The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Fake puzzles in quests

HowellQagan
HowellQagan
✭✭✭
Is it only me who's annoyed by these fake puzzles in the last 2-3 years of DLC quests where it's made to look like you've got a mystery but all you need to do to solve it is spam interact until it locks into the correct solution? Why even add a "puzzle" then?
That annoying dude on PC-EU.
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean like the weird rune lock things in Blackwood? Yeah I thought the same. Why bother?

Saying that I don't want proper puzzles either. If I wanted puzzles I'd play a puzzle game.
  • alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the point of making intricately designed puzzles when all that will happen is most players will look the solution up online anyway if they cannot figure it out in the first 5 seconds.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm even more disturbed by all the map padding starting to happen. You see it on the Doomvaults distinctly. You go through a door, into a corridor, that has nothing in it (no mobs, nothing to interact with) to go through another door. WHYYYYYYYYYYY
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The rotating blocks one was lame. That's the only one I remember.
    Even the NPC dialogue timing was off. She was saying "you got it!" before it even started to glow.
  • HowellQagan
    HowellQagan
    ✭✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »
    The rotating blocks one was lame. That's the only one I remember.
    Even the NPC dialogue timing was off. She was saying "you got it!" before it even started to glow.

And Markarth had stuff like this too, and one of the prologues, either Markarth or Western Skyrim.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find solving an easy puzzle in game to be much more immersive than encountering a hard puzzle, opening a walk-through to solve it and then solving it. I'm actually quite pleased that ESO only rarely pulls me out of game to consult a walk-through.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss the puzzles where you actually had to get the puzzle right. Now you just press one of the rotation pillars until it glows or something. I know it slows down story progression for some people but this puzzle illusion is more than a waste of time, it's an insult to a player's intelligence. I don't mind basic puzzles as long as they're actually puzzles y'know?
    Edited by Vevvev on October 20, 2021 7:43PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varanis Arano, Mirri, and Eveli stand outside of the towering, gleaming bulk of the doomvault.

Eveli says, "Look, I think the symbols on those red cubes match the book! Maybe if we make the symbols match on the cubes the doomvault doors will open."

Mirri checks the symbols. "You're right! Eveli, read us the symbols."

Eveli reads out, "Well, the first one looks like a squiggly tree, and-"

The doomvault doors grind open as Varanis dusts off her hands, looking pleased with herself.

"How did you do that?" Mirri asks, pouting a little. "I'm supposed to be the daedrologist."

"Oh, I just poked the cubes until they did something."

"That's it?" Eveli packs up the Mysterium Xarses, sounding disappointed. "We didn't even need the book."

"Yep. That's pretty much the secret to adventuring right there: poke it until something happens. Or look on the wall. You'd be surprised how many ancient Khajiiti temples hid the answer to their riddles in plain sight on their wall."
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were some interesting puzzles in Orsinium and Vvardenfell. I don't think puzzles should be a frequent thing, but... I guess I don't see the point of ones like the doomvault locks in Blackwood.

How about this: instead of fake puzzles, give us real puzzles that don't block progress if you don't figure it out. A puzzle that unlocks a shortcut, or grants a special buff for the next boss fight, or something like that.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varanis Arano, Mirri, and Eveli stand outside of the towering, gleaming bulk of the doomvault.

Eveli says, "Look, I think the symbols on those red cubes match the book! Maybe if we make the symbols match on the cubes the doomvault doors will open."

Mirri checks the symbols. "You're right! Eveli, read us the symbols."

Eveli reads out, "Well, the first one looks like a squiggly tree, and-"

The doomvault doors grind open as Varanis dusts off her hands, looking pleased with herself.

"How did you do that?" Mirri asks, pouting a little. "I'm supposed to be the daedrologist."

"Oh, I just poked the cubes until they did something."

"That's it?" Eveli packs up the Mysterium Xarses, sounding disappointed. "We didn't even need the book."

"Yep. That's pretty much the secret to adventuring right there: poke it until something happens. Or look on the wall. You'd be surprised how many ancient Khajiiti temples hid the answer to their riddles in plain sight on their wall."

Best laugh I've had in weeks! Thanks Varanis!
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    pdblake wrote: »
    You mean like the weird rune lock things in Blackwood? Yeah I thought the same. Why bother?

Saying that I don't want proper puzzles either. If I wanted puzzles I'd play a puzzle game.

"I've turned this one to the left twice and nothing has happened! I'm completely screwed and lost!"

*Turns it left one more time. Clicks.*

"Whew I can't believe I solved that ancient mystery lock that kept the worlds from merging!"
    PC NA
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, for one, do NOT miss the rotating puzzles of ESO5:Skyrim where there are 3 rotating totems, each having several possible positions, and you have to try every possible combination until you finally hit upon the correct one. There are a few locations that have clues in the room which help you narrow down the number of possible combinations to just a few, but there are other locations with no such clues.

It's nice that ESO has mostly avoided those sorts of tedious puzzles, although I agree that the trend toward "it's impossible to get it wrong" puzzles is less than ideal.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Fenris_Arainai
    Fenris_Arainai
    ✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    I, for one, do NOT miss the rotating puzzles of ESO5:Skyrim where there are 3 rotating totems, each having several possible positions, and you have to try every possible combination until you finally hit upon the correct one. There are a few locations that have clues in the room which help you narrow down the number of possible combinations to just a few, but there are other locations with no such clues.

They usually had answers on the hand-key that you had to use to open them.

