The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Strongest PVP class/race combo (4y returning player)

Chelister
Chelister
✭✭✭
I used to have Imperial Templar and High Elf Sorcerer, 550 CP. But since I am starting again on a new ESO account, wanted to ask if anything much has changed in terms of racial abilities, classes, etc.. If basically not much changed, I'm looking into making the same combo

I haven't played the game for almost 5 years and am considering to start it again completely from the scratch on a new ESO account. I wanted to make a High Elf Sorcerer and Imperial Templar, just like I had back in the days. Is it still a good race/class combo or has anything changes? Say another race emerges superior to High Elf when making a Sorcerer.
  • Elo106
    Elo106
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on your playstyle but Stamina Necromancer and Warden are generally considered the most OP.

Race I would consider Imperial for sure, the cost reduction works on your stam, mag, health skills and also reduces your roll, break free and block cost as well. Cant go wrong with imperial.

Do you remember if you played stam or mag?
  • Chelister
    Chelister
    ✭✭✭
    Elo106 wrote: »
    Depends on your playstyle but Stamina Necromancer and Warden are generally considered the most OP.

Race I would consider Imperial for sure, the cost reduction works on your stam, mag, health skills and also reduces your roll, break free and block cost as well. Cant go wrong with imperial.

I played stam Templar and mag Sorc. From what I remember Imperial is jack of all trades, but if say I wanna go pure Mag Templar this time around, Breton looks attractive. If I remember correctly Altmer still the best for Mag Sorc
    Edited by Chelister on October 31, 2021 11:46PM
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chelister wrote: »

I played stam Templar and mag Sorc. From what I remember Imperial is jack of all trades, but if say I wanna go pure Mag Templar this time around, Breton looks attractive. If I remember correctly Altmer still the best for Mag Sorc

If you look at the racial passives you'll see they've changed considerably - most notably all the old percentile buffs have been replaced by flat integer values, so Altmers can't stack Mag as high as they used to. The difference in power between similar races is now much smaller for any given class/playstyle, but no race makes a better MagSorc than Altmer.

MagCros are the most powerful class, but have a bit of learning curve to line everything up at the right time, at least in PvP.

For PvP, class balance is pretty good right now, it's just a bit hard to discern because of how strong some proc sets are.
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Chelister
    Chelister
    ✭✭✭

If you look at the racial passives you'll see they've changed considerably - most notably all the old percentile buffs have been replaced by flat integer values, so Altmers can't stack Mag as high as they used to. The difference in power between similar races is now much smaller for any given class/playstyle, but no race makes a better MagSorc than Altmer.

MagCros are the most powerful class, but have a bit of learning curve to line everything up at the right time, at least in PvP.

For PvP, class balance is pretty good right now, it's just a bit hard to discern because of how strong some proc sets are.

What’s the best race for MagTemplar you’d say then?
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In PvP? I don't really know, are all the MagPlar skills still "Channeled" like back when Soulshine was popular? Altmer has that 5% Mitigation while Channeling, and those Percentile Mitigations go a long way right now in PvP since damage is quite high and they can't be Penetrated.

I can say that Ranged MagPlars are a much less common sight than they were in the early days, most MagPlars have been mostly melee for years.

If you're returning to PvP - expect to find the experience quite punishing right now - so I'd rank RP considerations above all else to keep your morale up. Start with whatever you like thematically, like I said outside of some outlier proc sets and one or two outlier classes, balance all around is pretty good in PvP.

Edited by Urzigurumash on November 1, 2021 1:00AM
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know exactly, but I have found a Breton pretty good with Dragonknight since it helps with the sustain problem. Breton vampires are good to since their innate spell resistance fights flame damage, and their sustain helps fight the vampire sustain problems.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In PvP? I don't really know, are all the MagPlar skills still "Channeled" like back when Soulshine was popular? Altmer has that 5% Mitigation while Channeling, and those Percentile Mitigations go a long way right now in PvP since damage is quite high and they can't be Penetrated.

I can say that Ranged MagPlars are a much less common sight than they were in the early days, most MagPlars have been mostly melee for years.

If you're returning to PvP - expect to find the experience quite punishing right now - so I'd rank RP considerations above all else to keep your morale up. Start with whatever you like thematically, like I said outside of some outlier proc sets and one or two outlier classes, balance all around is pretty good in PvP.

Yup, with bonus def from channeling Altmer got around 9% dmg mitigation, which is quite nice.

