The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

DK Bow

Jeddahwe
Jeddahwe
✭✭✭
Has any one given some thought about say a double bow 5/7 leather 2/7 light DK? The talents the class has seem to support bow so well...NB bow fades as you level and takes a back seat. Sorcerer, again, it fades even if you go down the pet line with the huge curse nuke I guess that can work but storm and dark is so good bow will take a back seat. Templar, again bow starts really strong but as you get more points bow takes a back seat...

Now look at DK..No talents over take bow they just support it! Take a look at this and tell me what you think:

http://esohead.com/calculator/skills#czczgginjt8innG8inTJ8ugIa8uvZC8Gsb48GRHa8GRFv8uEAN8uEI18uEA48uENg8p7JcdBET6MdBvj6MdBEI6MdBvT6MdBEp8g7HrsXy6rsXx6rsXn6Mippo6MipL46Mippq6MippV6MipLW8l7JLzoC6LzkA6rzky6rzkg6rzkt6MuvVB6MuvVD6MuvVJ6MuvVO6rop8B7brzsq6rzsa6rzRf8Z7pznrJs6cnrJi6cnfeO6cnrJG8zM706
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    I can't be the first person to have thought of a Bow DK and how well the talents synergies...Or is it that Bow is just really bad damage latter on in the game and not worth it?
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've not tried this nor heard people discussing it much. I'm curious.
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    It's early but the armor buff and the 15m 3sec knock down is amazing and really fun...slotted the AE 4.5sec root and bow AE dmg...single target no problem...packs again no problem...
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    I just updated my bar:

Poison Arrow (DoT) / Scatter Shot (Dmg+Knock Back) / Volley (AE) / Dark Talon (AE dmg+root) / Stonefist (ranged knock down)
  • zahn
    zahn
    Soul Shriven
    hmm..very interesting build. trying it now. Any thoughts on stat distribution?

• Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    Stam if you want to max dmg...I havent figured out a good balance though
  • Zakua
    Zakua
    ✭✭✭
    Nice, I am going to have to check this out. I like DK and I love Bow...two separate toons, I should make just one =)
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    Orc+leather and having fun thus far! Tell me his it's going with you.
  • zahn
    zahn
    Soul Shriven
    going 1/5/1 with armor now and orc + heavy on chest + light on head looks badass ;) for stats I'm going even mag/sta, we'll see at later stages how it goes...
  • Holmes
    Holmes
    ✭✭
    The best combo, or at least the most popular one, seems to be DK+Fire Staff. I guess it would work well with a Bow as well, but it's a matter of preference in the end.
  • zahn
    zahn
    Soul Shriven
    staffs are mag based whilist bow is stamina. you would need completely different skills/mag/sta management with this.
  • zahn
    zahn
    Soul Shriven
    hmm...Standard of Might...the only way you can get it like this is after re-specing? I mean to 'earn' it in normal way, you would need at least 1 skill point spent in ardent tree.

For later stages of the game - really nice one.

Let's use those snares! :)
  • bullerwjb16_ESO
    Yup. that is what I play but with heavy armor. Second set is two handed so can switch. Love to call in the Dragon lance (AoE) and watch them burn!
    An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backwards. Big whoop. I'm spooning a Barrett 50 Cal; I could kill a building!
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    Well its all theory right now I'm no were near full level...I just hope it actually works out as DK looks amazing for PvP whatever weapon you use!
  • zahn
    zahn
    Soul Shriven
    soo any updates on this? thb I switched to my other build - nightblade warlock style and it keeps me busy all the time, but would like to hear about progressing with DK w/ bow...
  • Taid
    Taid
    ✭✭
    i guess every weapon synergies with DK^^ the class abilities are just too good. The only thing with dk class skills is maybe that range abilities are more or less midrange, while a bow is high range. You can focus on stamina and health for your weaponplay, and keep your class skills as support, so you dont need to put efforts into magicka since supportsskills are not meant to spammed.

This works for 2h, SwB, dualwield, bow, because its everytime the same scheme.

only staffs require to focus on magicka isntead of stamina.
    You know the old saying.....Neither a Troll, nor a Fanboy be? :o

RUBBISH!

Without Trolls and Fanboys, how could we ever be able to sell anything? :#
  • RianaTheBosmer
    RianaTheBosmer
    ✭✭✭
    I had DK and bow, I found it weaker than DK dual wield so I changed.
  • RustyBlades
    RustyBlades
    ✭✭✭
    Bows in general feel kind of weak, even for a support. What would help it is a crippling shot to slow down enemies for a few seconds. In most ES games, the bow is about the only weapon I used since after a point I can one shot most mobs once I get the stats into the 20's. In ESO, definitely can't. So I went assassin/bow to see if that would work.

A DK bow has its merits, but mainly as a support class. I can't see tanking in one.
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    Ive reached to the conclusion that this build can not work, Bow seems to be a OK weapon as an off weapon and DK strength is below 10m.
  • dumbo
    dumbo
    I've got a V1 DK/bow, and it's "functional" (although doesn't use much DK, so this isn't really a huge endorsement).
    - obsidian shard is, as you suggest, great in PvE.... but it's 18m which is a bit annoying.
    - green dragon blood is great.
    - magma shell is a perfectly good way to avoid death.

For me, the bits you're missing are:
    - 'silver bolts -> shards' from the fighter's guild (along with most of the passives for the guild). This makes a massive difference.
    - 'snipe->lethal arrow'. For PvP standoffs it's worth having this 'somewhere' (it's a complete waste of space for PvE though).
    - I went 7 medium or 5/2 medium/heavy.

Open with a heavy shot from stealth, follow up with venom arrow/spam until the first mob is down, use knockdowns as required.

The build can have "issues" against mobs that are immune to knockdown, but apart from a certain boss fight in Alakir it did all the single player content without any major problem (I went into that battle without any aoe - don't do what I did!).
    Edited by dumbo on April 28, 2014 2:31PM
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    But how do you handle solo VR dungeon pulls...4 or 5 or even 6 mobs with double bow?
  • JunkyardWolf
    JunkyardWolf
    ✭✭
    Dang it! now I need another alt!
  • dumbo
    dumbo
    Jeddahwe wrote: »
    But how do you handle solo VR dungeon pulls...4 or 5 or even 6 mobs with double bow?

At V1 I can't say that I've done that. All I'd suggest is bombard (and possibly swapping in reflective scales if there are >2 mages).

Although it didn't seem that DK/bow was a very strong class (at all), the character certainly worked up to V1.