The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

bow/bow in close range?

moo_2021
moo_2021
✭✭✭✭
How does a bow/bow build survive in close range when there is nowhere to run? (and I can't run faster)

Focused Aim takes too long to fire. I morphed Bombard but it's too easy to be cleansed. Would Magnum Shot help? But even so I'm left without a high dps spammable unless I use silver shards which can't get the 8% bonus from marksman's crest.

build is stamnb. There is shadow image in my toolkit for escaping but it always runs out of duration when I need it...

My second ranged build.. survival is really hard compared to sorc
Edited by moo_2021 on October 11, 2021 7:57PM
  • AhSeLYaG
    AhSeLYaG
    ✭✭✭
    Use bow 2h for rally skill of 2 h and better heals on 2h bar
    Dont use marksman
    New moon or new imperium wrath sets or depending on your snipe morph witch knight or stygian are better options
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    AhSeLYaG wrote: »
    Dont use marksman
    New moon or new imperium wrath sets or depending on your snipe morph witch knight or stygian are better options

What's wrong with marksman? I thought it's the one for bow... spent huge amounts of ap on it >_<
  • AhSeLYaG
    AhSeLYaG
    ✭✭✭
    Nope its not
    İ d use wrath of imperium jewellery
    Masters bow /agility bow
    For second set
    İf using poisın morph of snipe witch knights defience or swamp raider
    Physical morph of snipe / new moon

Kragh and balorgh monster sets
    Marksman doesnot provide enough damage
    İf u plan to use silver shards go physical damage sets
  • snipezor
    snipezor
    ✭✭✭
    Playing on no-CP I use focused aim with Shield Breaker and Marksman, and I feel like it works pretty well. I'm typically Stage 3 vampire, so whenever I try dropping Marksman I feel the squeeze on resources.

I would (and do) use silver shards for the spammable. While it's true that Marksman doesn't apply a bonus to it, silver shards does give a 3% bonus to snipe if it's on the
    same bar, and really, maximizing snipe damage is the point,
    right?

I do also run the ring of the wild hunt and 3x swift traits, and as often as I can I also have the major expedition buff up from Channeled Acceleration, so I'm generally moving pretty quickly.
    Edited by snipezor on October 12, 2021 4:29PM
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @snipezor For no proc/no cp I always thought it'd be fun to try a crit build, like Archer's Mind + Leviathan, 1 Slimecraw, and Wild Hunt, but a penetration based approach would likely be as strong or stronger. Haven't really gotten a chance to try it out unfortunately.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • snipezor
    snipezor
    ✭✭✭
    I've actually tried Archer's Mind with 1x Slimecraw (but still Wild Hunt, <3 that speed), divines, and shadow mundus paired with a few different sets like marksman, hundings, shield breaker, and spriggan's. It was occasionally fun, but I think shield breaker and marksman is overall my go-to.

I don't have leviathan's, but I think I'd probably go for heartland conqueror with precise instead. I haven't tried to pair with it with archer's mind yet, but I had thoughts to do that this weekend. It might work out better than my other pairings.
    Edited by snipezor on October 12, 2021 5:52PM
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah speed is definitely necessary to get in and out alive for any kind of bow build. Even if you start at long range opponents may close the distance quickly. Speed and a healthy amount of mag recovery (from food/drink usually).
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bow/Bow works great when in larger groups, otherwise go 2H/Bow, 2H/DW, or 2H/SS. I personally like the idea of Bow/Bow but the idea typically doesn't play as a well as a melee based stamina DPS build when alone or with smaller groups.
  • snipezor
    snipezor
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. I run 2hd back bar, but only to get Forward Momentum - there are no melee abilities on that bar. The only melee ability I have is flawless dawnbreaker (front bar), and it does a lot of work.
    Edited by snipezor on October 13, 2021 3:39PM
  • Fizzyapple
    Fizzyapple
    ✭✭✭
    AhSeLYaG wrote: »
    Dont use marksman

Wrath of the Imperium hasn't worked at all since it was changed last patch so I'd avoid using it until it's fixed which is outlined in the patch notes on pts.
  • Janni
    Janni
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've tried my bow/bow build on every class so far but I really feel that sorc and warden are best suited to it. Especially warden since you can completely control the range that you want to fight at and force the enemy into an uncomfortable position. Whether at range, mid, or close up, they can punish. My nightblade felt much less impressive than I expected even though my setup is geared very much towards crit damage. You really need to be strategic with your speed and cloak to keep enemies at range at all times. With a warden it's much easier to just use shimmering shield and keep distance and then punish people that get close with sub assault. On a nightblade it really is down to just cloaking away and trying to make distance. Scatter Shot and Bombard are good in both cases for helping maintain distance.

I use an eagle-eye precise bow and 1 piece of jewelry. 1 piece of trainee on chest in heavy. 1 pc of jewelry and 4 pieces on body of Gryphon's. Wild Hunt ring. Asylum bow backbar. And you can run any monster helm you like but I really prefer Maw of the Infernal lately. Steed mundus. Dubious food. Whatever race you prefer (mine is breton). I run all divines with bloodthirsty jewelry traits, and stam regen glyphs.

The trick is to focus on mobility and sustain. In solo there are very few that can catch me and I can set them up in a spot that is strongly to my advantage. But against a group my only choice is to run, los, stall, and drag them out. Try a burst on one target when they get separated from the pack and if it fails keep moving until you have another chance at someone. Don't try another round to finish them off unless they are totally alone.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Janni wrote: »
    I've tried my bow/bow build on every class so far but I really feel that sorc and warden are best suited to it. Especially warden since you can completely control the range that you want to fight at and force the enemy into an uncomfortable position. Whether at range, mid, or close up, they can punish. My nightblade felt much less impressive than I expected even though my setup is geared very much towards crit damage. You really need to be strategic with your speed and cloak to keep enemies at range at all times. With a warden it's much easier to just use shimmering shield and keep distance and then punish people that get close with sub assault. On a nightblade it really is down to just cloaking away and trying to make distance. Scatter Shot and Bombard are good in both cases for helping maintain distance.

I use an eagle-eye precise bow and 1 piece of jewelry. 1 piece of trainee on chest in heavy. 1 pc of jewelry and 4 pieces on body of Gryphon's. Wild Hunt ring. Asylum bow backbar. And you can run any monster helm you like but I really prefer Maw of the Infernal lately. Steed mundus. Dubious food. Whatever race you prefer (mine is breton). I run all divines with bloodthirsty jewelry traits, and stam regen glyphs.

The trick is to focus on mobility and sustain. In solo there are very few that can catch me and I can set them up in a spot that is strongly to my advantage. But against a group my only choice is to run, los, stall, and drag them out. Try a burst on one target when they get separated from the pack and if it fails keep moving until you have another chance at someone. Don't try another round to finish them off unless they are totally alone.

Bow/Bow Warden at close are fun especially if you have the bear out who can help you out with knockdowns.
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bow/Bow works great when in larger groups, otherwise go 2H/Bow, 2H/DW, or 2H/SS. I personally like the idea of Bow/Bow but the idea typically doesn't play as a well as a melee based stamina DPS build when alone or with smaller groups.

Fully agree. When I switched my Magblade to a Stamblade I was running Bow/Bow and it was fun but I wasn't getting the results I wanted. Now I'm running Bow/DW and it's so much more fun and just melts people