The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Attack speed cheat or hack?

vms11934
vms11934
✭✭✭
Last night in Cyro I was fighting someone (mostly running and healing) and his attacks were super fast (like every 0.5 seconds). I was thinking he must be using that set where light attacks are 50% faster and hit for 50% more damage. When I looked at the death recap, there were not only no light attacks, but it was 2 Executes, a Dizzying Swing and a couple of other things (procs I think). Each one was only for 2-3k and death recap only shows the last five attacks. I know you can switch bars to animation cancel, but it doesn't work for Execute if I recall correctly and it certainly doesn't work for Dizzying Swing/Wrecking Blow. So it is possible to cheat in this way, on console no less?
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lag. Happens literally all of the time. It's just some times it's more noticeable than others.
  • Kaysha
    Kaysha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or lag switch
  • vms11934
    vms11934
    ✭✭✭
    Sluggy wrote: »
    Lag. Happens literally all of the time. It's just some times it's more noticeable than others.

Didn't experience anything like this last night before or after this encounter (wasn't even 1v1 the entire time, we just got separated from the larger battle at the end.
    Kaysha wrote: »
    Or lag switch

That is something I have heard about but I couldn't recall the term. Is there a way to report suspected cheaters? And more importantly, can ZOS actually determine if they are using a cheat/hack?
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vms11934 wrote: »
    Last night in Cyro I was fighting someone (mostly running and healing) and his attacks were super fast (like every 0.5 seconds). I was thinking he must be using that set where light attacks are 50% faster and hit for 50% more damage. When I looked at the death recap, there were not only no light attacks, but it was 2 Executes, a Dizzying Swing and a couple of other things (procs I think). Each one was only for 2-3k and death recap only shows the last five attacks. I know you can switch bars to animation cancel, but it doesn't work for Execute if I recall correctly and it certainly doesn't work for Dizzying Swing/Wrecking Blow. So it is possible to cheat in this way, on console no less?

Did it look something similar to this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohJ91nRKFe0
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.
  • vms11934
    vms11934
    ✭✭✭
    Because he said "I wonder what it looks like on his [end]" I don't know; maybe (he is on PC though and I am on PS4). It definitely wasn't an instant death type thing, just a continuous series of very fast attacks that all ended up being abilities.

As regards the guy in that video (and those like him), the bigger the cheats the smaller the man (if he can be called such).
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because he said "I wonder what it looks like on his [end]" I don't know; maybe (he is on PC though and I am on PS4). It definitely wasn't an instant death type thing, just a continuous series of very fast attacks that all ended up being abilities.

As regards the guy in that video (and those like him), the bigger the cheats the smaller the man (if he can be called such).

What happened in the video isn't a cheat. It's a bug caused by lag (I believe). Yeah this is on PC.
    When you've been playing long enough you don't really notice what you're doing, it's almost done automatically. So you press a sequence of buttons, out of habit, but nothing happens, eventually all skills you just pressed reigns down on the enemy almost instantaneously; Macro Slice.
    It's a bug that's been coming and going through the years. It's there for a period of time and then disappears again. This video, for example, is 5 years old but since then I've noticed it on least 3 other occasions (that I can remember).
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hopefully you're on PC. Get an addon, such as FTC, and examine the combat log after a fight. The death recap does not include the exact times when the attacks happened. The combat log from an addon does. Just turn off the scrolling combat text in FTC, since that kills performance. Only retain the combat log for examination after a fight.

I have studied detailed logs in many similar cases, when I felt aggrieved. This will teach you a lot about the game. For example one thing that's not much talked about is the effect that the 400ms ultimate delays have had on the followup attack, such as executioner. An ultimate and execute typically land in the same second.

It doesn't take cheats / hacks to explain things like this. Delayed skills, including ultimates, and skills with travel times are quite enough. This has been proven time and again to me by looking at combat logs.

Lag compounds the issue. You don't see what's happening. You can go from 100% health to 0%, due to a desync. That's an unfortunate reality, but doesn't mean your opponent cheated. Luckily a detailed combat log shows server timings. You can retrospectively see what your opponent has actually done. The death recap is far too coarse. It is utterly useless to help you understand your opponent's play.

Fengrush's macro slice video is really old. I remember a time when stuff like that used to happen to me. I think another thing that happens (at least historically): If you get CCd while dodge rolling, it may take you an extra GCD (global cooldown / an aditional second) to recover. Sometimes this is reflected by you lying flat on the floor. A further scenario is multiple players attacking you and CCing you while you are breaking free. It used to be that you only get CC immunity at the end of the break free. I think that may still be the case. Thus it is / was possible to get double CCd when multiple players attack you.

