Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PVP rewards system leaves many players uninterested in combat and PVP in general.

Playnice
Playnice
✭✭✭
Give us a rewards system that entices players to engage in more Player vs Player combat, more fight participation (not just stand around Cyrodiil and collect ticks without fighting), and bring new players into Cyrodiil. Rewards of the worthy just isn’t bringing people into Cyrodiil to participate. Far too often I enter a pop locked server only to find 1 small fight on the map.

How could we do this? I dunno, here’s my 2 cents…

Maybe introduce a Combat Awards System that gives rare furnishing plans, materials, antiquities, outfits, dyes, pets and mounts, etc. How would players earn them? Maybe by doing certain things in combat such as kill streaks, winning outnumbered fights, starting combat with players in enemy territory.

Give us mini combat objectives during the campaign. How about each hour there is a new combat objective to spark fights in 3 random areas of the map? That way the entire server doesn’t converge in 1 area. Whichever alliance kills the most players in those areas receives X reward. Players don’t seem very interested in grinding the quest board anymore.

Create an AP Multiplier System: Alliance Points gained from killing players increases by a factor of X based on your current kill streak. So, say you currently have a kill streak of 30, your AP gain could go up by a factor of x3.
Playing since Feb 2015 / TES fan since 2002
Main alliance: Ebonheart Pact
All classes, all specs, 21 characters / 2 accounts
  • Skoomah
    Skoomah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Playnice wrote: »
    Give us a rewards system that entices players to engage in more Player vs Player combat, more fight participation (not just stand around Cyrodiil and collect ticks without fighting), and bring new players into Cyrodiil. Rewards of the worthy just isn’t bringing people into Cyrodiil to participate. Far too often I enter a pop locked server only to find 1 small fight on the map.

Maybe introduce a Combat Awards System that gives rare furnishing plans, materials, antiquities, outfits, dyes, pets and mounts, etc. How would players earn them? Maybe by doing certain things in combat such as kill streaks, winning outnumbered fights, starting combat with players in enemy territory.

Give us mini combat objectives during the campaign. How about each hour there is a new combat objective to spark fights in 3 random areas of the map? That way the entire server doesn’t converge in 1 area. Whichever alliance kills the most players in those areas receives X reward. Players don’t seem very interested in grinding the quest board anymore.

Create an AP Multiplier System: Alliance Points gained from killing players increases by a factor of X based on your current kill streak. So, say you currently have a kill streak of 30, your AP gain could go up by a factor of x3.

Good ideas
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agreed there is no long-term carrot to chase in PvP.

Trigger > Action > Variable Reward > Investment. Repeat.

Trigger: Daily XP, Mayhem Event, dopamine for PvP combat, leaderboard chasing
    Action: Queue for BG/Cyro/IC
    Reward:
    • Rewards for the Worthy are a punishment not a reward. I hate opening those useless bags of loot trash.
    • Legate Black is the only good reward. Once you have that then there's nothing to look forward to.
    • You get way more experience farming Skyreach for 15 minutes (400-800k xp) than doing the Daily Random Battleground (120-240k xp)
    Investment: Alliance rank, achievements, and leaderboard score (which signals time played not skill level)

The rewards and investments are seriously lacking.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on October 18, 2021 11:09PM
    PC NA
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with everything mentioned in this thread. Give PVP players something to work towards, which is a concept that’s at the heart of all MMOs.
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Become Grand Overload and unlock the Cloud Ruler Temple notable home.
    07vqSlf.jpg

Clear the Imperial City Main Quest and a variety of other IC achievements to unlock the Imperial City Waterfront District notable home.
    OB-place-Waterfront_District.jpg

Increase reward of the worthy gold gain to 1,000.
    gold-squadron.gif
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playnice wrote: »

These might be effective objectives to keep serious top tier PVPers engaged, which of course is also a good thing, but I am skeptical of it doing much for the population because they would be hopelessly out of reach for most players. Which isn’t to say everything needs to be equally obtainable by everyone, but if you’re goal is to get more people playing generally, IMHO the rewards should be things anyone can work toward even if slowly. Currently, the AP needed to continue gaining ranks beyond level 10 or so feels veeery slow to me and there are not that many rewards for doing so. I would like to unlock the dyes from both ranks and 100 kills, but there’s not much else in the way of rewards that I’m aware of.

Antiquities did get me into Cyrodiil and Imperial City last year and I found I did enjoy PVP with a group. Having additional nice things that I could work toward would be additionally motivating to PVP. But kill streaks? Never had one and I’m not expecting to. Of course I’m always trying to improve but I must be realistic about my abilities and the amount of time and effort I even want to put into that (because for me at least, beyond a certain point, it’s no longer fun, but a dispiriting grind and source of stress).

I hope you don’t take this as criticism or negative, as I agree with the overall idea of additional rewards to work toward through PVP, but thought I’d add a potato perspective, for what it’s worth. :sweat_smile:

(Edited for clarity.)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on October 19, 2021 1:07PM
  • NagualV
    NagualV
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even though I think these are good ideas.....

