The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

State of the Game

Alchimiste1
Alchimiste1
✭✭✭✭✭
State of the Game

Let me start off by saying that I really like this game. I would not be playing it for this long if I didn’t ; however I think it's undeniable that the game is in the worst state that it has ever been.
I think it is a result of a few things but the major ones being, performance , balance, feedback, and other game options.

Performance

Let's talk about performance. Honestly for as long as I’ve been playing eso has never had really good performance and I think honestly people just need to accept that for an mmo that has such large scale fights we probably don’t have the technology to support completely lag less large scale pvp. That being said We have had patches where performance was far more bearable even during prime time pvp.
  • You should not be able to stack more than one hot on a player. Anyone that has played this game long enough or even shortly will agree that lag severely worsens when ball groups are out and this is because the current mechanics of the game do nothing to mitigate the effects ball groups have on the server. This is a message to zos, if you look at any logs from ball groups you will see 5+ rapid regens going off on every player at all times. This shouldn’t be a thing. Make it so you can only have 1 source of the hot ( allow the highest one). If this idea does get implemented please don’t do this to damage abilities. Those are fine, it allows players to die therefore less stacking in one location.
  • The Hammer should only spawn when there is one alliance that is severely lacking in population (NOT POINTS/RANKINGS) and it should only be able to be picked up by that alliance.
  • Cyrodiil is a very large map but a lot of the areas get very little use. You can go about this two ways; either create some side objective (good ones) that make people split and go to those areas. ( there are churches, areas across the coast , etc)
  • Performance doesn’t need to be perfect, time has shown us that. Even when cyrodiil was laggy in the past people still continued to play it because the gameplay was fun. Which brings me to my next point BALANCE.

Balance

This patch has had the worst balance I have ever seen. Everyone has seen it and has said it; Dark Convergence needs to go. I don't mean nerfed, I mean deleted or completely reworked. The pull is far too game changing. It was combat NOT FUN. The damage is whatever's, you can avoid it for the post part but being constantly pulled or forced to hold block as Dark convergence after dark convergence continues to drop on you is honestly tiring or even infuriating. Most of combat now is spent just walking away trying to avoid every damn dark convergence proc that shows up both in cyrodiil and bgs. It needs to be deleted. There is no other way.

** I understand that maybe someone in the combat team designed this set to fight zergs and that they worked hard on it and I appreciate that but they also need to understand that that's not what happened. The combat team needs to accept that they were wrong and that's OKAY, just change it. **

Moving on I don't understand why it takes so long for some major bugs to get fixed on live when we know there are fixes for them on pts. Let me explain. Most people know this but clever alch is currently bugged on live and only procs under very specific conditions. ZoS knows this and they have implemented a fix on pts but why on earth do we need to wait 4-5 weeks for things like this to go live? This should be an easy fix that can be done any Tuesday. This is just one example but there are more, there is currently also a fossilize bug on live that prevents it from being used, again a fix exists but for whatever reason we need to wait 4-5 weeks before seeing a change or even an entire patch. We need Communication from the devs because it kind of feels like the only time anything gets done is when the new patch is about to drop and things are already set in stone. This game is live for 4 months after.
  • Faction locks need to be removed for the moment, there isn’t enough population and One alliance completely dominates the map right now on PC NA.
  • Why are procs going to be able to crit next patch ??? who asked for that ???
  • Please remove cast time on ults. The game hasn’t felt the same since.
  • The hybridization of things is fine I guess. I understand it makes it easier to balance things but don’t forget to preserve the uniqueness of each class.
  • Idk there a lot more things than can go here, I’ll let the comments add things

FEEDBACK

As stated above we need better communication from the devs. When dark convergence was on pts people said it was too strong and yet it still made it to live, when other sets like crimson were too strong people said so and it still made it to live. It kinda feels like things are already set in stone. My only advice to ZoS is to actually listen to your players. You guys built up a class rep program of individuals who were passionate about the game, knew the mechanics better than the dev team did( because they played the game more and again it's okay to admit and acknowledge that) but they were taken for granted and their ideas tossed down the drain. To be quite frankly honest this is a company problem that can and should be changed.

Those are my thoughts, I'm harsh and I critique this game because I want to see the game get the changes it needs to in order to survive but from all the end game players I’ve talked to that have left recently 90% of them don’t plan or see a reason to come back right now.
Please ignore my bad grammar and focus on the message.
  • NagualV
    NagualV
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with your post 100%

Sadly, I personally think things arent going to change.
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    State of the Game

You should not be able to stack more than one hot on a player. Anyone that has played this game long enough or even shortly will agree that lag severely worsens when ball groups are out and this is because the current mechanics of the game do nothing to mitigate the effects ball groups have on the server. This is a message to zos, if you look at any logs from ball groups you will see 5+ rapid regens going off on every player at all times. This shouldn’t be a thing. Make it so you can only have 1 source of the hot ( allow the highest one). If this idea does get implemented please don’t do this to damage abilities. Those are fine, it allows players to die therefore less stacking in one location.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything but this. They already tried setting cooldowns on all AOE skills and it had no effect. Now whether or not that was because it really had no effect or their testing drove everyone out of Cyrodiil is another thing...