I think the term "macro slice" is unfortunate in so far as it hints at the perpetrator using macros, which I don't think was ever necessary to cause the effect. Has the game been buggy? Yeah. Have you ever had full control over this? I don't think so. I still run into all sorts of bugs these days. DK Leap not working. Stun timer being a huge number and every bash causing you to get charged for a break free. Being "macro sliced", though, is rare for me these days. In fact, I can't remember the last time.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Server lag does not mean we are seeing serious lag.
  • Einstein_
    Einstein_
    ✭✭✭
    This kind of bug happends tzo me pretty offten, always together with animation cancling (especially in combination with synergies and la/skill/bash weaving). but its just visual i never could bypass any CCD or cast anything faster then intented.

Then on the other hand there is the classic desync from incomming dmg. This happends especially with projectiles with slow travel speed (snipe/overload). This can mostly only be seen by the person getting the dmg, for the caster everything looks normal.

i have arround 4800h of pure PvP playtime and i never saw a cheater in the last year, but i saw huntreds of bugs.
  • vms11934
    vms11934
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I read the comments and realized it's not a cheat but a server bug (which I have never experienced on my end and I use crit rush/stampede a lot), though the terms 'macro slice' does seem to suggest otherwise.

As for what happened in my case, I don't know. I won't get hung up on it. If it's legit, I would like to know how to do it, being that I play a 2H stam sorc.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.
  • spotzhopz
    spotzhopz
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who also plays on PS4, here lately I've been noticing skill delay has been a lot worse, and every once and a while when I spam my skills while they're not working, they will all of a sudden all go off at the same time leading to like a burst of abilities. Unfortunately for me it usually just means I run out of Stam because it spams all my buffs
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fwiw, light attacks don't always show up in your recap.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Sun7dance
    Sun7dance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You wanna see the opposite? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQlyXMjrLoM

PS5|EU
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    spotzhopz wrote: »
    As someone who also plays on PS4, here lately I've been noticing skill delay has been a lot worse, and every once and a while when I spam my skills while they're not working, they will all of a sudden all go off at the same time leading to like a burst of abilities. Unfortunately for me it usually just means I run out of Stam because it spams all my buffs

On PC I witnessed very clearly today an enemy took zero damage while 2 or 3 of us had been attacking for a few seconds - I was just thinking OMG what to do but then he suddenly moved a meter away and his HP went from full to zero instantly.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think any of this lags is possible to force. If my internet lags for me in BGs, I outright skip many attacks and it doesn't end up good for me.

This must be server lagging, calculating later than it should, sending you results later than it should. Which means you don't see enemy actions (because they are visual result of server sending you packets), and then you see everything that players buffered into server happened fast.

I don't have solid proof, but my guess that those computations can also have some altered logic, I noticed that dodgerolls have extended dodge period in cyro (medium lag) compared to BGs (no lag).
  • jerj6925
    jerj6925
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watched a templar using same skills as me have this insane attack speed compared to mine in PVE, when I asked him how all his attacks go off so fast he tried telling me he was running ring of hunt... when I told him that does not speed up your attacks he then tried telling me he gets a lot of practice from years of play... I said that still does not explain why you can get off at least 4 skills for every one of mine? he then sent me an invite to join his guild and said if I joined he would ... help me with that.

[snip]

[Edited to remove inappropriate content.]
    Edited by ZOS_Ragnar on October 7, 2021 6:06PM
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What platform are you using? And if on console what system?

For consoles there is a add on that can be used with controllers that have rare triggers and that add on counts one trigger push but with it properly set up it can register as if multiple buttons were hit. That add on is cheating and quite a few so called players on PSN in ESO and other games are using it.

Why, because in BR when it was really low population and we were not seeing any lag that night. I left the keep with a friend after just popped our defensive buffs and we were on our back/defensive bars no less, out of no where another player drops both of us within the 3 seconds. .

My resistance on my back bar is around 24K and I had an additional 15% damage reduction from abilities either slotted or that were used. I have over 30K HP. My friend similar setup with HP but instead of damage reduction he has around 31K resistance. I was only hit with lethal arrow as was my friend and by the same player.

Together we were hit 10x. That ability takes almost a second to proc and yet we both got hit 5x by it and died within 3 seconds. Even with lag that shouldn't be happening. That's cheating.

Edited by MEBengalsFan2001 on October 7, 2021 5:58PM
  • vms11934
    vms11934
    ✭✭✭
    jerj6925 wrote: »
    I watched a templar using same skills as me have this insane attack speed compared to mine in PVE, when I asked him how all his attacks go off so fast he tried telling me he was running ring of hunt... when I told him that does not speed up your attacks he then tried telling me he gets a lot of practice from years of play... I said that still does not explain why you can get off at least 4 skills for every one of mine? he then sent me an invite to join his guild and said if I joined he would ... help me with that.

I should have taken him up on the offer, I already know what he was using and it is cheating but at this point I figure zos dont care, I dont care. I may just start using it my self, cant beat em should just join them.

So what was he using?
    What platform are you using? And if on console what system?

PS4
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    For consoles there is a add on that can be used with controllers that have rare triggers and that add on counts one trigger push but with it properly set up it can register as if multiple buttons were hit. That add on is cheating and quite a few so called players on PSN in ESO and other games are using it.

should be doable with pc as well but isn't skill firing limited to one per gcd by server?