I actually think this will only upset the core playerbase(casual pve players)....they will likely complain, moan and groan about how they cant obtain the rewards because they dont like pvp, complain how it's unfair, etc.....

The vast majority of players in this game hate pvp - look at the threads that are started each and every midyear mayhem. Again, I think they're good ideas, but my god, the complaint threads that will follow....
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NagualV wrote: »
    Even though I think these are good ideas.....

I actually think this will only upset the core playerbase(casual pve players)....they will likely complain, moan and groan about how they cant obtain the rewards because they dont like pvp, complain how it's unfair, etc.....

The vast majority of players in this game hate pvp - look at the threads that are started each and every midyear mayhem. Again, I think they're good ideas, but my god, the complaint threads that will follow....

Unfortunately, I believe you’re right. Perhaps the rewards could be obtainable in more than one way but PVP would be one of the methods or even the most efficient? As one example of a variation of this, GW2 allowed you to choose a reward track for PVP that would give you some of the same rewards as doing a particular dungeon or dailies in a particular region.
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact of the matter is that endgame progression for PVP is virtually non-existent, and as soon as players learn the ropes, create builds that agree with the current meta and feel competitive, they’re thrown into an existential crisis of sorts, with there being no real incentive to keep playing — especially with the need to adapt to game dynamics that change every few months.

While I hate to use the PVE-vs-PVP comparison here, end-game PVE players can spend their time progressing towards better trial scores, trial gear and parses. Nobody complains about those not being achievable. Endgame progression on the pvp side of things is sadly measured by the increasing number of hate spewed at you by salty players who accuse you of cheating.

• Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact of the matter is that endgame progression for PVP is virtually non-existent, and as soon as players learn the ropes, create builds that agree with the current meta and feel competitive, they’re thrown into an existential crisis of sorts, with there being no real incentive to keep playing — especially with the need to adapt to game dynamics that change every few months.

While I hate to use the PVE-vs-PVP comparison here, end-game PVE players can spend their time progressing towards better trial scores, trial gear and parses. Nobody complains about those not being achievable. Endgame progression on the pvp side of things is sadly measured by the increasing number of hate spewed at you by salty players who accuse you of cheating.

Better trial scores and parses are a self-defined objective. I guess the first one is something one can earn rewards from? But nothing exclusive I don’t think or there probably would be complaints! As for me, those as end-game PVE objectives sound, well, miserable! :lol: I’d rather give myself paper cuts than parse which is probably why I’m a potato but housing is my primary end-game so I’ll work toward unlocking furnishings, so long as it’s achievable. If it required kill streaks or some vet trial achievement, I would be sad.

IMHO, a wide range of rewards should be able to be earned from a range of activities and high level exclusive rewards should be things specific to the activity. For instance, it’s okay that perfected gear drops from vet PVE trials because that’s where you need it. PVP should have similar.
  • NagualV
    NagualV
    ✭✭✭✭
    Endgame progression on the pvp side of things is sadly measured by the increasing number of hate spewed at you by salty players who accuse you of cheating.

Lol this....
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if all we get is a proper ranking system, it would go a long way in giving players like me a goal to work towards. The leaderboards we have for battlegrounds today are more a reflection of who played the most, not who is best. Throw in enough gold to actually cover expenses, and I’d be content.
  • Merllow
    Merllow
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, this is true, PVP modes do not motivate you to enter again and again, this is just a small portion of excitement, and in the future you don't even want to enter the campaign, because it's very boring to run for half an hour in search of an enemy. As far as I remember, in similar projects, awards really motivate you to enter and farm pvp every day, so the flow of players is maintained normal and you don't have to fight the same opponents.
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I support the proposals, the cyro events shows that rewards is quite atractive.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Endgame progression on the pvp side of things is sadly measured by the increasing number of hate spewed at you by salty players who accuse you of cheating.

I am pretty content with this. Eventually one day Eso will truly die and be shut down, but the salt compilations I have accumulated will live on. I can always take a look at the saved images and reminisce on the day it happened and the salt lord who sent the hate message. Gold and pvp ranks are temporary, SALT IT ETERNAL.
    I wrote a poem that I titled, "The ganker's delight."

As you lay upon the ground, cry not little pawn.
    The pain will pass as quickly as my blade did take you,
    but my delight will last and you will respawn.
    My heart simply cannot contain my joy, when I ply my trade.

The fault lies with you, your skill was lacking.
    Now your salt is mine forever, can't you hear the laughing?
    Once you were so proud and now you are reduced to this.
    A miserable, loud deuced fool.

With every tear you drip, with every excuse you let slip.
    All of your insecurities and worries bring a smile to my lip.
    From your despair I have ripped endless glories,
    but our affair is over now. Be afraid for I will return for more.

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.