Glory to you and your Dunmer House!
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not talking about the big round door puzzles that have dragon-claw keys. I'm talking about the puzzles with 3 separate totems or whatever you want to call them, which rotate to show different carvings. Sometimes there are carvings up on the walls near each one to show you which icon you need to rotate it to, but sometimes 1 of them is missing, and sometimes you can't see any such "clues." In those cases, not only do you need to try every possible combination, but sometimes you even need to figure out which side of the totem is the one you're supposed to be looking at, because the totems might not all face in exactly the same direction.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm not talking about the big round door puzzles that have dragon-claw keys. I'm talking about the puzzles with 3 separate totems or whatever you want to call them, which rotate to show different carvings. Sometimes there are carvings up on the walls near each one to show you which icon you need to rotate it to, but sometimes 1 of them is missing, and sometimes you can't see any such "clues." In those cases, not only do you need to try every possible combination, but sometimes you even need to figure out which side of the totem is the one you're supposed to be looking at, because the totems might not all face in exactly the same direction.

I think sometimes there was a book nearby with clues? Or was that just in this game.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The clues for those were generally above on a wall, or on (in outdoor ones) pylons nearby - that sort of thing. The worst one I remember was in whatever "delve" it was where you had to kill Luah Al'Skavan - you had to IIRC read the book in order to get the totems in the right order. The first time I did that, the book got blown on the floor while fighting whatever it was as you arrive - fire atronach? Don't really remember now. Anyway, it was a total PITA until I stumbled over the book behind the table.
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. I’d be happy with no more puzzles, fake or real.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like puzzles. Is too bad I know others don't. Secret World had some doozey puzzles. One of the quests you had to die to get into the place with the ghost. I had to look that one up and then I remembered it for another quest which I solved by myself!
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really only like jigsaw puzzles. I'm not much into "serious" puzzles in games - anything more serious than the ones in Skyrim or ESO are for me a complete turn-off.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I love puzzles! But the ones in ES are never that interesting. Not that I can recall anyway.
  • ZiggyTStardust
    ZiggyTStardust
    ✭✭✭
    I remember being stuck on some of the Wrothgar puzzles for a while, that was fun. Even though I think I just brute forced them
  • DreamsUnderStars
    DreamsUnderStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh! Puzzles in mmos tend to be either so simple they are insulting or they are so hard I just look them up. Happy Mediums are impossible since what I find obnoxious a forum troll will claim they solved it in seconds (I honestly don't care if they did or not).
  • oddbasket
    oddbasket
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, how easy that Blackwood one is was puzzling.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I guess I’m alright with just rotating the puzzle cube until it works.

I seem to remember one or more puzzles in Markarth where you were supposed to do something with constellations, and the game seemed to expect me to know what they looked like and I had no reference for them.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Riddles, puzzles and traps are bread and butter elements in Fantasy storytelling. The problem of implementing them into a game is the good old conflict between character and player knowledge/abilities. If you hit a key, your character will perform an action, cast a powerful spell or do a swing a fancy blow with his sword. The player can trigger the event, but the effect of the action is determined by the abilities of the character not the player. Now with puzzles, it's the other way round. Now the character becomes more or less inactive while the player has to do all the work and come up with a solution. Regardless whether your character is a dumb barbarian or a 200+ IQ wizard, he does not help you solving the puzzle.

That's why developers either skip puzzles entirely, or design them the way they are desinged in ESO. I look at them as just a way of presenting a part of a story, just like a dialogue or a cut scene.

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say its an pretty old thing, thinking of the first thief guild quest to get the the skull with Queen.
    On the other hand, the entire thing was an trap and having an very hard lock before the trap would not make sense.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • HowellQagan
    HowellQagan
    ✭✭✭

It's nice that ESO has mostly avoided those sorts of tedious puzzles, although I agree that the trend toward "it's impossible to get it wrong" puzzles is less than ideal.
    >ESO5:Skyrim
    The what now?

Anyway, it literally showed the correct symbols as orange glowing floaty thingies in the latest one in Blackwood, they even turned with the player (i.e. no matter from which direction you looked at them, they showed the same character, so not mirrored or anything).
    All they had to do is make it so it doesn't lock the correct solution until all 3 (or 4 at the very last location) cubes were set to the correct symbol.
    thorwyn wrote: »
    I look at them as just a way of presenting a part of a story, just like a dialogue or a cut scene.
    Why make me press E two-three times for each cube if they don't even want me to solve a puzzle? Hell, just make it automatic then.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trying to go both ways never really works.

They want to engage players in some small intellectual activity and also doing it like we're seeing now - a toddler would do it in couple of clicks max. They want last quest boss to be engaging with all the roleplay phases to imitate mechanics but you can do those barefist etc. It's deliberate design choice, same with dialogues making us feel stupid because they're players that need those and are many.
    Edited by colossalvoids on October 21, 2021 9:34AM
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »
    pdblake wrote: »

"I've turned this one to the left twice and nothing has happened! I'm completely screwed and lost!"

*Turns it left one more time. Clicks.*

"Whew I can't believe I solved that ancient mystery lock that kept the worlds from merging!"

Yeah, that one :D
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like puzzles in games, including the ones which get me completely stuck for a while and take a bunch of tries to figure it out, those are often the most memorable.

I realise that not everyone enjoys that and many people seem to see ESO as a purely combat focused game where the only challenge or delay to completing content should be combat (how many times have people said they click through dialogue as fast as possible?).

But I can't imagine the current implementation is enjoyable for anyone. For people who like puzzles it's little more than token inclusion, you get the impression of a puzzles without any of the things which actually make it enjoyable, and for people who don't like them it's just another bunch of irrelevant clicking which isn't combat and so is just a delay. What is it achieving other than disappointing everyone?

I like the idea of optional puzzles which aren't required if you just want to complete the delve or quest or whatever, but are there for those who want an extra challenge and give something nice but non-essential like a buff or a few extra (generic) rewards. So skipping it would be like not bothering to find and open all the treasure chests, or read all the lore books, but it's still there for people who want the extra activity.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"