Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 21
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Max House Item Increase, PLEASE!

bradleymsimmons
bradleymsimmons
✭✭✭
So, I'm just wondering why they haven't increased the cap on house items? It doesn't seem quite fair that new items are constantly being introduced, yet if you've reached the maximum number of items in your house you have to start cannabilizing it in order to place anything. Can't the devs do something about this? It sort of seems ridiculous to me. If it's a question of slowing down the servers, systems, playability, then make it a purchase item in the crown store to help fund the technology and manpower needed to implement this. That way, not everyone is increasing their house content just those who are willing to pay for it. The housing feature is a game in of itself, yet I'm I'm locked out of playing it anymore because of the cap feature. Yes, I realize I could buy more homes but I don't want to do that. I like my MAIN home, that's the one I want to polish out. -sigh-
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a performance related issue. They are fully aware that players want more space in houses.

It's like asking for a 2 liter bottle to hold 4 liters. If you tried it, the bottle would blow up. In this example the bottle is your house and you can basically brick it and make it unusable if you were to overload it so as a safety precaution, we have the current limits.
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's distressing, yes, but they've been making a lot of improvements to performance lately so maybe a cap increase will be coming eventually. I'd certainly love an increase to houseguest numbers at the very least. And there's a good argument to be made for boosting items caps of non-manor sized homes (if manors can hold 700 items, then smaller locations certainly can too) - but that's a value issue rather than a performance issue. I still think it would be an amazing change for the game overall if 350/700 items (free player / subbed) regardless of home size became the new normal, followed by an eventual boost to 400/800 or more when/if performance allows it.

That said, I don't think any cap will ever be enough. We'll always reach the cap and want more :tongue:
  • maximusrex45
    maximusrex45
    ✭✭✭✭
    They won't increase it because they don't want to impact performance for people on ancient PC and consoles.

That said, some of the caps on smaller spaces seem a bit arbitrary as well. For the Mara's Kiss and Saint Delyn rooms to have the same count is a bit crazy.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They've said the can't increase the cap, but since this is the case, what I don't get is why then do they keep releasing houses the size of small zones in the game? :sweat_smile: At the very least they could release some smaller houses alongside them, which work much better with the limit. Another thing that would help a lot, is if they increased the cap, even slightly, of special collectibles. It's ridiculous they keep releasing all these new house guests, mounts and pets, and we still have the same measly cap for them. Especially for bigger houses, it's harder to make them lively if guests/mounts/pets (and their paths) are sparse.
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    there's a pinned post on this, if you want more information
    Edited by StabbityDoom on November 9, 2021 3:09PM
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on the latest PC hardware, NVIDIA 3000 series and Ryzen 5000 series, and my fps drops from 144 down to 85 in the Ravenhurst backyard w/ ~300 furnishings on screen. Now imagine this on an Xbox One.

If the furnishing limit is too high, the game crashes every time you enter a densely furnished house. When that happens, you can never enter your house again until switching hardware. ZOS has limits in place to prevent this.

The performance issue with housing is real.
    PC NA
  • Adremal
    Adremal
    ✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    I'm on the latest PC hardware, NVIDIA 3000 series and Ryzen 5000 series, and my fps drops from 144 down to 85 in the Ravenhurst backyard w/ ~300 furnishings on screen. Now imagine this on an Xbox One.

If the furnishing limit is too high, the game crashes every time you enter a densely furnished house. When that happens, you can never enter your house again until switching hardware. ZOS has limits in place to prevent this.

The performance issue with housing is real.

Different furnishing limits for consoles, problem solved. The laptop I use when I'm on holidays was dug up with the antiquities system, it dates back to the second Punic war I believe, and still has no FPS drops in super-cluttered houses, not to mention densely populated cities... such as Fargrave right now, which is filled with both furnishing stuff and a ton people (I don't have 50 people running around with 100 different mounts in my house). That's on 1080p @ High. That laptop is a 2014 model with a GTX 880M and a i7-4700HQ if memory serves - it's also very poorly ventilated, as most gaming laptops are. And again that's an example with an old gaming laptop. You'd have to have a really ancient - if not ancestral - system if it struggles in densely populated houses, and nowadays you can get your hands on a desktop that's 5x more powerful than that laptop at 1/5th of its original cost.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I'm just wondering why they haven't increased the cap on house items? It doesn't seem quite fair that new items are constantly being introduced, yet if you've reached the maximum number of items in your house you have to start cannabilizing it in order to place anything. Can't the devs do something about this? It sort of seems ridiculous to me. If it's a question of slowing down the servers, systems, playability, then make it a purchase item in the crown store to help fund the technology and manpower needed to implement this. That way, not everyone is increasing their house content just those who are willing to pay for it. The housing feature is a game in of itself, yet I'm I'm locked out of playing it anymore because of the cap feature. Yes, I realize I could buy more homes but I don't want to do that. I like my MAIN home, that's the one I want to polish out. -sigh-

Supposedly they can't because of performances issues. I'm skeptical, but that's what they say.

They ought to at least consider some work-arounds.
  • TmzOS
    TmzOS
    ✭✭
    Besides the performance issues, we need to deal with a specific thing: if they increase the base object counter, ESO Plus will double it.

But we got some strange things, like super big objects or with effects being considered normal furnishing. They should rethink the sistem and calculate a true impact index for each item and then create a new "render weight" system for housing. Because literally an apple has the same category of a big legendary boat.