Everything else is spot on tho.
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    State of the Game

You should not be able to stack more than one hot on a player. Anyone that has played this game long enough or even shortly will agree that lag severely worsens when ball groups are out and this is because the current mechanics of the game do nothing to mitigate the effects ball groups have on the server. This is a message to zos, if you look at any logs from ball groups you will see 5+ rapid regens going off on every player at all times. This shouldn’t be a thing. Make it so you can only have 1 source of the hot ( allow the highest one). If this idea does get implemented please don’t do this to damage abilities. Those are fine, it allows players to die therefore less stacking in one location.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything but this. They already tried setting cooldowns on all AOE skills and it had no effect. Now whether or not that was because it really had no effect or their testing drove everyone out of Cyrodiil is another thing...

He's not saying cooldowns.

He's saying, people shouldn't be able to have 5 instances of radiating regen running on them at once. Which I agree with. Healing is entirely too strong in the game in general.

Agree with OP's post 100%.
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    State of the Game

He's not saying cooldowns.

He's saying, people shouldn't be able to have 5 instances of radiating regen running on them at once. Which I agree with. Healing is entirely too strong in the game in general.

Agree with OP's post 100%.

He was saying that the regen spam causes lag. But it doesn't, at least if their tests are to be believed. Now whether or not regen spam is healthy for the game is a different issue...
    Edited by neferpitou73 on November 1, 2021 7:05PM
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭

He was saying that the regen spam causes lag. But it doesn't, at least if their tests are to be believed. Now whether or not regen spam is healthy for the game is a different issue...

Ah I see. Fair point.
  • Tiphis
    Tiphis
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see alot less lag recently, granted it's mostly because the map is all 1 color and barely anybody is playing on 2/3 factions.
  • AuraNebula
    AuraNebula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tiphis wrote: »
    I see alot less lag recently, granted it's mostly because the map is all 1 color and barely anybody is playing on 2/3 factions.

I agree the lag is better and that this is probably why.
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my honest opinion, the only thing I don't agree with this is on Volendrung. I think volendrung in general just needs to be removed. No one faction access, etc. It's really added nothing positive to PVP, only negatives.

The original intent of the hammer was to make the campaign active and dynamic when it drops, so the map never goes stale with no movement happening.
    However we got this from the hammer being in the game:
    -Faction stacking from all 3 alliances pushing the lag machine of death.
    -Super lag
    -A 1 shot tool thats more effective than emperorship. (this is my main gripe imo, hammer is more effective than the emperor is, emperor can be either good or bad depending on player, but hammer ulti basically guarantees you can wipe multiple people) If it were to stay I think it shouldn't be as effective as being the damn emperor of cyrodiil, at least with EMP if you have terrible stats, the emp won't mean anything. Hammer is just always effective, tone it down if it stays
    -Bomb bait/farming bait (it's really easy for people to bomb and farm kills off hammer because they know the entire server is going to ride to hammer, it's honestly probably more great for farming than keeping map alive)
    -Faction gating, it's really good at keeping factions stuck behind gates too when dominant alliance has it

IMO, it really just needs to be revamped to hell or just removed. Though I prefer the latter
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • AJones43865
    AJones43865
    ✭✭✭✭
    AuraNebula wrote: »
    Tiphis wrote: »

I agree the lag is better and that this is probably why.

Crazy low pop caps now. The pop caps per faction is less than 100 now. It used to be 500. And, the pop cap is rarely reached now due to so many leaving the game due to performance issues and generally being treated badly by ZOS.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    xDeusEJRx wrote: »
    A 1 shot tool thats more effective than emperorship... IMO, it really just needs to be revamped to hell or just removed. Though I prefer the latter.
    What makes the hammer really awful is its ability 5 that takes down keep walls in seconds, enabling the high pop zerg to roll maps in minutes rather than hours. That's the only thing about it that struck me as being far more powerful than emp, based on my experience with both. I don't think it would be as oppressive if the hammer faction had to siege normally, but I likewise would be fine with it being outright removed.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It got worse after the dead-water's nerf. Before you could use it as a counter to the hammer via negates on the ult. Now it's only really useful on a hammer build.
  • Alchimiste1
    Alchimiste1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update, This patch dark convergence is near useless and acuity gankers are no where to be found, I dare say this is looking like a good patch. Population is still a bit low though

So fare I'm enjoying the patch