The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

4 years returning player (need some guidance)

Chelister
Chelister
✭✭✭
I started playing ESO the day it was released on PS4. Played for 3 years non-stop and I truly loved the game. It has been almost 5 years and I decided to start it again. Only problem is that my account is on the EU servers as I used to live in London. Now, I moved to US and am considering to making a whole new account with new PSN due to time difference mainly and some input lag. So, here are a couple of questions I have.

How far has the game progressed in terms of new superior items to those of 2014-2017? I have two characters, with numerous top dungeon sets, Maelstorm weapons, golden Spinner's Swords, etc... I have done all crafting research for all gear pieces in each gear type (light, medium, heavy) and have 86k gold. I'd be more willing to leave all this if the game has progressed so much, that at least all my gear is obsolete now. Its just difficult to leave it all, you get it.

Big one for me. Did they add a loadout option for more easily switching between gear and skills? I have been fiercely rooting for this as I very often change my play styles which means frequently switching between gear sets and skills. I know PC version has add-ons, I was hoping they would at some point in future add this as in-game option for consoles

Is the PVP scaling system (if I remember correctly called battle level) still in the game? I remember levels say 14s fighting me on par or solo killing other level 50s, didn't feel right

At last, what are your general thoughts about the game? What has improved, what are the biggest complaints? And is there anything important that I need to know before stating the game again?
Edited by Chelister on October 31, 2021 6:37AM
  • Aertew
    Aertew
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maelstrom is still essentially top tier for the most part. I think whatever you had that was top tier should still he usable.

Next patch they are adding the armory so you can switch betweem loadouts. You get a free furniture that let's you do it in your home.

One big thing they added is called the sticker book. Anytime you get a new peice of gear part of a set you can 'bind' it to your account. This makes it a account wide so you can craft it as long you have transmute stones and a transmute station.

I believe there is a new tutorial that let's you pick what storyline you do first. So you can do the base game one or any of the expansions.

I think this might be new for you but idk. They added jewelry crafting in the Summerset expansion. Elswheyr added a necromancer class. Greymoor added a fun mini-game that let's you earn gold, furniture, or rare set's of 1 piece gear that give amazing abilities with large drawbacks.

Oh also now every year they do a 'year-lont- story. So we get a dungeon pack, the expansion, another dungeon pack. Then a DLC zone.
  • Chelister
    Chelister
    ✭✭✭
    Aertew wrote: »
    Maelstrom is still essentially top tier for the most part. I think whatever you had that was top tier should still he usable.

Next patch they are adding the armory so you can switch betweem loadouts. You get a free furniture that let's you do it in your home.

One big thing they added is called the sticker book. Anytime you get a new peice of gear part of a set you can 'bind' it to your account. This makes it a account wide so you can craft it as long you have transmute stones and a transmute station.

I believe there is a new tutorial that let's you pick what storyline you do first. So you can do the base game one or any of the expansions.

I think this might be new for you but idk. They added jewelry crafting in the Summerset expansion. Elswheyr added a necromancer class. Greymoor added a fun mini-game that let's you earn gold, furniture, or rare set's of 1 piece gear that give amazing abilities with large drawbacks.

Oh also now every year they do a 'year-lont- story. So we get a dungeon pack, the expansion, another dungeon pack. Then a DLC zone.

Great, just read the update patch too and I can't believe they are finally adding the loadout system. What I am still trying to understand is, how far has the game progressed in terms of per character power since 2017, if it has at all (since you are saying that Maelstorm is still top tier). Say in wow, If I stopped in Cataclysm expansion and came back in Shadowlands, I'd be so much behind than everyone else. I would have to catch up in leveling and get the appropriate level gear.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're into PvP then there are also Batlegrounds as well as duelling. Performance continues to be a problem still in Cyrodiil, but I can't comment beyond that as I'm not a PvPer. Nor am I a competitive PvEer so I can't comment on the "meta" aspects of the game, but my basic comment on the PvE is that if you enjoyed it before you'll enjoy it again and there is so much more of it now in terms of the chapters and DLCs that have been added while you've been away. Also, the Champion Points that probably came in during your first time with the game have since been totally revamped.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maelstrom is still top tier but spinners is not. Character power is generally higher now. There are perfected Maelstrom weapons now too so if you want Vet Maelstrom weapons you have to refarm them, which will be easier to do next patch as they are going to start having drops priotize pieces you don't already have collected in your sticker book.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on October 31, 2021 8:35AM
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    First, sorry to hear you moved to the US. This place sucks.
    Second, here are my current thoughts on the game: PVP in cyrodiil is not great. Too much lag as per usual. Imperial city is similarly bad, but also almost exclusively filled with gankers. With the coming update on Monday, things are going to become different in that a lot is opened up in terms of DPS', and hybrid builds will become somewhat viable. Battlegrounds are fine, but as usual can be better or worse depending on the current meta.

Things to consider: Next update, hybridization of sets comes into place. This means if a set gives penetration, weapon or spell attack, or crit rate, it will now give both stats. Second, many proc sets will crit again. Some do not crit, you'll need to cross-reference, but most sets will crit making them viable again to some extent. Last, you were probably done when Mythic items were introduced. They're pretty good, some aren't, but some are must gets, I'd look into em.
  • Chelister
    Chelister
    ✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Maelstrom is still top tier but spinners is not. Character power is generally higher now. There are perfected Maelstrom weapons now too so if you want Vet Maelstrom weapons you have to refarm them, which will be easier to do next patch as they are going to start having drops priotize pieces you don't already have collected in your sticker book.

Thanks for the info. In your personal opinion and what are your thoughts on starting from scratch on a new account given the characters that I have and their possessions?
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chelister wrote: »
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

Thanks for the info. In your personal opinion and what are your thoughts on starting from scratch on a new account given the characters that I have and their possessions?

Well, I don't know what other personal possessions you have besides Spinners in terms of dungeon sets...

But I would imagine it would be worth it based on your opening post. The Maelstrom staff you had will be easy to get back until you get a new one as it's available in the much easier normal maelstrom now. The upcoming update will also make refarming old gear not that bad in general. I don't know what outfits and stuff like that you have, but I'd personally pick a smoother experience over any cosmetics and your gear shouldn't be too bad.

Leveling is also much faster now.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on November 1, 2021 3:11AM