaking of which, ZOS shouldn’t offer the basic motifs for Crowns at all as it can only give new players a very sour impression once they find out how easy these are to come by.

If you’re on a PC server and there isn't anything current or upcoming that you’d like to buy, I’d recommend selling your Crowns at 800:1 or more and then buy the motifs you want (I say PC because I don’t know the rates nor prices on consoles).

Thank you. I have been buying some motifs from Guild traders but most of these haven't been among them and I was worried they were so hard to find or acquire in game that I should buy them from the store. I'll do as you say and keep looking for them from guilds. I'm slowly building up a pretty good stash of gold and there are lots of other things I'd like to spend my crowns on.

Thanks again.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't think I've ever seen a Thorn Legion motif.

Greymoor and Blackreach Vanguard are very easy to complete in game.
    Edited by whitecrow on November 2, 2021 9:42PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you. I have been buying some motifs from Guild traders but most of these haven't been among them and I was worried they were so hard to find or acquire in game that I should buy them from the store. I'll do as you say and keep looking for them from guilds. I'm slowly building up a pretty good stash of gold and there are lots of other things I'd like to spend my crowns on.

Thanks again.

You may not wish to wait this long, but the best time to buy most motifs is during or after the Anniversary Jubilee festival in May as many motifs can be gotten from the reward coffers. During a region event that gives extra awards for dailies the associated motifs likewise go down in price. I think that Greymoor may still be cheap but I’ve not checked recently. Several of those motifs are from trials (Sea Giant) or vet dungeons (Icereach, Pyre Watch, Thorn Legion) while the others drop from bosses or doing quests in Skyrim or The Reach.

Look for deals on the Tamriel Trade Center website. I was in a similar place when I started in 2019, wondering if I should buy the Sunspire motif from the Crown store since I wasn’t rich and didn’t know when or if I’d be doing trials myself but I’m glad I was dissuaded and bought the pages I most wanted and eventually the whole motif for gold. Plus I find it rewarding to do some combination of collecting pages myself and hunting for good deals. :)

Note there are a few motifs only available from the Crown store (ex: Harlequin’s) or as part of a Collector’s edition of a chapter but these are not among them.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks again.

You may not wish to wait this long, but the best time to buy most motifs is during or after the Anniversary Jubilee festival in May as many motifs can be gotten from the reward coffers. During a region event that gives extra awards for dailies the associated motifs likewise go down in price. I think that Greymoor may still be cheap but I’ve not checked recently. Several of those motifs are from trials (Sea Giant) or vet dungeons (Icereach, Pyre Watch, Thorn Legion) while the others drop from bosses or doing quests in Skyrim or The Reach.

Look for deals on the Tamriel Trade Center website. I was in a similar place when I started in 2019, wondering if I should buy the Sunspire motif from the Crown store since I wasn’t rich and didn’t know when or if I’d be doing trials myself but I’m glad I was dissuaded and bought the pages I most wanted and eventually the whole motif for gold. Plus I find it rewarding to do some combination of collecting pages myself and hunting for good deals. :)

Note there are a few motifs only available from the Crown store (ex: Harlequin’s) or as part of a Collector’s edition of a chapter but these are not among them.

There's 3 crown-store only motifs.

They are seasonal (Harlequin, Frostcaster and Tscasi (sp?))

They are also significantly cheaper in crowns than the others (1500-2000 versus 5000 for the others).

You will also never get master writs for those 3 motifs, whereas you can get them for any others.

But as others have said, with the increase in crown prices (at least on PC), it's not cost-effective to buy motifs with gold from crown traders (even at day 1 markups most of the time), as they'll fairly quickly come down (Sea Giant might be an exception as that's locked behind a trial and a weekly coffer)

Then the anniversary event will tank the prices again, which is how I have 6 grand master crafters now :joy:
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I looked for Pyre Watch not too long ago and it was still going for more than 30k per page. I guess I’ll keep waiting...
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    On Dec 6th they will retire these Motif's from the Crown store. I'm new so have little of any of these. Which would you say is the hardest to get.

Motif: Blackreach Vanguard

Motif: Pyre Watch

Motif: Icereach

Motif: Greymoor

Motif: Thorn Legion

Motif: Wayward Guardian

Motif: Nighthollow

Motif: Sea Giant

I'm horrified, and deeply saddened that these will no longer be available on crown store.
    Those in power only have the illusion they are powerful, however in reality, those in power are only so because we allow them to be.

ESO Beta Test Ultimate Question for control!
    Lord Dagon's Mythic Dawn Guild is now recruiting. Dailies, trials, Raids, Fun, Discord (required for staying on Crown), guild bank and so much more. Msg me or mail me in game @Chaz for invite. **See Link Here** ElderScrollsOnlineYouTube

ElderScrollsOnline Purchase History April 17, 2017 through May 30th 2022 (Crowns,Upgrades, ESO Plus) = $5,610.38
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Of those, probably Pyre Watch and Icereach are hardest to get, because they come from specific dungeons that not a lot of people farm for gear.

Though Icereach on the whole is kind of ugly to me.
    PC NA
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d not buy any from the crown store. In March/April the birthday event provides loads of motifs and will either flood the guild traders or give you a chance of getting them just from doing things like writs and other quests.
  • Harry_Toes
    Harry_Toes
    ✭✭
    Just playing vanilla PVE I've collected all of the Blackreach Vanguard, Greymoor and Wayward Guardian sets - no gold/crowns required.

Of the others, I've had a few rare Nighthollow drops. The other 3 (Sea Giant, Thorn, Icereach) are far and away the most rare, locked behind specific Trial walls.

And not unsurprisingly the most expensive at guild traders.