But honestly, this patch is another green light for hybrids, so if i were in your shoes, i would go with Dunmer. Even if you decided to go full magplar, you still can benefit from great spell dmg+magicka bonus and always have additional 2k stamina, which is more than useful in pvp.
    Edited by Ippokrates on November 1, 2021 3:11PM
  • Tiphis
    Tiphis
    ✭✭✭✭
    It all matters a bit less, you can balance most of the differences with attribute placement/cp/enchants etc.

I know not that helpful but it really is far less divided than it used to be.

Altmer/breton/dunmer for mag classes.
    Orc/bosmer/nord/imperial for stam classes.

Nord/imperial/dunmer for hybrid/change between mag and stam.

Argonian just isn't worth it much anymore. Redguard is full on sustain which usually isn't worth it vs what you lose. Khajiit is less useful with the removing of crit dmg from nb grim focus/medium armor/cp crit lowered and mech acuity being nerfed.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can find a "broken" build for any class :) . Clickbait titles not withstanding, you an do something interesting with every class.

Race, going with a race with 258 spell/weapon damage is the safe bet, especially with everything being hyridy now. Every other stat has some point where you don't need any more, caps, diminishing returns, or other mechanism that limits how much you want, but spell/weapon damage has no upper limits. Dunmer, Orc, or High Elf.

The wildcard race is Imperial. The cost reduction passive is great.
  • Icy_Waffles
    Icy_Waffles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nord necro.
  • WeylandLabs
    WeylandLabs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nord necro.

Agreed ! NECRO ... most mitigation meta
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Imo don't make a new account. Your characters probably have some mount training and traits learned and stuff.

Your altmer magsorc is a great option for pvp. Magsorcs have been very relevant for ages.

Your imperial templar could go mag or stam. Mag is a better choice but stam is still viable.

There are many classes and specs that you could play that are very strong. Play what you really enjoy and improve your skills and you can have a blast.

Kuroyuki is a youtuber who makes lots of builds and he had a video saying to play what you like and get good at that and you will have much more fun than chasing the clickbait op meta that people become obsessed with.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I pity the fool getting into pvp right now 😂
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    PvP has been really balanced for sure. I'm running a

Stam s'ORCerer, No impenetrable, No-critical. I LOVE IT. UGHHH.

I either wreck a zerg and take a healer out before dying to the mob as I rush them, or I get wrecked solo while mounted by a NB or Templar ganker. Seems pretty balanced to me. If I'm not dying, I'd complain to forums that my build is broken and they need to nerf my gear. But since I'm middle of the road, my build will stay quiet if I can help it (:
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syrpynt wrote: »
    PvP has been really balanced for sure. I'm running a

Stam s'ORCerer, No impenetrable, No-critical. I LOVE IT. UGHHH.

I either wreck a zerg and take a healer out before dying to the mob as I rush them, or I get wrecked solo while mounted by a NB or Templar ganker. Seems pretty balanced to me. If I'm not dying, I'd complain to forums that my build is broken and they need to nerf my gear. But since I'm middle of the road, my build will stay quiet if I can help it (:

The way this is worded it sounds like you’re saying you have been mounted by a NB or Templar tanker lmao.
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why? I just got back into PvP right now and I’m having an absolute blast
  • novemberhhh
    novemberhhh
    ✭✭✭
    the strongest class/race combo is DARK CONVERGENCE and LAG
    who else remembers when this game actually had a pvp player base tho lol
  • milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts on running an Altmer Stamina Templar for PvP.

I know the extra Magicka can help with Extended Ritual and Toppling Charge, but does the lack of a Stamina boost hurt in the long run?

And what about the Spell Recharge passive? Does it make up for lost Stamina with the resource gains from activating abilities, and damage reduction on channeling?
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My stamplar is wood elf, but high elf might be ok. The regen, damage mitigation and wd are decent.
    It could work :)
    Stamplar main, feel free to @ me or message if you want build help etc
    Edited by gariondavey on November 11, 2021 8:25PM
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My stamplar is wood elf, but high elf might be ok. The regen, damage mitigation and wd are decent.
    It could work :)
    Stamplar main, feel free to @ me or message if you want build help etc
    I appreciate it, Buddy! I swapped over to Stamina, and am REALLY enjoying the way the Stamplar drives.

I actually ended up race-changing Wood Elf, but not just for the mechanics. It just looks better with my Psijic outfit.

:D