The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Housing Controls idea?

Starbridge84
Starbridge84
✭✭✭
I would love to see options where you can set the time of day, weather, some preset ambient noises and maybe even a lock for these items?
I RP from time to time and there are some RPs where its played as raining/snowing and it would be nice to have that kind of visual to help with the immersion.
Would also love to be able to adjust the level of fog so if I was trying to go for a darker night I could.

Also... why have we not seen more environmental visual placeables? AND why have we not seen sound effect placeables? I would love to get the sound of thunder, dogs, cats and such.
If you want to see what all the craftable lights look like in ESO, use this command on PC NA.
/script JumpToSpecificHouse("@Starbridge84", 71)
  • Starbridge84
    Starbridge84
    ✭✭✭
    Some other sound effect ideas are... small crowd, busy market crowd, light wind, heavy wind, ocean tides, hammer striking anvil.
    If you want to see what all the craftable lights look like in ESO, use this command on PC NA.

• Starbridge84
    Starbridge84
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be hurt if we had an option to make music boxes effect the whole house zone either.

Just sayin'...

• SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've wanted this for a long time. Some of the house builds I'm working on only really shine at night or during moody weather. A bright sunny day can throw the whole vibe off. 🌞
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Starbridge84
    Starbridge84
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. I made a light store in one of my houses and day time just kind of murders the vibe.

Come on dev crew! You wanna do it, I know you do!

• Starbridge84
    Starbridge84
    ✭✭✭
    Keep this alive! I want the dev team to see this. Because, we, builders would love this!

• Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love the option to choose and set time of day and weather! For some houses I’m quite happy with things cycling “organically” but in others I want to create a particular scene and mood.
  • everseeing_njpreub18_ESO
    I'll add a +1 here.

There are several houses i would like to buy but the (example) red sky or terrible sound set keeps me from being that interested. Ive wanted the hunters glade for a while, but with my style/preferences, the lighting alone just wont let me.
  • Starbridge84
    Starbridge84
    ✭✭✭
    Oh...yeah! Other sound sets sound like a good addition to this idea.

Being able to change the overall ambient sound to a housing plot sounds great! Pun intended.

I guess some examples could be...
    Breezy Meadow (wind, birds, rustling grass)
    Busy City Street (random incoherent chatter of crowds, random trotting of a horse pulling a wagon, doors opening/closing)
    Daedric Dungeon (torturous screams, evil laughing)
    Gloomy Forest (wolves howling, old creaking trees)

So many could get added. Great addition @everseeing_njpreub18_ESO !

• Starbridge84
    Starbridge84
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else have great ideas that could get added into this kind of thing?

What I would like to see is...

Weather control
    Time of day control
    Day cycle length control
    Night cycle length control
    Exterior fog control
    Ambient sound control

• SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want video settings for housing to be separate from the outside world.

For example, I wanted grass toggled off in my houses because the tall grass interfered with my gardens, but to do this I had to toggle grass off everywhere.

Also, others won't see how manicured and pretty my gardens are unless they toggle grass off too, so I would like it to default to the owners settings when visiting.
    PCNA
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer the immersion of knowing my home has the same time/weather as the world. It feels more connected to me.

I can see the desire for this, but I would do it a bit differently.

I would allow for the player to set the interior light based on the outside light. Basically allow for the player to make the home darker during the day if chosen, kinda like a real house or minecraft.

I always prefer night shots and decorating because of the atmosphere lighting creates and some of this is undone during the day.
  • Starbridge84
    Starbridge84
    ✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    I prefer the immersion of knowing my home has the same time/weather as the world. It feels more connected to me.

I can see the desire for this, but I would do it a bit differently.

I would allow for the player to set the interior light based on the outside light. Basically allow for the player to make the home darker during the day if chosen, kinda like a real house or minecraft.

I always prefer night shots and decorating because of the atmosphere lighting creates and some of this is undone during the day.

Well with the options I would like them to add, you could keep the day/night cycle how it is. Just wouldn't have to change it.

• votan73
    votan73
    ✭✭✭
    How about a photo mode. Which can be enabled like the housing editor via a keybind.

