The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

"Unkillable" necro tank builds

Larcomar
Larcomar
✭✭✭✭✭
As part of my ongoing attempt to make my different characters perform different rolls or at least play a little differently, thought I'd try and turn my necro into more of a tank. I thought they'd nerfed harbingers and the main perma block type set ups but came across one last week. Took an age to get him down.

Would mainly be used for organised group play in cyro - sitting on a ram, taking and holding flags / resources, defending breaches etc - I've got other toons for general play, skirmishing, solo play etc. Struggling a little to find up to date stuff on line. Wondered if anyone could suggest obvious sets / abilities?

I wondered about something basic like stonekeeper / engine guardian, crest, pariah with sturdy / block cost reduction but figured there were probably some sets out there better suited for pvp. Any recommendations?

I'm assuming the big challenges are stam sustain and keeping up cc immunity. Could you alternater tanking on a forst staff / snb to double dip on stat pools, maybe use abilites like immovable to increase block mitgation and provide cc immunity? Or are there other tricks I shd be aware of?

cheers

Larc

• AhSeLYaG
    AhSeLYaG
    ✭✭✭
    Hi maybe this will be helpful

Magicka necro
    Heavy armor
    Frost staff
    Block cost reduction glyphs
    Blood lords embrace chest
    Desert rose staff and jewellery
    İronblood set 5 piece
    1 piece monster or trainee
    İmmovable pots and skill
    Healing skills
    Vampire stage 3
    Mist form for escapes

Desert rose and bloodlord will provide more then enıugh magicka while blocking…

• WaywardArgonian
    WaywardArgonian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larcomar wrote: »
    I thought they'd nerfed harbingers and the main perma block type set ups but came across one last week. Took an age to get him down.

Just commenting specifically on this, Harbinger received a nerf in its damage output, so while they might still be hard to take down, they're not out there two-shotting entire zergs by just holding block, which is what they were being used for a few patches ago. So if your main priority is to not die (rather than killing everyone), it might still be an option.
    PC/EU altaholic | Smallscale & ballgroup healer | Former Empanada of Ravenwatch | @ degonyte in-game | Nibani Ilath-Pal (AD Nightblade) - AvA rank 50 | Jehanne Teymour (AD Sorcerer) - AvA rank 50 | Niria Ilath-Pal (AD Templar) - AvA rank 50
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought they'd nerfed harbingers and the main perma block type set ups but came across one last week. Took an age to get him down.

Just commenting specifically on this, Harbinger received a nerf in its damage output, so while they might still be hard to take down, they're not out there two-shotting entire zergs by just holding block, which is what they were being used for a few patches ago. So if your main priority is to not die (rather than killing everyone), it might still be an option.

Is it on live or PTS? Which patchnote?
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, that's handy. Id been mainly thinking abotu the stam side - I play him as a stam dps but he's ny tank in pve, so pretty hybrid anyway. Desert rose is an interesting set; there's a few magika restore ones kicking round, but I can't think of stam equivalents. Given you can block almost as well on an ice staff now as a snb - I think its 14% rangd attack mitigation -= plus you have the choice of mag or stam, starting to wonder why ice staffs aren't the way to go for general content. I will muse!

cheers

larc
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Harbinger permablock block builds is what I use when I'm taking my pve tank to earn some cyro reward tiers. It is argonian DK, not necro tho. Not a vampire, but that would help.

I've been experimenting with things all the time, here is the list of things that I tried and liked/disliked. Not everything was tried this patch, or even last patch, so some things might have changed:

- Harbinger definitely hits for less after set scaling changes. Might be different with goliath, I don't know.
    - Impen armor and infused block cost enchants worked best for me
    - Sturdy is not recommended with block cost enchants, they stack not in your favor. And you will get feared eventually, so rather have some passive defense.
    - Battalion defender is really good (unless you are grouped and groupmate decides to walk into range)
    - Didn't like Crest as alternative
    - Defending Yokeda is pretty decent in very niche circumstances, like "moderate amount of melee enemies around you". Too little/too much/ranged and it falls short. Fun when it works, but it mostly does not.
    - Alternating between SnB and Frost staff felt better than using only one
    - On more frost oriented builds bloodlord and/or asylum SnB backbar are very decent
    - Keeping up immovable skill all the time helps a ton, as well as immovability pots.
    - Bloodspawn hands down best monster set choice. Stonekeep and Enginge Guardian sound great on paper, but ulti is my everything and additional resistances are welcome
    - I tried swarm mother (necros got skill for that anyway) too, in combination with frozen watcher. It was fun to troll ranged squishies, but otherwise it was pretty bad combo. I still keep that for MYM BGs, when everyone is ranged squishy
    - Zoal the Ever-Wakeful is a fun alternative monster set when paired with auto-break free CP star. The moment you are hard CC'd, everyone else is too
    - Glorgoloch the Destroyer. It should be THE set for permablock build, but I did not like that at all. I still want to move a little here and there
    - Harbinger + radiant bastion.... uh... don't do that
    - You can meditate during SnB ulti
    - Might drop altar at start, harbinger damage heals you

That is what I could remember for the moment.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sustain harbinger necros with Expunge and Modify. Bit explanation here: https://divnyi.gitlab.io/weird-eso-builds/ironwall-faelindril/#skills

I don't play lot of permablock now, but I did roll out during last day of cyro campaign (scroll to 1:49). Here is how it fares:

https://youtu.be/PVh-do7iPiw?t=108
    Edited by divnyi on October 8, 2021 11:49AM
  • ThePianist
    ThePianist
    ✭✭✭
    Necro and Warden will benefit from Battalion defender and leeching plate. Get some penetration and leeching heal ticks will be bigger. Without pen, the heal ticks are like 150-200, not enough to keep up against dots. Nothing lives forever in Cyro. If 30 Magdk’s put dots on you, yeah you will eventually melt. But I know for a fact leeching is one of those sets that will allow you to face tank 20-30 people for a whole minute and it can outheal a cold fire dot. It’s kind of buggy too, I don’t know if the leeching poison can be cleansed or maybe server delay but sometimes the heals stop working.

DK is really the ultimate tank class in pve and PvP. Green blood is op. This is why those DK perma block tanks in Cyro are running around with ulti-gen sets instead of sustain sets.
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys, thanks, that's really useful info - and that links awesome divnyi. Been playing around a bit; quite fun. The altar - boneshield combo is really cool and expunge and modify - Id had the other morph before - really helps the sustain.

One thing I have realised tho is that when a zerg comes calling, the biggest challenge is the massive lag they bring. You can have the best abilities in the world but if they won't go off - or indeed you can't break free or even block - it's pointless.

Ill keep experimenting though; I tried Crest a while back; I agree, it looks better in theory but didn't get along with it. Leeching I love, and Ill dig my battalion out next. Its.... somewhere....

Oh and EF321. "Harbinger + radiant bastion.... uh... don't do that" - Lol! Took me a minute but, yeah....
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    or indeed you can't break free or even block - it's pointless.

If you are facing big zerg they will kill you during 1 GCD of stun. That's why Immovable is BiS - you get 6s of stun immune for the same cost as if you were breaking, and now you don't have that 1s of vulnerability AND increase the damage blocked so significantly that with new CPs you hit the cap of 80% mitigation - that is, block 90% of incoming damage.
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. I just couldn't get it to go off at the 6 second mark. Spammed it like mad, nothing was working. It may tbf be my connection / pc. It's not the best :(