In photo mode you can change and freeze time.
    Lock camera position across character switch for "family photos".
  • Starbridge84
    Starbridge84
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. Being able to get some elevated shots without having to build ramps to the vantage point you want would be nice.

• Starbridge84
    Starbridge84
    ✭✭✭
    Kind of like a free-flight thing where the camera detaches from your character.
    Adding a 'canvas' house guest where you can load in one of your other characters would be nice (what I picked up for character switches/family photos), but lets try and keep this to controls for the environment for housing.

• Starbridge84
    Starbridge84
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind being able to fly (toggle) when you're in placement mode or at least having the camera detach so you can get better angles for item placement.

• floetenkasper
    floetenkasper
    Soul Shriven
    With houseguests available I'd love to be able to make them interact with certain objects (sitting on chairs) or do certain emotes (playing instruments, drinking or eating, maybe praciticing sorcery or doing push ups). Nothing fancy, all stuff that we have the animations for already.

The little Alfiq houseguest and the crow will be ofc more difficult (although there is the magic animation from the Elsweyr DLC), but even if they are excluded at first and get some stuff later, I'd love to have this option at least for the human-like guests.
  • TeruKisuke
    TeruKisuke
    ✭✭✭✭
    As far as music boxes, the thought of control for the whole house's OST sounds appealing, but music boxes themselves are just a furnishing, so I would prefer it be a separate menu setting. There are creative tricks that I think of with them, like using them to erase sound completely in one area while they transition between the music boxes. On a side note, music boxes can get quite grating at times because I hear them so much, but that is just me.

In the Alinor Townhouse when I turn off my music, I hear city sounds, which is great because I made a Curiosities Shop there. Would be great if I had the option to set sounds like that for real.

Day/Night/Weather toggle sounds really appealing. It has come to my attention lately but we currently have no means of having snowfall in housing. Being able to control rain and thunder would be great too. This would really make different homes distinct.
  • Starbridge84
    Starbridge84
    ✭✭✭
    I want this even more now since we have these lightning rods. They look really weird getting struck when the weather is clear day or night.

• everseeing_njpreub18_ESO
    I want this even more now since we have these lightning rods. They look really weird getting struck when the weather is clear day or night.

If your PC and use mods, the essential housing mod allows you to set some features. I have several of my "street lights" to turn off in the day and turn on at night, if nothing else you could probably set the lightning to either night only, or maybe with a little more effort have it turn on and off multiple times a day just to space out the strikes...

Not quite what people are asking, which I'm all for, but its something.
  • Starbridge84
    Starbridge84
    ✭✭✭
    @everseeing_njpreub18_ESO
    I've used mods in past games but I just hate how they get outdated and then you just have to keep up with them. So in recent years I have just stopped getting mods completely because I don't like to play the upkeep game. I just want to play the game and have fun. Not spend hours trying to figure out why I have mods conflicting and not working right.

I'm honestly surprised that the dev team hasn't started to incorporate the most popular mods into the game as base, and I wish they will add some of the items talked about in here. I honestly think that it would make the housing community explode.

I could confidently say that damn near every hardcore roleplayer in ESO would be all over something like this. Being able to create a perpetual rainy night landscape for spooky/dark RPs. Players able to lock in a clear sky sunset time look for the perfect in-game wedding. Or even being able to take Woe house and give it ambient sounds of being out in the mountains and away from the city to make it feel like a secluded cabin. Being able to adjust the fog amount so night feels darker, thicker, giving the illusion that is a lot darker.

The ideas I talked about are more about time setting, weather control and ambient sounds. As far as I know, mods are not doing any of this.

Edited by Starbridge84 on November 26, 2021 4:51PM

• Starbridge84
    Starbridge84
    ✭✭✭
    I am so hoping that we get some of the items talked about in this thread this upcoming year. I really want to lock a couple of my houses into a night time setting.

Purdy please ZOS?

• Starbridge84
    Starbridge84
    ✭✭✭
    Who else is pumped for the new chapter? I really hope they include some more housing control options with it. I don't think they will get much, if anything mentioned in this thread as I'm sure it would take months and months to work these kinds of things out, but I hope they do something for the housing community in terms of controls.